Chat Zone for The Big Big Trip Journal!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm still here avidly following your journey and reports, even though I may not contribute much to this thread. Often I have just wanted to say great picture or make comment/query about a particular incident/place but am often looking at something you visited/wrote up days ago, so procrastinator that I am, it never happens.
Thanks for posting!
If I may....
I get a real kick when someone replies on here! It was the motivation for requesting this Chat Thread way back at the start - to have a relatively easy system for maintaining a dialogue. Mixed in on the Travelogue it would be far more difficult for me. (And again my thanks to the Mod team).
The thing is, all my posts are behind me (blog rule #1: don't be too accurate with current location!) so a comment on the latest post is already behind me.
Of course, it's also possible that a comment might inspire something I'd forgotten or just a long winded reply like this one!^_^

What is very handy is when people quote the post from the Travelogue.

I have been following your trip on a map for a while (why did I not do this earlier when your were in the US, I do not know, it is so obvious!), I find it adds more enlightenment about your environs. And suddenly we have a brief map discussion here! I was thinking similarly to you about seeing merely a small part of Honduras when you see the whole country on a map. And yet you have seen so much more than most of us have or ever will. And @netman 's wonderful, no doubt painstaking, project. Chapeau!

Yes! Netman's map is cool! And Willie's before him.

I've been thinking similarly recently. In NL I saw lots and lots of laden cycle tourists and in most cases was too shy to approach. Witnessing the waves, salutes and sheer goodwill that is so visible in these parts has I hope, changed my attitude.
I have been thinking of how you choose your route, not necessarily tomorrow nor long term, but say 3 days hence. Your choice of road options will presumably become smaller as you traverse Costa Rica and Panama. So, for example, gong through Guatemala and now Honduras, how did you choose the route you have taken? Presumably there is a vague plan? Because of something you have read? Or somewhere you wish to visit? Or to avoid a big volcano?! Or just to see where it leads?

This could be a long one!^_^
Since I got close to the Pacific back in México my main routing focus was to stay in the mountains! Too darn hot!^_^
Lake Atitlán, in Guatemala I avoided, for example, because what I read reminded me too much of San Cristobal de las Casas - backpackers high, drunk and pretty obnoxious. I got to see it through magic clouds!^_^
Ironically, one place I wanted to visit outside of San Cristobal was very disturbing and so I have barely written of it. I should have had a better idea what to expect but the reality was too strange.
What can look interesting far away at home can be very different in the flesh.
My first town after Guatemala city was pure fate - a road accident encouraged me to detour, I liked what I saw so I stayed.
The lovely Parque Aurora from a few nights ago was from iOverlander.
My border crossing into Honduras was chosen for the least climbing (bad belly).
There's not much info on the mountains of Honduras on CGOAB. Tim Tower and the Shaws went this way. There's nothing for other parts of Honduras.
Once I get to Costa Rica it's pretty much one road.

Another factor is weather. Simply, anything offroad is out in the wet season.

Three days out I have a rough idea where I'm heading but that can change if other opportunities exist. I have my notes (made several years ago now), iOverlander and whatever Google or Osmand throws at me. And people. Although with people estimating distances (especially uphill!) can be unreliable.

I don't like to overload myself with information nor checklists. Top ten places to visit? Not for me (besides a lot are closed!). Travelling solo I can please myself. I've met and known too many people who seemed stressed wondering if they were in the "best" place, rushing here to there and missing the middle bits. For me, the middle bits are often the best bits. But that's me.

