Chat Zone for The Big Big Trip Journal!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Your last post really brings back memories.

Willie
Hey, Willie!
This is the "chat thread" ^_^
You can't come in, drop the "memories" line and toddle off again!^_^

Have you navigated by the moon?
(Were you one of the Magi?^_^)
Have you been seduced by a smile?
Or do you just like a good baked potato?
^_^

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Thanks Ian.
I tried to listen last night but I fell asleep😊
I'll try again tonight!^_^
😄
Maybe give it a go the next time you're in a park watching the antics.

Dwn

Your Mexico City posts have brought back some great memories of the week we spent there. I only got to Coyoacan for one evening, but absolutely loved it.

Attachments

• 4B0C2CAF-2FE4-49AA-90B8-B70D821E5B06.jpeg
    4B0C2CAF-2FE4-49AA-90B8-B70D821E5B06.jpeg
    115.9 KB · Views: 6
Your Mexico City posts have brought back some great memories of the week we spent there. I only got to Coyoacan for one evening, but absolutely loved it.
It's looking like you were there around the time of the Day of the Dead.
The plaza in the background has been closed since I arrived in June.

The dead figures in the seats are interesting. Back in October/November restaurants had seating limits. I thought they were using the figures to fill spaces, but clearly not!

😄
Maybe give it a go the next time you're in a park watching the antics.
I was out for a walk tonight and I was listening to a podcast about a dog - but alas (not really!) it was in Spanish!

Look up Negro Matapacos, a Chilean street dog who has become the face of civil protest for a moving doggy story!

By the way, that mural you like has contact info on it!

IaninSheffield

Veteran
I was out for a walk tonight and I was listening to a podcast about a dog - but alas (not really!) it was in Spanish!

Look up Negro Matapacos, a Chilean street dog who has become the face of civil protest for a moving doggy story!

By the way, that mural you like has contact info on it!
View attachment 581354
Negro Matapacos - that's one feisty canine!

Hadn't spotted that handle & hashtag, but unfortunately they don't appear to be too active. The artist's name is top right though - Leo Tezcucano. I suspect works like that might be rather out of my price bracket though. 😉

Negro Matapacos - that's one feisty canine!

Hadn't spotted that handle & hashtag, but unfortunately they don't appear to be too active. The artist's name is top right though - Leo Tezcucano. I suspect works like that might be rather out of my price bracket though. 😉
Well, I'm not the one with a Yorkshire reference in my handle, but I reckon a flattery filled email could knock a few pesos off the price!^_^
My understanding is that such an idea is what drags you folk out of bed in the morning!^_^
Then, you could look for the canine to match the door!

cwskas

Über Member
OK, I stand chastised.

I spent a lot of time in Mexico during one phase of my life. My wife and I almost moved to Guadalajara to give our 5 children under 13 extended exposure to a different culture and intensive Spanish training. My job changed and that was no longer a workable option.

What we liked best was the genuine kindness and sense of welcoming we felt from almost everyone we met. The fabulous food (I was especially fond of one open air restaurant that offered a blackened tuna that still makes me drool just thinking about it) … the casual atmosphere … the large markets containing countless small sellers of just about anything you can imagine … all still bring smiles to our faces.

I acknowledge this comment is only slightly better (maybe) than the first.

Willie

cwskas

Über Member
Apparently, I'm going to be on Mexican TV tomorrow morning! And I don't even have a tv!^_^
Being on tv wasn't what got me excited - it was doing a short interview in Spanish and not making a total eejit out of myself!

Maybe we can catch it on YouTube! ^_^

My amor, the Palace of Fine Arts

Hmmm, did you get yourself a drone for that picture? Very pretty view!

Thanks for the update, it came just before I was headed to sleep. Very nice pictures and commentary as usual.

Willie

Hmmm, did you get yourself a drone for that picture? Very pretty view!

Thanks for the update, it came just before I was headed to sleep. Very nice pictures and commentary as usual.

Willie
Thanks Willie!
No drones!
The photo was taken from atop this beauty...

That's the Torre Latino, the first skyscraper in Latin America.
It looks a bit dated and dilapidated now, but then I have to remember it's in a "seismically interesting" area^_^

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Every Sunday, from 8am to 2pm the City Government hands over 23 prime kilometres of street to cyclists. Volunteers and Police man the junctions, access roads are taped off, volunteer tents are set up approximately 4 or 5km apart for repairs.

Since this Sunday city bike ride seemed like a 'thing', I went searching. The "Muévete en bici" apparently, but what an amazing facility(?)/event(?)/experience(?).

I look to the Netherlands for cycling which is embedded in the national psyche - something like the Muévete probably isn't needed there? Bike-friendly cities such as Portland, Oregon have annual bike festivals such as Pedalpalooza, and more regular rides, but nothing I'm aware of on the scale of the Muévete. If I had to name a city that gave over so many km of its streets to cyclists, once a week, every week, and had been doing so for 14 years(!), CDMX would not have figured in my top ten guesses. Perhaps that says something about my ignorance of other cultures, especially those where English is not the primary language? Or perhaps it says something about our lack of ambition and poor attitude towards cycling in the UK that nothing remotely of that scale exists here. Perhaps it's linked with all of the other accommodations and allowances that people generously make for one another that you described in this and many of the other posts - the Muévete is just one more manifestation of Méxican-ness?

