Chat Zone for The Big Big Trip Journal!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I really like that first photo you posted on leaving Antigua of the volcano with the smoke meandering from the top. Great shot! I like a lot of the others too . . . there seems to be much more contrast on average in Guatemalan terrain.

Willie
I kept looking at that volcano and not being sure if it was smoking or not - lots of low cloud can mess with the view, but that morning there was no doubt!^_^

Yes, Guatemala seems very compact, like lots of things are compressed together. Today (Sunday) for example, at a low altitude I was looking down on clouds!

The swiftly changing weather, the sheer power of the sun and the ever present clouds can change a scene from one moment to the next.

IaninSheffield

Veteran
What's the weather been like for the past coupla days? Has it been warm? :whistle:

If I could have bottled the goodwill I felt leaving that little shack I'd be the wealthiest man on the planet.
Frida has a good home.
And there, right there, the scales overbalance back in your favour ... as you no doubt expected they might. How reassuringly heartwarming, yet completely unpredictable.

And there, right there, the scales overbalance back in your favour ... as you no doubt expected they might. How reassuringly heartwarming, yet completely unpredictable.

At the risk of being a total twat, I'm going to elaborate a little, because, yes, I was pretty confident that these parts (and the people) could restore some balance but there's also work I have to do on my own side.

A few years ago now I was diagnosed with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD).
It was a recent event that triggered it and with the help of an excellent therapist* was quickly brought under control.

What was fascinating to me was the process.
As I understood it, a traumatic event often doesn't get filed away properly in the filing cabinet of our mind. It gets flung in, the door slammed shut to float around the filing cabinet often popping up at unexpected times - the slightest connection can bring the "trauma file" front and centre.

What needs to be done is for the file to be taken out, studied, understood and then filed away properly. That way we don't come across it by accident or tangenitaly.

What that means in practice, is effectively reliving the experience with the understanding that now, in a safer environment, we can be more objective about the experience. This can help significantly with perspective and context, especially with older trauma.
Once perspective, understanding, context and whatever else is relevant is gained, then the file can be put in its proper place.

And that's what I did with this gun experience. I took some time, quiet time, to reflect and remove all the "excitement" out of it. Then it could be filed away, more normally.

However, there's a second stage to this - or at least there is for me - and that is the difference between knowing something and feeling something.
I knew that my experience was unfortunate and rare and that there are many positive experiences every single day. However, I needed to feel that.

That was my goal getting out of the city and I was confident that it was achievable. I think the few days after Guatemala City prove that my confidence wasn't misplaced.
I wonder if my experience would be the same closer to home?

To emphasise the importance of the first step (and what has triggered this long-winded response) is that earlier today, walking a dirt track in the middle of nowhere I rounded a bend to meet a young man walking and waving a long, shiny machete. My first instinct was to smile and say "Buenos Días". Of course, I got a cheerful reply in return. My first thought wasn't trauma, nor was my first feeling.

Job done.

*I'll admit to being one of those who was sceptical of "therapy", however it happened at a time in my life where I was making changes and was open to new things.
Now, I take the attitude that if I had a troublesome knee I'd go to a physiotherapist, why not the same idea for a troublesome mind?

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Some of this may be graphic but is included to give the full picture of a long distance tour in foreign parts.
I think I might rather have faced a youth with a gun. Actually, if I did face a youth with a gun, I suspect the second debilitating event might have quickly followed!
I can't imagine what facing this whilst on tour must be like, but hope you're now fully recovered.

I say this rather sheepishly, especially after my previous observation, but is it possible you picked up this episode from yesterday's stop at the friendly comedor? Having little experience of such things, I'm interested to know whether it's possible to trace back to potential causes, identify what the likely contributory factors were, and aim to avoid them in the future? Or would that restrict your options for sustenance so radically, you'd never get to eat?

I think I might rather have faced a youth with a gun.
We're all different!^_^
Having recently experienced both I'd beg to differ!:laugh:
Actually, if I did face a youth with a gun, I suspect the second debilitating event might have quickly followed!
I can't imagine what facing this whilst on tour must be like, but hope you're now fully recovered.

I think I'm as fully recovered as I can expect to be, thanks.
I say this rather sheepishly, especially after my previous observation, but is it possible you picked up this episode from yesterday's stop at the friendly comedor? Having little experience of such things, I'm interested to know whether it's possible to trace back to potential causes, identify what the likely contributory factors were, and aim to avoid them in the future? Or would that restrict your options for sustenance so radically, you'd never get to eat?
Yes, it is quite possible.
I know enough about food poisoning to know that things need to work through the system before becoming apparent, except in extreme cases such as really bad seafood.

It's next nigh to impossible to accurately point a finger short of scientific analysis.

It could well have been the water I drank with the ladies.
However, using new electrolyte powder I think I may have overdosed and that may be a cause too. (I'm not an expert).

Or it could simply be a bug in one of my water bottles.

Or it could be that I still have some kind of bug within me that will kick in every now and then. Some cyclists have suffered on and off for months!

If I ran into the Honduran cousins of those ladies tomorrow would I change anything?
Probably not. It strikes me as rude.
However, I now have a full supply of tablets so if I feel at risk I'll try to be preemptive. ^_^

CharlesF

Guru
Love the “Irish” exchange with the tame Yank! Makes you think “World Power, wow, heaven help us.”

Love the “Irish” exchange with the tame Yank! Makes you think “World Power, wow, heaven help us.”
Ah now, Charles.
It's only one person and I'm pretty sure he's kept well away from the levers of power^_^

It reminds me of an old joke....

When God was creating the world he waxed lyrical about one island he was going to create...
A green land with gentle hills and many rivers, a soft climate. Crops farmed there would be healthy and bountiful, animals prized for their quality.
It's people would have great storytelling skills and be recognised around the world as poets.
He'd give them the secrets of brewing a black, magical beer and delicious, golden whiskey.
St. Peter suggested to God that it might be a bit unfair on everyone else that such a place got such favourite treatment.
"Not at all", said the Big Man (or Woman!), "wait until you see who I give them as neighbours!"^_^

And now I know why you are such a good storyteller. ^_^

Willie
Thanks, Willie 😊

It's not much to do with me - I'd challenge anyone to travel in these parts and not be inspired! The landscape, the weather and especially the people.
A man (or a woman!) would need to be a statue to not be invigorated, inspired and enthused.
All I do is take what I see and feel and stick it on some (virtual) paper.

I wanted some special memories and Central America is delivering!

Weaving through the countryside....
Birds calling in multiple bird languages, traffic friendly, tooting, waving and offering sustenance. Believe it or not I can have more chats in the countryside than in a city surrounded by people!

Your turn!^_^

Top Bottom