Chatroom

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

montage

God Almighty
closing chat would be unpopular to say the least, still it would stop me having to see noodles' drivel

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I don't understand why the chat facility is any different from the forums. If individuals are being naughty, ban them but removing the room for all is not fair on the rest of us ;(

Alternatively, how about giving 'chat only' mod rights to some of the more trusted regulars and allow it to be policed by those who use the room regularly?

My tuppence worth, anyway :smile:
SD

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
The problem as I see it is chat is only visible to those you take part in it and so much can be said about an individual / individuals without their knowledge. I have wittnessed such activity. When banned from chat a new account pops up and starts the trouble all over again. Thus banning an individual does not work and neither does blocking an e-mail address.

Shaun

Founder
closing chat would be unpopular to say the least, still it would stop me having to see noodles' drivel

The vast majority of members wouldn't even notice if the chatroom was removed, however, since it is only a couple of people who are spoiling it for the rest I'll deal with them directly.

However, I should like to remind everyone that the chatroom is intended as a place for exchanging some friendly banter, and not as a place to be purile, abusive, or to organise trolling parties into forum threads; and anyone treating the facilities or community with selfish disregard can expect to have their access removed.

Shaun

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
The vast majority of members wouldn't even notice if the chatroom was removed, however, since it is only a couple of people who are spoiling it for the rest I'll deal with them directly.

However, I should like to remind everyone that the chatroom is intended as a place for exchanging some friendly banter, and not as a place to be purile, abusive, or to organise trolling parties into forum threads; and anyone treating the facilities or community with selfish disregard can expect to have their access removed.

Shaun

:thumbsup:

Shaun

Founder
When banned from chat a new account pops up and starts the trouble all over again. Thus banning an individual does not work and neither does blocking an e-mail address.

Further measures have been put in place to deal with this. ;)

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation

Shaun

The reality is that before chat gate it wasn't used for those things much especially the trolling parties. In fact people repeatedly said leave bits of the forum to themselves. The thing I find annoying is how people seem to cherry pick what has been said in there rather than averaging things over weeks and weeks of stuff.

As for the people that came back, we didn't encourage them, and I found it somewhat odd that admin even welcomed one of them to the forums (automatic message) and it wasn't till a substantial time later the moderators said it was 'obvious' and kicked them out.

If we could all get back to light banter, bikes, gear ratios, lights, commentary on sporting events and various other silly things I think it would be very much better. Some people like ianrauk have come in a lot and it's been good, it's a shame some of the rest of you don't feel that way, but that's up to you if you don't want to go in and participate.

The reality is that before chat gate it wasn't used for those things much especially the trolling parties. In fact people repeatedly said leave bits of the forum to themselves. The thing I find annoying is how people seem to cherry pick what has been said in there rather than averaging things over weeks and weeks of stuff.

As for the people that came back, we didn't encourage them, and I found it somewhat odd that admin even welcomed one of them to the forums (automatic message) and it wasn't till a substantial time later the moderators said it was 'obvious' and kicked them out.

If we could all get back to light banter, bikes, gear ratios, lights, commentary on sporting events and various other silly things I think it would be very much better. Some people like ianrauk have come in a lot and it's been good, it's a shame some of the rest of you don't feel that way, but that's up to you if you don't want to go in and participate.

Agreed.

The thing to remember is there's more posts in chat in a day than there is a week on the forum, so there's going to be more questionable content. Plus, I'd say these trolling parties are mythical. I only know of one where people have actually posted and all of the posts remained on the forum, can hardly be considered trolling. It also gets annoying when people get banned for replying to others.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
The problem as I see it is chat is only visible to those you take part in it and so much can be said about an individual / individuals without their knowledge. I have wittnessed such activity. When banned from chat a new account pops up and starts the trouble all over again. Thus banning an individual does not work and neither does blocking an e-mail address.

I don't see how it is any different to the PM feature, in that respect.

Top Bottom