Chat Zone for The Big Big Trip Journal!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cwskas

Über Member
I've decided that every now and then I'll pick ten of those orphan photos and throw them up with some commentary in an attempt to "fill out" some of the detail of this little trip.
Excellent idea!
It's all well and good to say that I have a right to be in the road, it's a different matter with an ancient, heaving, huffing and puffing articulated truck bearing down on me.
Well said. I often take quite a detour to avoid some of the bridges in my area after having been passed by an 18 wheeler on a bridge in a no-passing zone. Not quite the same option in a new place.
Unfortunately, they are bolted to the ground and the bolts often remain ready to ambush a tyre!
Yikes!

Willie

cwskas

Über Member
somewhere there are videos of a grinning cyclist riding his bike!

Today was a high "smiles per mile" day.

I'm not an observer, but a participant!

There are days when everything gets as close to perfection as we are allowed and today was one of those days.

Great post and fine pictures today! "Smiles per mile" is definitely a winning description.

Willie

netman

Veteran
That's a common thing I hear from people along the way that God is going along with me, looking after me, keeping me safe.
It's not a theory I subscribe to, but I do find it reassuring in that so many people display basic, Christian principles day in day out. I may not believe in a God, but I am certainly benefiting from those that do.
Very well said indeed! Respect for others' beliefs is something that's sadly lacking these days.

And serendipity is a very beautiful thing ^_^. So glad you're enjoying Honduras - sounds (and looks) like a wonderful place.

So glad you're enjoying Honduras - sounds (and looks) like a wonderful place.
It really, really is. And I really, really am.

Looking at the big map in the hostel I was a bit shtumped at the size of the place - I'm really only dipping my toes in and used to looking at small maps on my phone. (I have one "big" map for all of Central America).
Most cyclists cut through El Salvador and have maybe one or two days in Honduras. There is not much info out there for the other areas, nor indeed Nicaragua on the other side.
But it's definitely a place where more time could be spent, safety permitting.

The goodwill is palpable.
You've an idea of the scenery.
The roads are either really, really good or pretty bad but the traffic is always great.
Turning on to that highway a few days ago I felt deflated leaving the smaller, rougher mountain road behind.
It didn't take long for me to completely revise my opinion.
It's not just that people smile and wave - it's the energy and enthusiasm they put behind it. It's infectious!

netman

Veteran
The comment on seeing things on a larger map got me thinking and so I decided to plot the epic journey so far on a Google map :notworthy:. @HobbesOnTour has kindly agreed I can share the link, so here you go: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1C4CxxXQvj5sW-fwUWvp65A19Rl5iLsdg&usp=sharing
Pretty impressive eh?!

The comment on seeing things on a larger map got me thinking and so I decided to plot the epic journey so far on a Google map :notworthy:. @HobbesOnTour has kindly agreed I can share the link, so here you go: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1C4CxxXQvj5sW-fwUWvp65A19Rl5iLsdg&usp=sharing
Pretty impressive eh?!
I've kindly agreed??^_^

I love it!
It's even got the Dutch leg and Bremerhaven!
Thank you for the effort and time.

I'm feeling as proud as punch! It's amazing where we can end up once we throw a leg over a bike!

Thank you @netman and to @cwskas for his version earlier too.

Sorry! I couldn't resist!😊

I've been following this travelogue from day 1 - mostly reading it on my phone.

Today, I read the latest installment on the "big computer", with a proper screen.
It's a revelation - the photos are so much more impressive on a big screen.
Well sir, you have an advantage over the author! I make my posts on a phone so I have very little idea of how the pictures look on a proper screen!😊
It's my "Something to look forward to" when this is all over.

I know myself that sometimes I take a photo specifically including some detail that I want to highlight but that detail is often missed on the small screen when I'm trying to figure out what to include.

If ever I needed a definition of a "First World Problem"^_^

Glad you're enjoying it!

IaninSheffield

Veteran
I am a bad, bad tourist
Mebbe, but looking up the etymology provided:
1772, "one who makes a journey for pleasure, stopping here and there" (originally especially a travel-writer) https://www.etymonline.com/word/tourist
So maybe you're a natural.
I'm not comfortable using Public transport to extend my exploration range
Is this an understandable Covid related concern, or is there something else about public transport more generally?
The front derailleur trigger hasn't been springing back into place. I opened it up and could see no blockage. I guess the spring needs replacing but as I can draw it back manually it's not on the urgent list. I also have a few
I had a similar problem on an older bike recently and couldn't spot the cause. After a bit of searching I found it's a common problem caused by hardening grease, often easily cleared with a bit of WD40 or similar.

View: https://youtu.be/Tj2gLVRhApE

Or of course, it could be the spring!

I'm still here avidly following your journey and reports, even though I may not contribute much to this thread. Often I have just wanted to say great picture or make comment/query about a particular incident/place but am often looking at something you visited/wrote up days ago, so procrastinator that I am, it never happens.

I have been following your trip on a map for a while (why did I not do this earlier when your were in the US, I do not know, it is so obvious!), I find it adds more enlightenment about your environs. And suddenly we have a brief map discussion here! I was thinking similarly to you about seeing merely a small part of Honduras when you see the whole country on a map. And yet you have seen so much more than most of us have or ever will. And @netman 's wonderful, no doubt painstaking, project. Chapeau!

I have been thinking of how you choose your route, not necessarily tomorrow nor long term, but say 3 days hence. Your choice of road options will presumably become smaller as you traverse Costa Rica and Panama. So, for example, gong through Guatemala and now Honduras, how did you choose the route you have taken? Presumably there is a vague plan? Because of something you have read? Or somewhere you wish to visit? Or to avoid a big volcano?! Or just to see where it leads?

Looking forward to seeing which direction you take after Colombia. Yes, I realise it some way off at the moment, yet parts of South America fascinates even though the nearest I have been is Cuidad Juaréz (on US border across the river from El Paso)!!

Top Bottom