Chat Zone for The Big Big Trip Journal!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I did have a guided tour with two friends once of Chapultepec Castle in Mexico City. But it was by an indigenous guide and so quite a different perspective I suspect than what others may have gotten.
Hi Willie,
Chapultepec castle is the one place that I really wanted to visit but it remained closed the entire time I was in the city.
I couldn't even get close - the approach was covered by guards, could only catch glimpses from various vantage points.

Dwn

Just been catching up with your posts after your departure from Mexico City - interesting as always, and a welcome corrective to the news stories which give us a very different picture of Mexico.

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Covid Interlude, Sunday, May 30, 2021, El Camaron Yautepec to Jalapa
That really did seem like an incredibly tough day, not least because those you encountered, rather uncharacteristically seemed to offer little solace. Not only were the gods not smiling down on you, but were apparently scowling!
Covid Interlude, Monday, May 31, 2021, Jalapa to Tehuantepec
I was almost sweating just reading your account of the heat, which would seem to be becoming an ever present companion. Given the terrain and remoteness(?), trying to keep hydrated would really worry me. With your penchant for figaries, is that ever a concern, or are comedors far more abundant than I might expect?

That really did seem like an incredibly tough day, not least because those you encountered, rather uncharacteristically seemed to offer little solace. Not only were the gods not smiling down on you, but were apparently scowling!
I went back and read what I wrote and I wouldn't classify it as incredibly tough. ^_^ I did laugh a lot! At myself, mainly, but I did find it long. Especially the last part of the last leg.

Interestingly, I hadn't put together the various people I encountered in one theme. The day seemed to have many different sections.
The shirtless man and presumably his wife stand out for me. That was uncomfortable.

I was almost sweating just reading your account of the heat, which would seem to be becoming an ever present companion. Given the terrain and remoteness(?), trying to keep hydrated would really worry me. With your penchant for figaries, is that ever a concern, or are comedors far more abundant than I might expect?
Hydration is a concern, but not a major one. I invariably set off with 3.5 - 4 liters of water every day and keep it topped up precisely because of my penchant for figaries^_^ and the ability to camp if I come across a good spot.

I'm consuming vast quantities of fluids this past week and it doesn't always agree with me. The worst is trying to drink warm water. There are times I'd happily sell my soul for a cold drink!^_^

My biggest concern is too much sun, or too much humid heat, the latter is scary. Shade offers a respite from the sun, there is no escaping humidity.

At the end of the day, given where I am, I am pretty sure that in the event of emergency I could always hold up an empty bottle and it wouldn't be long before I had a full one. Or a lift.

Comedores are random and can be bunched together. Also, day of the week has an effect. Roads or places popular for recreation may have some at weekends or evenings, but not at 9am on a Monday morning or not if rain is forecast.

CharlesF

Guru
After reading about 1st June, I thought “that’s an epic ride -111km”. Then 2nd June knocked it off top spot, for these latest 3 days anyway. Humidity is cruel! I’m glad Wednesday ends us virtual riders on a high. Atmospheric photos as always.

Last edited:
Today’s post is great reading and the usual evocative pictures brought it to life. Thanks for entertaining me!
Thanks, Charles
It's going to be a while before there's another ....
After 18 months Montezuma finally avenged himself on me (for what I have no idea!) and moving out of range of a bathroom is probably the scariest part of the trip so far!😊

cwskas

Über Member
My biggest concern is too much sun, or too much humid heat, the latter is scary. Shade offers a respite from the sun, there is no escaping humidity.
I was on a (car) trip for 8 days with a grandson, most of it above 8000 ft elevation in very dry conditions. I got really spoiled.

My first day back I rode 100k. It was hot but overcast for the first 2/3. No clouds and very humid in midday sun after that. I often pulled off in any shade accessible!

But I didn’t have mountains or busses or trucks or rain to complicate things! ^_^

I just spent all morning catching up on your posts. Very relaxing and enjoyable.

Willie

Last edited:

IaninSheffield

Veteran
It seems like I'm in a different world. A green, mountainous world.
I'm not seeing anything I haven't seen before in terms of plants or trees or mountains, it's just that there is a density and a proximity that increases the impact.
It's all really happening then! Guatemala?
I wonder though, if you hadn't passed through a border post and gone through all the immigration procedures, would you have known you were in a different country? Are the peoples completely different? For example, when i travel from England into Scotland, i only really know I'm in a different 'country' from the accents of the people I encounter. Or is it more like travelling from the Netherlands into say Germany?

CharlesF

Guru
Wow! Reading the latest journey made me realise that I had become “at home” with your stay in Mexico!!! Now I have ventured into unknown territory and I need to do background reading on Huehuetenango and Guatemala in general.

Exciting times!

Top Bottom