Chat Zone for The Big Big Trip Journal!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Kinky friedman i just have to google.
Ps, don't watch Badlands.
Too late! 😀:laugh:

Just read up to your impending exit from Texas Hobbes, which you appear to have loved.

Was a bit puzzled/confused by this statement though:

>>I'm really glad about the way I did this part of the trip. As opposed to following a route I was visiting places that I wanted to visit. There were times if I was just following a route I think I would have considered abandoning it.

Can you explain/say more?

@Blue Hills
Lots of people select a route, for example, The Atlantic Coast Route or the Southern Tier and ride that. The "route" is what they are riding.

The US stage of this little adventure was about visiting places I wanted to visit - the cycling just happened to link them together.

If I had set out to cycle the Atlantic coast route I could well have aborted it once I discovered the reality of the roads suggested.

I'd easily imagine that if I had no particular grá for Texas the highways recently passed and the ones to come (if I continued west) would also be testing.

I'm glad that I chose places I wanted to visit first, then organised to cycle between them rather than selecting a route and then trying to figure out what's interesting along it.

The fact of having regular destinations with different attractions was a great motivator and balm in times of discomfort.

Honestly, if I had three months to cycle coast to coast and all I had to focus on was the arrival on the other side I'd probably become a little crazier than I already am. Just the mental focus of "getting to the end" would probably tip the balance away from being able to stop and smell the roses.

I'm of the opinion that just about anyone can bike tour on just about any bike. People tend to focus on gearing, weight, ascents etc and neglect the mental gearing, mental & emotional weight we're lugging around and the mental & emotional rollercoaster we can ride on a tour. When we get the balance right between physical, bike & gear and mental preparation we can really enjoy ourselves!

Now I've to go & cross a border!:laugh:

Last edited:
You are one of those NASA space missions of my childhood Hobbes - but on a bike - hope to hear you on the other side of the static fog.

cwskas

Über Member
FYI

I'm about to head into Mexico where my internet coverage is an unknown quantity. Don't be surprised if there's no updates for a while, or if they become sporadic.

I'll keep writing ( journal keeping is a really good habit and very enjoyable, I find!) but I may not be able to post.

I look forward to whatever thoughts and pictures you are able to post. It has been very inspiring to vicariously ride with you. I am preparing for my first multi-day trip and posts like yours to Blue Hills above are very good advice.

cwskas

Über Member
Day 106, Friday Dec 27, Brackettville to Del Rio 54km

Before I leave Texas, I have to say what a fantastic place it is!! I rode into Texas on December 08 and I'll be leaving 20 days later - and I've still only seen a tiny piece of the State! It's huge!!

I loved it, but then again I've wanted to visit for a long time.
There are many beautiful places and many roads. It is a shame there are not more cyclists taking advantage of them. I hope you are able to return sometime.
Texans appear to be genuinely friendly....
:hello:

CharlesF

Guru
Lying in hospital and I have caught up. The pictures of Mexico are very different to Texas, strange how a man-made border has different scenery on either side, or that’s my perception after reading the entries. I’m so glad that the ordinary people continue to be pleasant.

In one you mentioned your trousers had worn out, did you manage to find replacement? I must be boarded going down to that level of detail!

Lying in hospital and I have caught up. The pictures of Mexico are very different to Texas, strange how a man-made border has different scenery on either side, or that’s my perception after reading the entries. I’m so glad that the ordinary people continue to be pleasant.

In one you mentioned your trousers had worn out, did you manage to find replacement? I must be boarded going down to that level of detail!
Sorry to read you're in hospital, especially at this time of the year. Hoping it's nothing serious.

To be honest, until today the landscapes were quite similar between Texas and Mexico - the main difference being scale and lack of trees. I'm no botanist, but the scrub looks similar, just more stunted south of the border. That, combined with fewer trees means I can see more!

As for my trousers......yes! Your focus on detail is a little disturbing! 😀
However, if you'd read closely enough I picked up a pair in Austin anticipating the inevitable! 😀

Take care of yourself

CharlesF

Guru
I’m fine, thanks. Re the trousers funny how that stuck out and then I never remembered the solution! I think it was because I was please that you are “ able” to cycle sans Lycra.

Top Bottom