Chat Zone for The Big Big Trip Journal!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cwskas

Über Member
I really enjoyed your short review of 2020 in pictures. But it was too short! :smile:

cwskas

Über Member
Today

... I realised that this crazybeautiful city has just about everything I ever want on a bike tour!
... the sense of exploration. I don't want to know every last thing about where I'm going….. I want to find them out - for better or worse.
... People are friendly, welcoming, approachable and approaching, curious, full of help and praise.
... I don't think I've ever been to a place as friendly, as welcoming.
... You don't need a bike and gear to feel welcome, you just need a pulse!
... I enjoy the more natural cycle that my life has on a bike. Abed with the sunset, awake with the dawn. A full day.
... Finally, there's that whole "away from it all" feeling.
... there's a simplicity to life here that I find completely charming.
... I could conceivably "tour" here for evermore and not miss a thing about touring!
... My local park, which I have visited almost daily since June is still one of these places that casts magic. Every. Single. Time.

México? It's feckin' great!

Fantastic post!
But next time why don't you tell us how you really feel!
I thought with my tongue jammed firmly in a cheek.

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Sunday Whatever……..

Now you mention it, Sundayness does seem to be a thing. It's the one day of the week which has a different feel to it, a different pace perhaps. Since retiring - and especially in current circumstances - Sundayness for me has been turned down a notch or two, but in México City it would appear to be turned up to eleven. I wonder if the intensity of being in a city where people and experiences are so ... concentrated(?) amplifies the feeling or makes it more vivid? For the cycle tourist mostly on the move and rarely in one place for a single week, let alone months, the likelihood of ever identifying such routines or rhythms must be small. Another advantage of becoming 'de-toured' perhaps?

Can't wait for the 'bin men' post ;)

Sunday Whatever……..

Now you mention it, Sundayness does seem to be a thing. It's the one day of the week which has a different feel to it, a different pace perhaps. Since retiring - and especially in current circumstances - Sundayness for me has been turned down a notch or two, but in México City it would appear to be turned up to eleven. I wonder if the intensity of being in a city where people and experiences are so ... concentrated(?) amplifies the feeling or makes it more vivid? For the cycle tourist mostly on the move and rarely in one place for a single week, let alone months, the likelihood of ever identifying such routines or rhythms must be small. Another advantage of becoming 'de-toured' perhaps?

Can't wait for the 'bin men' post ;)
"De Toured" ^_^ I like it!!! It works on multiple levels! You're quite the wordsmith!

In a former life I spent far too many Sundays working, (and hated it!) so I always had a yearning for a lazy Sunday.

The weird thing is that when I first got here, all the days blended into one. It was only when I started treating a weekend as a Weekend that it started to dawn on me that it was so different. For me, the effect is noticable as soon as I step outside. All of the tiny car repair places immediately around me are closed. Normally it's a hive of activity and noise, often until late into the night. Sunday? Not a peep!
To digress slightly, a Saturday evening/night in that area is very pleasant. People gathering, some cooking, having a drink or two, a bite to eat and chatting with friends and competitors to mark off the end of another workweek.

I don't think it's turned up to 11 - yet! Damn Covid is seeing to that - but there is definitely something in the air, and it's not bad.

When open, all the Government museums are free to the public (even foreigners like me!) on Sundays.

Binmen will come in their own good time!^_^

IaninSheffield

Veteran
I don't think it's turned up to 11 - yet! Damn Covid is seeing to that - but there is definitely something in the air, and it's not bad.
Apologies. I didn't mean to suggest the intensity of the activity was overwhelming, just the sense of Sundayness. That sense seems to make itself more apparent, perhaps in the more relaxed, (even) more social way people (and dogs) go about their lives on that day of the week.
Binmen will come in their own good time!^_^
So true!

No need to apologise!:ohmy:
That sense seems to make itself more apparent, perhaps in the more relaxed, (even) more social way people (and dogs) go about their lives on that day of the week.
I've been thinking about this the last couple of days.....

Yes, Sunday is definitely a more pronounced example of what I see every day - sociability.

It's the sociability that actually makes it different to other places.
I can, for example, stop and watch a little brother and sister, both jammed into a battery powered car that has hit a kerb, try to manoeuvre themselves out of their mess and not feel like a stranger, an outsider. Instead I'm likely to get a smile and an eyes to heaven look from Mama or Papa. I, the stranger, am included in some sense.
Similarly, I can stand beside the doggy section and observe all the fun inside without ever drawing an ill look from a human (a dog did announce his disapproval once, following me around until I finally left the fence!)