On the subject of routes, I do wonder if there is a particular mindset, especially in North America
Two recent threads on the ACA forums were interesting to me;
In one, a retired lady asked for route advice for a tour of unspecified length. Cue all the various long distance route suggestions. I suggested thinking of the places she'd like to visit and linking them together. No response.
In another, someone on tour with older paper maps and newer gps files was conflicted because gps didn't match paper.
It seems that the thought process is "there is a route. I need to follow it and only it". Off the route there be dragons!
(My limited experience in the US is that my own (cycle.travel) routes were far superior and safer than the ACA.)
Looking forward to seeing which direction you take after Colombia. Yes, I realise it some way off at the moment, yet parts of South America fascinates even though the nearest I have been is Cuidad Juaréz (on US border across the river from El Paso)!!
The thing is, my focus has completely shifted now. When I was "planning" this seasons were important and getting from A to B within X time was important. Now? Not so much. Covid has banjaxed so much that any kind of a long term plan is foolish, and knowing me, possibly detrimental.
Until the other day and seeing photos from Ushuia, Argentina had become a concept. I say to people that's where I'm heading but I don't know if I believe that.
My goal right now is to milk what I can out of each day. I'm so bloody lucky that there's so much to milk I could make a mountain of cheese!^_^

If I make it to Colombia, then a big evaluation will need to be made. Weather in Peru will not be good on current timelines. But I'll cross that bridge when I need to.

Sorry for rambling - I was having my morning coffee😊

Thanks for posting!

Mebbe, but looking up the etymology provided:

So maybe you're a natural.

Is this an understandable Covid related concern, or is there something else about public transport more generally?

I had a similar problem on an older bike recently and couldn't spot the cause. After a bit of searching I found it's a common problem caused by hardening grease, often easily cleared with a bit of WD40 or similar.

View: https://youtu.be/Tj2gLVRhApE

Or of course, it could be the spring!

Thanks Ian.
Apologies for responding out of order - Shadow's post was more exciting.😊
Yes, I had investigated Youtube and saw similar advice.
I'm not sure anything is stuck, though. I haven't seen any WD40 here at all. I could probably use some of my meths to clean it out but the oil I have to relubricate everything is a bit waxy and I'm not sure I wouldn't be storing up more problems!
It works for the moment so that's the most important.
If I do get to Panama via boat I reckon that after a sea crossing on a boat would be a good time for a deep clean, new cables and lube. And if it pleases the Touring Gods a 34 tooth cassette!^_^
If that doesn't do it, I can consider a new shifter and possibly upgrade to 8 speed.

Thanks!

in honour of the day if they ever surface I'll break my own rules and post it here. Today was that special!

Is this an understandable Covid related concern, or is there something else about public transport more generally?
Sorry! Missed this earlier.
It's purely a Covid precaution. To be honest, I'd have loved to have taken a day in Guatemala and travelled back a road I'd covered on the bike. A very different perspective, I'm sure!
Also, I'd like to have tried one of the Collectivos in CDMX. At the start scary and intimidating but with a bit of Spanish not nearly so scary.

I don't really mention it in the posts but I'm very conscious of Covid and take precautions.

Top ten places to visit? I've met and known too many people who seemed stressed wondering if they were in the "best" place...
Oh, how true. I often ask folk if they would return to a place that was a highlight from their top ten list and often the reply would be "no, I don't think so, I've been there and seen it". This to me is an indication that the place may not be that great to visit in the first place!
...missing the middle bits. For me, the middle bits are often the best bits. But that's me.
How true, again! Yes, that is you! Part of the 'It is the journey, not the destination' type narrative.
When I was "planning" this seasons were important and getting from A to B within X time was important. Now? Not so much. Covid has banjaxed so much that any kind of a long term plan is foolish
I think planning is important. It is also as important to have the ability to be flexible and have the wisdom to recognise when to veer off plan. I think you have both.
I say to people that's where I'm heading but I don't know if I believe that.
Not sure I do either; but it will be fun to watch where you do go and reading all about it here! We CC'ers are fortunate.
My goal right now is to milk what I can out of each day
You are exceptional at this, please carry on.
Weather in Peru will not be good on current timelines
I have a query about this but it can wait - you have so, so many adventures to discover before south america.
Sorry for rambling
Please, no apologies. It is not rambling.
I haven't commented before. I'm overwhelmed by so many aspects of your journey, from the motivation to day-to-day reality. I feel a desire to know more but to boil down my curiosity into single questions would feel inadequate
Eloquently put. Welcome to the thread!

Thanks for posting the pic of your 2 roadie friends.

And just FYI @HobbesOnTour, should you come across any rabid Honduran footy fans, you can express your sympathy for their Olympic men's team losing their first match.

