Chat Zone for The Big Big Trip Journal!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
If I want to use this new phone for the old account I need to access the old account. And that's what I can't do.
Yes, I understand.
But it would allow you to link the 2 accounts, I think?
A wise man (my company's IT trainer ^_^) once said: never set up 2 step verification on the same phone you want to access, in case you lock yourself out :tongue:

But it would allow you to link the 2 accounts, I think?
Of course! So long as you have access to both accounts:laugh:
A wise man (my company's IT trainer ^_^) once said: never set up 2 step verification on the same phone you want to access, in case you lock yourself out :tongue:

Isn't hindsight great! ^_^

The issue is my Hotmail account is my recovery email but for whatever reason Google only wants to use the phone.
(I have emails from Google (to my Hotmail) informing me that someone (ME!!!) tried to access the account and Google stopped them!

It's email only for me from now on.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Security questions on the internet: I usually put the name of my cat.
This was fine 20 years ago. Meantime I had another dozen cats, sometimes I forget the name I put down :whistle:
Are you gonna tell us how you passed the flood? I'm dying to know ^_^

IIRC, one can also set up security questions.
Again, hindsight!
They don't do that anymore but if an account is old enough (and mine is) they will be a part of the recovery process.
Unfortunately, I cannot begin the recovery process - I am in a hellish loop revolving around the phone number.

Between the Travelogue, Berman's map, purchases (storage space, Duolingo etc.) and links to a PayPal account I am pretty confident that I can prove "ownership".
The really, really frustrating part is I cannot start that process for whatever reason

I have alerted @Shaun of your predicament, in case he can help.
I have also asked him about the retrofitting of your travelogue.
Thank you.

I've reached out to people I know in several countries who work in IT. Other than an 'in' with someone in Google there seems like there is little to be done.

My best hope at this stage is to wait until I'm back in NL and hopefully my old laptop is still alive. Assuming, of course, that I can remember it's password!^_^

Security questions on the internet: I usually put the name of my cat.
Now that's just silly to be posting online! :laugh:

This was fine 20 years ago. Meantime I had another dozen cats, sometimes I forget the name I put down :whistle:
I used girlfriends ....... And had the same problem:laugh:

Are you gonna tell us how you passed the flood? I'm dying to know
I will.......
When I know that I can go back later and add in the missing posts :laugh:

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Truly terrific topiary in Tulcan.
'Normal' service would appear to have resumed.
I have decent WiFi now so will take advantage of it. Enjoy
Indeed we will, and so glad you found the stamina to fight through recent trials and tribulations to resume the adventure.
I asked him about the quality of the back road to El Angel - great he said. I'd asked my coffee guy yesterday and he said the same.
I wonder if they might have been thinking of another 'back road'?
I'm always dubious about responses from non-cyclists to questions like 'How far is it to ...' or 'Is the road to x hilly?', but you'd hope for a more accurate response from a fellow two-wheeled traveller. I'm now imagining the scene later that day of an Ecuadorian racing snake wafting along some smooth tarmac, conversing with other members of his cycling club - (In spanish, obvs) 'So the gringo on his pantechnicon excuse for a bike asks me about the quality of the back road to El Angel. And I said ...' Cue much:giggle:ing
Now this I loved!!! A huge, long mural on the road south
Amongst all the wonderful street art you've shared, that is exceptional!

Looking forward to seeing how/whether Ecuador insinuates itself into your heart in the ways that Mexico and Columbia did.

Truly terrific topiary in Tulcan.
:laugh:
Thanks for showing up my lack of vocabulary ^_^

Normal' service would appear to have resumed.

Not sure if it has. I'm feeling uneasy on the bike. It was easier to process the Guatemala incident because I'm rarely in big cities and it was (I think) a freak circumstance. I'm finding it harder to process this one because it happened on the bike (where I spend a lot of time) in a situation I didn't even suspect and happens every single day.
I wonder if they might have been thinking of another 'back road'?
Unlikely but there is a problem with maps in Ecuador, apparently. A lot of roads don't appear on maps. Google is more crap than usual. Mira's streets don't exist according to them.
the gringo on his pantechnicon excuse for a bik
What did you just call Roccado????? :boxing:
Amongst all the wonderful street art you've shared, that is exceptional!
It really, really is! The scale, the vibrancy, the sheer length of the thing and the quality is just stunning.