It's different to parts of Europe, where sometimes it can seem that by virtue of being a stranger in someone's orbit I'm taking something from them. I'm excluded.

That's the magic here. These are not once off events, dependent solely on individuals. These are common, normal and natural it seems. That's what takes the lonliness and scatters it to the winds. The sociability. Especially noticeable on Sundays.

Thanks for prompting me to tease it out.😊

cwskas

Über Member
Yes, Sunday is definitely a more pronounced example of what I see every day - sociability.... sociability that actually makes it different to other places.... The sociability. Especially noticeable on Sundays.

Thanks for prompting me to tease it out.😊

Well done you two!

In your last post it was interesting to see your paired down touring setup ... without the trailer.
And as odd as it may seem ... it was for me sentimental to see Hobbes in your pictures.
He was so clean in those days!^_^
I miss him too.
It was interesting going through the photos of 2020 and realising that Mazi appeared a lot less than Hobbes would have. Apparently, I have some kind of a psychological bias!😊 In fairness, he's bigger and more cumbersome (but then again, so am I^_^). I've made a promise to myself to include him more when I'm back on the road...... Altrhough, he may have to share the limelight......... ;)

I've rarely ridden a "pared down" rig!^_^ I've always seen myself as practising for "the big one" since I bought Roccado.
Other than the weight of the trailer, there wouldn't be a huge weight difference between both setups. The trailer spreads the load, improves flexibility of loading options, increases manoeuvrability on dodgy surfaces and gives me a spare wheel - something that has already helped^_^

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Doggy Day Whatever.... Again!

Another welcome observation of canines cavorting in the Cuidad.
I've been pondering whether the pooches in your adoptive city are different from the ones over here. I can't recall ever seeing dogs and their humans gathering in parks in the ways you describe. Perhaps I've just never noticed, or more likely, I've spent too little time in cities where the need to seek out limited(?) public recreational spaces is perhaps more pressing.
Given the way folks seem to get along and are considerate of one another, should I assume owners clear up after their dogs or is fouling a problem?

And apologies in advance, but dare I say I find Frida just a little bit scary? I think it might be the eyebrows 😲

Doggy Day Whatever.... Again!

Another welcome observation of canines cavorting in the Cuidad.
I've been pondering whether the pooches in your adoptive city are different from the ones over here. I can't recall ever seeing dogs and their humans gathering in parks in the ways you describe. Perhaps I've just never noticed, or more likely, I've spent too little time in cities where the need to seek out limited(?) public recreational spaces is perhaps more pressing.
Given the way folks seem to get along and are considerate of one another, should I assume owners clear up after their dogs or is fouling a problem?

And apologies in advance, but dare I say I find Frida just a little bit scary? I think it might be the eyebrows 😲
Everything is different, Ian^_^
And the dogs speak Spanish!^_^

I lived in a city in NL +/- 200,000 souls and no areas like here for dogs. In the main park on the edge of the city where I brought my fella he was supposed to be on lead. I'd take him down at dawn to chase rabbits. They terrified him!^_^ People could be very funny about their dog interacting with another - or maybe it was just my fella!

In Ireland, some parks have areas where dogs can be off-lead at certain times.
Here, the parks have fenced, equipped (seats, tunnels, seesaws etc) doggy specific areas - and dogs wandering freely everywhere else too!

I am bemused. I regularly see people training their dogs, but honestly I think they are just being fussy! The dogs are already 99% there.^_^

When I see the dogs running loose beside a bike or a jogger and following every cue I'm dumbfounded at the process that got them there. And also at the Bosses! I'd be freaking out!😊

I've seen one dog fight in all my time here.
The 2 boyos in the park really stood out for their behaviour.
There is no fear and no reason for fear. The woman with her child in the park was not fazed at all.
It's both funny and interesting to see a bull terrier getting his ass handed to him by a terrier or shi tzu.

I can only speculate, but there is a very relaxed, we're-all-in-this-together vibe and a real sense of live and let live. I assume the dogs pick up on that. If people are relaxed, chances are their dogs will be too.

Fouling happens, but is incredibly rare, especially in relation to the numbers of dogs. Everyone is equipped with poop bags.

So Frida's scary?^_^
Her monobrow is famous!
It wasn't my plan to call her Frida but nothing else worked. No other name stuck. So, I think it was chosen for me rather than by me!
Nothing wrong with having such a formidable character on the road!

Oops!
I nearly forgot!
Google created a collage of Squirrel Hunter!

His buddy (bottom right) just sat calmly ignoring everything.....

Top Bottom