Chat Zone for The Big Big Trip Journal!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
FYI I've just tried to upload the latest updates, but the internet is dodgy and I can't get any pics up.

I'm nearing the end of the Natchez Trace (I'll miss it) but will soon be crossing the Mississippi!

Tomorrow may be a leisurely day so hopefully I can get a better connection!

CharlesF

Guru
Still waiting in anticipation for the next entry as something different happens each read, and I love the pictures of the roads and views from the road, gives us an idea of what you see as you ride along.

A suggestion for far in the future, when the trip is finished. I would be very interested in how the bike is set up, gearing tyres, etras, etc; and what you carry in your panniers, what clothing, tools, how much food. All the detail!

Still waiting in anticipation for the next entry as something different happens each read, and I love the pictures of the roads and views from the road, gives us an idea of what you see as you ride along.

A suggestion for far in the future, when the trip is finished. I would be very interested in how the bike is set up, gearing tyres, etras, etc; and what you carry in your panniers, what clothing, tools, how much food. All the detail!
Oh dear! I'm not a huge fan of gear lists and my bike is far from being anything fancy. I'm a believer in KISS - Keep It Simple, Stupid! 😀
And as for gear, I pack what I think I'll need and keep me comfortable.

I will, when I've a bit of time throw up a list of stuff. Weight weenies prepare to be horrified!! 😀😀

netman

Veteran
The hospitality at the church sounds amazing. And glad you're taking the dogs in your stride now! Enjoy Texas and thanks for the brilliant read so far... :notworthy:

The hospitality at the church sounds amazing. And glad you're taking the dogs in your stride now! Enjoy Texas and thanks for the brilliant read so far... :notworthy:
Thank you!
As for the dogs, I think a big part of it is that I stopped having multiple encounters every day - my anxiety level dropped as a result.

On top of that, there are lots of fences in Texas. That, coupled with ridiculously high speed limits means that more dogs don't have access to the roads.

It all helps!

Just to come back to this for a sec. I was thinking about this and all going well I'll be taking a few weeks in Mexico to learn some Spanish. I should have the time to do it then and can give a decent review of what's working & what isn't.
I'll probably forget do it's your job to remind me! ^_^

CharlesF

Guru
Day 90 seems magical, it all sounded like a perfect day.

I was intrigued with the purple paint, do you have a picture of any; you definitely need to know the local traditions/rules with that!

Day 90 seems magical, it all sounded like a perfect day.

I was intrigued with the purple paint, do you have a picture of any; you definitely need to know the local traditions/rules with that!
I'll get you a picture. That's something I picked up from CGOAB.

I would copy & paste info that I thought might be useful as I came across it. That info was all dumped in a document file, normally by country. Then those files get transferred to my Kindle so I have a mass of info (disorganised, maybe), always with me.

footloose crow

Über Member
Love the laconic style of your writing and your honesty. Admire how you have stuck to your principles and beliefs in the face of adversity.

Cycling alone brings out the introspective observer in all of us I think. It is good that you talk to people - sometimes when I have been cycling on my own I forget how to talk and just watch. Feel very inspired by your journey, the challenge to us all to not simply express jealousy but to take the first steps (or pedal revolutions!) ourselves.

It must be lonely and frightening at times for you. There are many on this forum that think about you and hope you continue to journey safely and well. You are not alone! Vaya con dios.

Love the laconic style of your writing and your honesty. Admire how you have stuck to your principles and beliefs in the face of adversity.

Cycling alone brings out the introspective observer in all of us I think. It is good that you talk to people - sometimes when I have been cycling on my own I forget how to talk and just watch. Feel very inspired by your journey, the challenge to us all to not simply express jealousy but to take the first steps (or pedal revolutions!) ourselves.

It must be lonely and frightening at times for you. There are many on this forum that think about you and hope you continue to journey safely and well. You are not alone! Vaya con dios.
Thank you! Those are very kind words.

As far as I'm concerned, this Travelogue has two purposes - the first is a record for me, something I can look back on in my dotage - the second is to inspire. If I'm reading that someone is feeling inspired then I'm a happy man!

It may sound bizarre but I've had just as much fun at times pootling around Holland on weekends! Even though I lived there for over 20 years, I'd often pretend to be a tourist - for the full tourist experience 😊.

My first bike tour as an adult was along the Danube, a company moving my bags from hotel to hotel! 6 years later I'm doing this! If I can do it, pretty much most people can! It's all in the head.

Again, thanks for the support.

Top Bottom