I was lost in this one

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Great to see you back updating your blog. Ecuador is a country I've spent a good few months traveling in, it's such a wonderful and diverse country. I really loved my time there and found the people really friendly and accommodating, though this was nearly twenty years ago, I'll be interested to read how you find you now.

I'm sure some folk think that pushing a bike on a bike tour is heresy but I really don't care^_^. I'm not convinced that I'm a cyclist so "traveller" suits me better. And walking and pushing is travelling. Besides, get a bike and ride Tulcan to El Angel and then talk to me about pushing!^_^

Given the road you were on, pushing is a perfectly valid option, however, us hardy off-road touring types tend to call it "hike a bike" it sounds more rugged than pushing.^_^

Ecuador is a country I've spent a good few months traveling in, it's such a wonderful and diverse country. I really loved my time there and found the people really friendly and accommodating, though this was nearly twenty years ago, I'll
You've been to lots of great places!
It's going to be interesting for me too!
The thing is in my head I came here to cross the equator and catch a plane...... It's not exactly in discovery/exploration mode.

However, my few days camping have reset my head so I think I'm in a better frame of mind. You'll just have to be patient^_^

I'll be interested to read how you find you now.
I'm never sure how I find myself:laugh:

I know what you mean. Had a wonderful day on backroads and small villages yesterday

us hardy off-road touring types tend to call it "hike a bike" it sounds more rugged than pushing.^_^
You know, I always thought Hike-A-Bike implied carrying the thing - easy to do with a light setup, not so much for me^_^

If all it means is pushing I'm going to be less scared of all those bikepacking routes!^_^

Seriously though, a couple a couple of months ahead of me attempted the Trans Ecuador (Road) bikepacking route got stuck and had to abort. The rain has been unusually heavy and early/late this year otherwise I would have being giving some of it a go.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
You've been to lots of great places!
It's going to be interesting for me too!
The thing is in my head I came here to cross the equator and catch a plane...... It's not exactly in discovery/exploration mode.

However, my few days camping have reset my head so I think I'm in a better frame of mind. You'll just have to be patient^_^

I was just lucky that in the early noughties, as an Outdoor Pursuits Instructor, I had a job for an expedition company leading overseas adventure trips. I managed to bag a few expeditions going to South America and Ecuador was one country I returned to a couple of times. Whilst being paid to work and travel in Ecuador is pretty cool, it did mean that I couldn't follow my heart and travel where I wished, though we did get to some amazing out of the way places and had a fair few adventures. Funnily enough, even though I did criss cross the Equator whilst there, I passed up the chance to visit the Mitad Del Mundo. It will be good to see Ecuador through your eyes and experiences, I will patiently await more news of your exploits though.

You know, I always thought Hike-A-Bike implied carrying the thing - easy to do with a light setup, not so much for me^_^

If all it means is pushing I'm going to be less scared of all those bikepacking routes!^_^

Seriously though, a couple a couple of months ahead of me attempted the Trans Ecuador (Road) bikepacking route got stuck and had to abort. The rain has been unusually heavy and early/late this year otherwise I would have being giving some of it a go.

Whilst I have got the weight of my bike and kit combined, to below 20kg, it is still a pig awkward thing to carry when loaded up. I can happily lift it over obstacles like fallen trees, but given the option, I'll push every time. Shame to hear of folk aborting the Trans Ecuador, the weather can be a real issue with off-road routes, however, I'm going to go and look into this Trans Ecuador route now and dream!

We don't need the bestest, newest bikes.
We don't need to be super fit (no smoking at the equator!:laugh:)
We don't need the lightest, minimalist gear.
Hell, we don't even need a sense of direction!^_^

For something that was a figary, to head to Ecuador and ride across the Equator, it turned out to be a pretty good feeling!

This one is for @cwskas

I've been carrying that shirt since Costa Rica (after my Texan vaccine trip).^_^

Willie, that shot should get you free sandwiches for life!

My thanks, my sincere thanks, for your support, your words and your actions that have helped and enriched this whole trip.

It's your turn now ^_^

(I'll probably regret this later......
But someday that shirt will be photographed in Ushuaia^_^)

Top Bottom