....... I haven't commented before. I'm overwhelmed by so many aspects of your journey, from the motivation to day-to-day reality. I feel a desire to know more but to boil down my curiosity into single questions would feel inadequate.
Welcome aboard!
Overwhelmed and inadequate are two words that I often read online when it comes to bike touring.

It's riding a bike! ^_^ There's not much simpler than that! The more we do the easier it becomes.

I chatted about my motivation early on in this chat thread. Anything else, ask away. If I don't want to answer, I won't^_^

.........leaves one wanting to know more of his story (kind of like how I feel about your journey!) How would he recount that same exchange? What is his 'back story'? You've got the kernel of a story there, and you could go so many ways with it. Of course, you/we will never know the truth of it (expect perhaps by some outrageous coincidence - which could also form a part of the story!) Endless speculation. Something to exercise the mind whilst the pedals turn.
This is the thing - we are all different! I have no urge to know his back story at all.
What I take from it is that a man reacted, interacted with a total stranger for some reason that he couldn't express properly and that I suspect was not quite known to himself.
I find that to be wonderfully brave and a lesson to be absorbed.

The irony is that with his English he was the likeliest participant in a chat that I've met for a while^_^

cwskas

Über Member
Take a bike, stick a load of bright, uncoordinated bags on it, dress in the clothing that least resembles "proper" cycling gear and ride your bike between Ojo de Agua and Danlí in the misunderstood but wonderful country of Honduras. In fact you don't even have to ride - get a lift, lean the bike against a railing, and wait. The coolness will be bestowed!

People will be so genuine, so energetic and so frequent with their greetings, their cheers and their encouragement that unless you have a heart of stone you too will feel like the coolest person on the planet doing the coolest thing ever. No matter how hot it is!

I have a friend who rhetorically asked me once, "How do you get a baby to smile?"
And then he answered, "Smile at the baby!"

I think that works in most situations and with most people.

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Last night, catching up with an episode of University Challenge, one of the questions was along the lines of:
"Which central american country has the largest body of fresh water in proportion to its land area, and shares its name with that of the country in which it sits?"

Reckon you'd have been a shoo-in for that ;)

Hello all,
I've an idea bouncing around in my head and have little access to internet at the moment to flesh it out so I thought I'd ask here if anyone can help.

I have heard that "anyone" can now get a Covid Vaccine in the U.S.
Can anyone verify if that is true? Especially in the case if someone without citizenship, social security number etc.
And travelling from abroad.

If that's the case I may take a trip up to get the vaccine.
I could do it in two ways - up for 3 weeks to get both shots or up twice.

If anyone knows or could throw up some links that would be great!

Muchas Gracias!

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Sounds like a smart move, if practicable, and of course if you can gain entry to the US. The US Embassy in Nicaragua site might provide some helpful info https://ni.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information-2-2-2-2/
CDC information on testing requirements https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

As far as getting jabbed is concerned, from the CDC, it would seem you would be in with a shout:
CDC does not require United States citizenship for individuals to receive a COVID-19 vaccine.
Although, also from the CDC:
The federal government is providing the vaccine free of charge to all people living in the United States, regardless of their immigration or health insurance status..

I've had a quick scan around some state Coronavirus response sites. It seems to be a mixed bag, with some states more 'generous' than others.
California -
Do I need to be a California resident to get COVID-19 vaccine?
No. Vaccine eligibility is based on age. Residency or immigration status does not matter.
Missouri -
COVID-19 vaccines are open to anyone age 12 and up, regardless of residency, ...

The Wall Street Journal has helpfully gathered links to relevant state websites - https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-to-get-a-covid-19-vaccine-a-state-by-state-guide-11611703769 - so that might provide a jumping off point, depending on where you want to travel to.

Apologies, but the above is no more than a scattershot of possibly helpful (or unhelpful) information with nothing definitive. Maybe boots on the ground in the US might have access to something more concrete ... or is an Irish Embassy likely to be as helpful as previously?

If there's anything specfic you need a hand with, let us know.

Top Bottom