Chat Zone for The Big Big Trip Journal!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Great to see you back on the road and enjoying your riding. In that last entry, some of those roads look like the kind of thing I'd be riding!

I spent 6 weeks in Mexico, nearly 20 years ago now, I wasn't cycling, but working for an overseas expedition company. I can remember some of the places I visited, but I really must go and dig out my notes to check out some of the places I did go. Your trip is bringing back some good memories though, it certainly is an interesting country. One place that really does stick in my mind though was the train ride through the Barranca del Cobre, a slightly touristy thing to do, but stunning none the less. Hope it continues to go well for you and I'll keep an eye out for your updates.

Great to see you back on the road and enjoying your riding. In that last entry, some of those roads look like the kind of thing I'd be riding!

I spent 6 weeks in Mexico, nearly 20 years ago now, I wasn't cycling, but working for an overseas expedition company. I can remember some of the places I visited, but I really must go and dig out my notes to check out some of the places I did go. Your trip is bringing back some good memories though, it certainly is an interesting country. One place that really does stick in my mind though was the train ride through the Barranca del Cobre, a slightly touristy thing to do, but stunning none the less. Hope it continues to go well for you and I'll keep an eye out for your updates.
Thanks Chris! I was thinking that you'd love some of those roads! Especially downhill!^_^ There were times I was a tad envious of your bike and typical loading! And a buddy with one of those elastic tow ropes would have been handy on the way up!^_^

I'm familiar with that train trip. There are some bikepacking routes up there too! Unfortunately, while the train route is deemed safe, the area surrounding it, is troublesome, to say the least.

I'm glad to read that good memories are stirring up!

Thanks!

"...entirely blue! I have no idea if this is the famed Bluebird..."

I thought you were taking pictures during your travels!!
(not just of the trees and views!)
I saw the bird twice (or two different ones). The first time in a tree, too far away to grab my phone, the second time hopping on the ground beside me. Sorry! I wasn't risking scaring him off!^_^

IaninSheffield

Veteran
This, though? Very Mexican!
img_20210510_131146-jpg.jpg
C R A Z Y !! Not a mention anywhere that this might happen. I talked to a couple of Policemen in Orizaba about how confusing it was
img_20210514_113020-jpg.jpg

'Jings, Crivvens, Help ma boab!' or 'What in the name of all that's holy...!!!'

IaninSheffield

Veteran
I wonder if I’m the only one who’s found @Hobbes’ posts since leaving CDMX …? Disconcerting? I’ve been casting around to think why. The general structure has changed little if at all, and the quality of writing sustains its high standard. So why did recent posts make me feel so unsettled?
Perhaps the content? Posts composed during the enforced ‘rest’ period became regular treats - welcomingly anticipated, comfortably familiar, reassuringly (mostly!) positive. Over the handlebars airborne antics and visa renewals aside, there was rarely a sense of hazard or peril. And in these times especially, that was heartening, at least for me as a reader.

Now back on the road and all that’s changed. Who knows what’s around the next bend or over the next crest? Will the road that’s indicated on the map be rideable … or even there?! When and where will food, water and a place to sleep be found?

It’s taken a few posts but at last I’ve managed to rationalise things. Isn’t it always the same when setting out on tour, at least for the first few days? It takes a while to settle into the rhythm of the road and becoming accepting of whatever it generously (or grudgingly!) provides? Of course there will be highs and lows (often literally!); touring life almost obliges us to ‘treat those two impostors just the same’, whether it’s a simple, spicy, and lovingly prepared meal, or a broken pannier rail.

I hope @Hobbes is taking as much delight in his onward journey as I’ve begun to settle into reading his unfolding account. Where next I wonder?

netman

Veteran
I wonder if I’m the only one who’s found @Hobbes’ posts since leaving CDMX …? Disconcerting? I’ve been casting around to think why. The general structure has changed little if at all, and the quality of writing sustains its high standard. So why did recent posts make me feel so unsettled?
Perhaps the content? Posts composed during the enforced ‘rest’ period became regular treats - welcomingly anticipated, comfortably familiar, reassuringly (mostly!) positive. Over the handlebars airborne antics and visa renewals aside, there was rarely a sense of hazard or peril. And in these times especially, that was heartening, at least for me as a reader.

