Chat Zone for The Big Big Trip Journal!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's all really happening then! Guatemala?
I wonder though, if you hadn't passed through a border post and gone through all the immigration procedures, would you have known you were in a different country? Are the peoples completely different? For example, when i travel from England into Scotland, i only really know I'm in a different 'country' from the accents of the people I encounter. Or is it more like travelling from the Netherlands into say Germany?
Oooh! That's a bit philosophical!^_^

The landscape had been changing in Oaxaca and Chiapas so that isn't all that different. It's just more intense.

People are more likely to call out to me. "Hey Gringo" "Bye Bye" and other American sayings like "Hey Man, how are you doing?"
Whistling is common too.

Lots of beeps from passing cars and trucks but a bit confused on tone. Today a guy in a pickup nearly scared me off the road.

Food is different and there's a lot less fresh food/fruit for sale on the side of the road. More shops too and less stalls.

Houses have become bigger and with more detail. Columns and balconies are common. Given the size of the houses I reckon there are multiple generations living in them.

Like México there are lots of car washes, but here they use the English name. There seems to be a strong American influence.

The women wear indigenous clothing, especially in rural areas and carry things on their heads.

The thing is, I only dipped my toes in México really. There were differences between CDMX, Oaxaca and Chiapas.
One thing for sure, the south is very different to the north!^_^

So, to answer your question I'd certainly be aware of being in a different area, but not necessarily a country (ignoring things like currency and car number plates).

Wow! Reading the latest journey made me realise that I had become “at home” with your stay in Mexico!!! Now I have ventured into unknown territory and I need to do background reading on Huehuetenango and Guatemala in general.

Exciting times!
You've ventured into unknown territory???^_^
What about me!^_^

Any info you dig up will be gratefully received. Huehuetenango is in the news at the moment because of all the heavy rain! ^_^

IaninSheffield

Veteran
I had a bit of an incident today that resulted in the loss of my phone
Eek! Hoping this was no more than a mishap and didn't involve nefarious activity.
When I made it clear that I had nothing for him he sat down beside me and gave me a pretty intimidating stare.
But if we're taking bets, based on recent accounts and the fact that it's currently the rainy season in that part of Guatemala, I'm going to have a shilling on water damage.
There's two kinds of rain here. Rain and downpours. This was a downpour
My camera is still suffering the consequences of rain a few weeks ago and my phone goes haywire
Any other bets?

cwskas

Über Member
Fantastic reads over your last week. I was again out of contact for much of the week with grandkids. I try to maximize my opportunities to camp and travel with them when they are out of school. But today I determined to catch up!

Exceptional scenery, especially the clouds in the mountains. Hopefully you will be back online soon with a new sleeping pad as well as phone.

Willie

Fantastic reads over your last week. I was again out of contact for much of the week with grandkids. I try to maximize my opportunities to camp and travel with them when they are out of school. But today I determined to catch up!

Exceptional scenery, especially the clouds in the mountains. Hopefully you will be back online soon with a new sleeping pad as well as phone.

Willie
I hope you're playing them some good, Texas music in the car on all these road trips!😀

IaninSheffield

Veteran
I really was hoping for a water-related cause for the phone loss, but...
Ciudad de Guatemala
Getting robbed at gunpoint can kind of influence your opinion of a place and I'm afraid that I'm not big enough to get over that.
What to say, other than we're relieved to hear you're OK!
I can't imagine the emotions that must have swirled through your mind since the event. Fear to frustration to anger; maybe acceptance, relief, gratitude?
I guess the 'cup half full' view is to, as you seem to have done, reflect on the kindness and generosity of the overwhelming majority of the people you've encountered on your travels. One awful experience might weigh heavily on one side of the scales, but adding the wealth of positive encounters on the other must surely tip the balance?

You didn't mention a visit to la policía. Not worth the effort?

netman

Veteran
Unfortunately that young man who held you up is on a path to a life of suffering and pain - nothing good will come to him if he continues on that path. You seem to be taking it very well given the obvious shock it will have caused - well done for that @HobbesOnTour and well done for not reacting and just letting him get what he wanted. I hope you recover your equilibrium as quickly as possible - stay safe!

Thanks, folks.
@IaninSheffield no, I didn't bother going to the Police.
There are no shortage of armed guards on buildings but few Police to be seen (at least in comparison to México.
I'd normally advocate that everything should be reported, but honestly, I didn't see the point.
I couldn't describe the guy, could only say a small orange car (never saw the driver) and I just wanted to get through the blocking, changing and setting up the new phone - I'd be lost without my maps^_^

@netman , you're right, of course. No good will come of that chap if he stays on that course. It's very obvious after visiting the city that there is a very large gap between the haves and the have nots. I can see where young people, men especially, don't have the skills, the education or the prospects to close that gap by more honest means.
And, as I have been told, Covid has ramped up the pressure on the have nots.

Now for a few small towns to recharge my touring batteries.

Good to hear you're safe and well, not the greatest of experiences, but thankfully it wasn't much worse.

On another note, it's great to read of your other experiences in Guatemala and the photos look fantastic. I look forward to reading of your continuing adventures.
Thanks, Chris.
You're so right - it really could have been so much worse.
Having read about travelling in these parts I have come across a few horror stories.

It's like I've put on my "scaredy cat" glasses and everything is filtered through them at the moment. That's not good, but it is getting better.

To be honest, the photos don't do the place justice! There is something magical about the sky, clouds and mountains (or volcanoes) and the way they combine - and then promptly change^_^
I can stand in the same spot and just wait a few minutes and Mother Nature will change the light, the shade, the sky and the clouds!

Yesterday looking back

Same spot looking forward

A bit busier and noisier than the Black Forest but it'll do me for now!^_^

And mystery everywhere.....
(I keep telling myself that's a good thing!^_^)

In good news, I've just had confirmation that boats are allowed to cross from Panama to Cartagena, Colombia again!
Good news at the right time!

Thanks for the kind words

Top Bottom