The night rides sound like they might be worth checking out, if you have the chance.

Another fascinating post, HOT, thanks.

Returning to your future, of what/where you would like to go next on your adventure. [Previously, I had mentioned back north of the border. I apologise, as I was partly imposing ideas of what I would like to do. I know some parts of the US and canada very/quite well and would like to explore more, by bike or otherwise].

"If it hasn't become clear yet, I'm finding México to be a very friendly and welcoming place,..." So, again, why not explore other areas of this country you have found yourself living in far longer than originally imagined?

Since this Sunday city bike ride seemed like a 'thing', I went searching. The "Muévete en bici" apparently, but what an amazing facility(?)/event(?)/experience(?).
It is all of those things!
A wonderful facility, a fun, uplifting event and definitely something to experience.
Without meaning to be big headed, I've cycled in some great places - Sunday in CDMX is up there with the best.

I look to the Netherlands for cycling which is embedded in the national psyche - something like the Muévete probably isn't needed there? Bike-friendly cities such as Portland, Oregon have annual bike festivals such as Pedalpalooza, and more regular rides, but nothing I'm aware of on the scale of the Muévete.
There's no need in NL, although I am aware of 1 or 2 day rides.
However, groups of students (on school trips) or retirees are regular sights.
But.... My understanding is that back in the 50s/60s local governments made town centres traffic free on Sundays as a part of a move to using cars less. The Dutch infrastructure and attitude to cycling is something that has been fought for, built up, planned for.

If I had to name a city that gave over so many km of its streets to cyclists, once a week, every week, and had been doing so for 14 years(!), CDMX would not have figured in my top ten guesses. Perhaps that says something about my ignorance of other cultures, especially those where English is not the primary language?
Ian, I was here & didn't know about it!^_^ I looked online, saw it was postponed due to Covid, and had a completely distorted view of what it actually was!
Ignorance can be a hard word.
Remember, my initial response when I saw it was puzzlement. It was only when I actually joined in that I actually "got it".

Or perhaps it says something about our lack of ambition and poor attitude towards cycling in the UK that nothing remotely of that scale exists here.

That's a toughie.
There is a different attitude here to bikes - they are a part of normal, every day traffic. People work on them.

( One thing I left out of the post had to do with the typical "workbike" here in the city - an old, battered MTB with a large, steel rack at the rear to carry crates of cargo. I'll see a few of those on a Sunday, crate gone, a cushion in its place and some father-child time being enjoyed - the majority of passengers are girls! )

But there's a wider societal difference too. The biggest difference, to my view, is a lack of (critical) judgement of others. People give and receive the benefit of the doubt all the time.
I'd imagine that any attempt to get something similar off the ground could easily get bogged down in training volunteers, insurance, rules - covering all the negative bases, in other words. I mean, could volunteers set up tents and carry out repairs without insurance?
Similarly, how would dogs react? And people to dogs?^_^

I did post recently about increased cycling infrastructure in European cities due to Covid. The response wouldn't be classed as optimistic^_^. On a cycling forum!! Imagine what a Daily Mail reader would make of it!

If ever there was a time to get a popular bicycle event off the ground, surely it would be the summer that a pandemic is winding down when lots of people have gone out and bought bikes?
Is it not true that a lot of towns and cities are dead on Sundays due to out of town shopping centres?

A thing I think that is worth remembering is that the membership of a cycling forum is a teeny tiny subset of people who actually ride bikes.

Perhaps it's linked with all of the other accommodations and allowances that people generously make for one another that you described in this and many of the other posts - the Muévete is just one more manifestation of Méxican-ness?
Yes!
The things I see on a Sunday are the things I see every day - basic respect, good manners, inclusion, smiles and a little craziness.
The things I don't see on a weekday, things like anti-social behaviour, also are absent on a Sunday.

I made a point last Sunday to slowly cycle past the grumpiest, meanest looking Policeman I saw on the route and say "Gracias". In an instant I received a beaming smile.

I'd challenge even the most cynical anti-cyclist to wander (even on foot!) the route on a Sunday and not be moved by all the sights to be seen.

The night rides sound like they might be worth checking out, if you have the chance.
Riding at night is fun in this place!!^_^Life threatening, but fun!^_^

cwskas

Über Member
An early morning bike ride is a great way to see firsthand . . .

A fitting description for your whole post! It is so refreshing to find a time and place where there are few motorized vehicles (or none) and a relaxing, energizing ride. I always smile when I see someone riding their cycles, even when I am confined to my car.

Thank you once more for sharing your observations and photos. You have truly become a blogging ambassador for CDMX!

Willie

Top Bottom