Now back on the road and all that’s changed. Who knows what’s around the next bend or over the next crest? Will the road that’s indicated on the map be rideable … or even there?! When and where will food, water and a place to sleep be found?

It’s taken a few posts but at last I’ve managed to rationalise things. Isn’t it always the same when setting out on tour, at least for the first few days? It takes a while to settle into the rhythm of the road and becoming accepting of whatever it generously (or grudgingly!) provides? Of course there will be highs and lows (often literally!); touring life almost obliges us to ‘treat those two impostors just the same’, whether it’s a simple, spicy, and lovingly prepared meal, or a broken pannier rail.

I hope @Hobbes is taking as much delight in his onward journey as I’ve begun to settle into reading his unfolding account. Where next I wonder?

That's interesting... I was the opposite! The longer @HobbesOnTour was in CDMX, the more disconcerted I got! I felt a large sense of relief once the cycling recommenced :laugh: Not sure what that says about me! Maybe wanderlust is programmed in to me...

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Tomorrow will be a belt and braces pannier repair, new cassette, new chain and new rear gear cable
None of that would be a big deal ... when at home! But crikey, on tour?
If the pannier problem is the one you illustrated with a photo recently, I'll be interested to see how you effect that repair. It looked like you needed replacement screws/bolts?
And do you carry a cassette lockring tool, plus appropriately large spanner on tour? Again, crikey! Or, knowing you might have to change the cassette, did you pick up the tools in CDMX?
I know this is mundane chit chat compared with the bigger picture stuff, but I'm always keen to learn how folks deal with mechanicals whilst away.

None of that would be a big deal ... when at home! But crikey, on tour?
If the pannier problem is the one you illustrated with a photo recently, I'll be interested to see how you effect that repair. It looked like you needed replacement screws/bolts?
And do you carry a cassette lockring tool, plus appropriately large spanner on tour? Again, crikey! Or, knowing you might have to change the cassette, did you pick up the tools in CDMX?
I know this is mundane chit chat compared with the bigger picture stuff, but I'm always keen to learn how folks deal with mechanicals whilst away.
I'm happy to answer pretty much any question, so fire away!

Look, I'm as mechanically inept as they come but I trained myself to do all the basics on this bike.
It really is the great advantage of an old bike - simple technology and I'm not afraid to get in and have a go.

Yes, the pannier issue is the same. Last time 3 of the 4 screws came loose, this time all of them. Because I nabbed it instantly the screws were safe and the other bits inside.
The fact is, I was not happy with the spares so, yes, I got metal bolts, nuts and washers.
I did read once of a guy advocating that everyone should replace the plastic "bolts" ortlieb use.

I'll be checking daily as I go along now and hopefully prevent the same happening again.

I can't really fault Ortlieb - I'd have no problem recommending them to anyone (but not my newer ones).
They have been subject to a lot of violence the last few days - all that feckin' rumblestrip!

As for the cassette, I do have a lockring but no chain lock thingy for leverage. That's a trip to the bike store to get it loose.
(There may be times when I will carry an extra cassette far from likely spare parts stores. In that event I'll use my existing chain for leverage).
I have an adjustable spanner, not huge, but not small.
I always carry a spare gear and brake cable. The only fault I can find with Roccado is the cable for the front derailleur can be a bit exposed. I think I have changed the front gear cable 3 times on "tour".

I've read of folks changing out every nut/bolt to a uniform size so that they can carry one hex key. That's great! Until you need a spare and it's different!^_^

I also have a crank extractor, used twice so far, once the day I was at the Wright Brothers thingy, and one of my last days in CDMX on a fully loaded shakedown ride.
A little girl nearly fell off her bike when her pedal came off. Her mother was trying and failing to fix it, so I offered my help. Seeing the problem, I told them I had the tool, dug it out of my panniers and fixed it on the spot.
For that little girl's reaction alone, it's been worth the weight^_^.

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Thankss for that detailed response. Hope writing it didn't take time away from the repairs themselves 😉
They have been subject to a lot of violence the last few days - all that feckin' rumblestrip!
I came across them occasionally in NZ. 'Orrible things!
To me it would make more sense incorporating them with the white line itself, thereby providing an earlier warning for the errant driver.
Seeing the problem, I told them I had the tool, dug it out of my panniers and fixed it on the spot.
I see a bright future as 'Mobile Bike Repairman'👨‍🔧
I'm happy to answer pretty much any question, so fire away!
You may come to regret that!
Another rather mundane, perhaps even intrusive, aspect of touring is cost. Can I be frightfully rude and ask what your daily expenses are like in Mexico? A typical simple hotel for example? A meal from a roadside vendor, or from a simple 'restaurant' in the evening? Thanks.

Last edited:

cwskas

Über Member
IaninSheffield said:
I wonder if I’m the only one who’s found @Hobbes’ posts since leaving CDMX …? Disconcerting? . . . Posts composed during the enforced ‘rest’ period became regular treats - welcomingly anticipated, comfortably familiar, reassuringly (mostly!) positive. . . . Now back on the road and all that’s changed. Who knows what’s around the next bend or over the next crest? Will the road that’s indicated on the map be rideable … or even there?! When and where will food, water and a place to sleep be found?
I too was enjoying the regularity of the posts and was thoroughly entertained by the excellent descriptions of the people and the places of CDMX.
IaninSheffield said:
I am glad he is on the road again, and enjoying pictures of new places, all of which are new to me now, having never been south of CDMX. I am spending more time looking up where he is and info about the area.

All the tools and spares he carries makes me wonder where he puts anything else!
HobbesOnTour said:
For that little girl's reaction alone, it's been worth the weight ^_^.
And once again a clear indication of why he does what he does.

Willie

Last edited:

IaninSheffield

Veteran
What an amazing building!

Just had to find out more about it, but didn't get much further than...

Built in the XIX century, this property was known as “La Casa de los Altos”, because at that time this was the only two-level house in the whole city of Tehuacán. The owner was José Domingo Rodríguez de Apresa.

Some years later, the house was confiscated by the church when it was known that it was bought using tithes. It was originally given to The Franciscan community, however, they decided not to use it. Years later it was offered to the Government but they couldn't take care of it, so it remained abandoned.
Inside this Moorish style building you will find a mural painting that describes the history of the town named “The 5 Regions of Tehuacán” Take a close look at this painting, it covers a space from top to bottom, arches included. You will also find another one that honors one of the most popular personalities of Tehuacán and that is named “A New World”.
There's a more detailed account here with some interesting historical images for comparison.

What's intriguing me, and what I haven't been able to find, is what significance the text under the arches has.

What an amazing building!

Just had to find out more about it, but didn't get much further than...

There's a more detailed account here with some interesting historical images for comparison.

What's intriguing me, and what I haven't been able to find, is what significance the text under the arches has.
Uh oh! I'm being fact checked!^_^^_^

I saw the text but I was so tired that I couldn't follow along!

I am not one of the people who needs to know everything about everything, I just know what I like!^_^ And I loved those arches!

The guard was of no help and seemed amazed that I was spending so much time there!
In fact, it's quite common for folk to show little appreciation or awareness of some of the stunning beauty I see.

Case in point; I pulled in at a viewing point yesterday, high up in the mountains. A white wall to lean on and admire the view. Right below the wall, this....

Rubbish everywhere!
Not posted as a criticism, just the reality. I think Ireland in the 70's and early 80's was similar

Thanks for the links. It appears y'all are doing more research than me!^_^
I didn't even bother to look up Tehuacán in my guide book. 😊 I preferred to wander and see where I ended up.

I'm going to return to your "disconcerting" post. I wanted to see if anyone else chimed in.
And the costs.
I just need a bit of time and internet that doesn't take 15 minutes to load a photo^_^

Top Bottom