Chatroom

Without a time limit, those that were banned for whatever reason would & could just re-register under a different name to gain access to the chat room.
6 months was a time limit set that those who did register would do so as to become part of and to contribute to the Cycle Chat community, not just to gain access to a chat room.
A post count was originally set but people got round that by quickfire posting rubbish.
So not pathetic in the slightest.

So for the sake of a few people that did'nt play nicely in the chat room all the genuine users of the forum that have'nt been here for 6 months have to miss out on something that they might enjoy and enhance their experience of using the forum ?

Yes .. thats not pathetic in the slightest, is it

Norm

MF, please feel free to create your own chatroom with your own rules. You wouldn't be the first to do so.

Unless it lasted more than a few days, that is, that would be a first.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
So for the sake of a few people that did'nt play nicely in the chat room all the genuine users of the forum that have'nt been here for 6 months have to miss out on something that they might enjoy and enhance their experience of using the forum ?

Did you read my reply MF?
I will reiterate for you.
We want people to sign up to Cycle Chat and join in with and become part of the forum community, not to just join to gain access a chat room. The chat room is a bonus addition to the forum, not the other way round.

No one else apart from yourself has complained.
So I don't see why you are getting in a tiz about it.

Norm

Would that be constructive when measured in the context of "What a pathetic rule".

It was a suggestion which you are free to follow. Or not.

Steady Muddy: Shaun has just paid out money for a new chatroom software, especially for us old grumpy chatroom regulars. Ian's explanation makes sense and whilst I agree with you to some extent, that there have been a number of chatroom users in the past who posted little but used the room and enhanced the experience, chat has also caused some headaches and if this is what Shaun feels he needs to do, then fair enough, I support it. We'll still get new people entering and keeping it fresh.

Did you read my reply MF?
I will reiterate for you.
We want people to sign up to Cycle Chat and join in with and become part of the forum community, not to just join to gain access a chat room. The chat room is a bonus addition to the forum, not the other way round.

No one else apart from yourself has complained.
So I don't see why you are getting in a tiz about it.

Ian .. i understand the thinking behind the rule and maybe "Pathetic" was'nt a good choice of terminology but 6 months seems very harsh for new members that will enjoy the chatroom and use it properly

I'm not getting in a tiz and i'm not trying to stir up an argument .. i just felt it was a bit harsh, but thank you for a sensible reply

Simon

Steady Muddy: Shaun has just paid out money for a new chatroom software, especially for us old grumpy chatroom regulars. Ian's explanation makes sense and whilst I agree with you to some extent, that there have been a number of chatroom users in the past who posted little but used the room and enhanced the experience, chat has also caused some headaches and if this is what Shaun feels he needs to do, then fair enough, I support it. We'll still get new people entering and keeping it fresh.

Fair point Crax .. i was just trying to get a point across (albeit not that well) but like you say its Shauns forum and as a member i do appreciate how much time money and hard work goes into running this place for me and everyone else to use free of charge

Simon

Fair point Crax .. i was just trying to get a point across (albeit not that well) but like you say its Shauns forum and as a member i do appreciate how much time money and hard work goes into running this place for me and everyone else to use free of charge

Simon

Actually, I think you had a point. I'm not privvy to the thinking behind the rule, though I can see it's logic but it does seem a long time.

If I try to identify the reasons chat works on a forum, then amongst those reasons, would be that you have a good turnover of people using it. We all used the irc chat for a good long time but it's use amongst us faded, 1 because it wasn't part of CC and also because it didn't have the turnover and fresh faces from CC joining in and that and it being visible as being used (Something Rich identified i.e. a notice saying so many people in chat).

Chat was a great success on the previous forum but even so, I'm conscious that the vast majority who used the forum, didn't use chat, though it was always good to see regular forum users popping in sometimes.

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

Founder
I need to get the new chat room installed and working before I decide how we're going to manage it, but I do expect to retain a time limit before people get access to it.

I'm not concerned about past problems but I do want people to use the forums first, because that's what adds value to CC and helps us gain further new members (chatroom content isn't retained or searchable or visible to search engines). It's an "extra" that is given, in time, to those who've continued to visit and contribute.

There's also the question of moderation. It may be easier/harder to moderate the new chatroom and we may make adjustments based on how it pans out, but until we get it into use and have a play with it we can't know.

Let's get it up and running and see how it works out. :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

Not that I used the chat room or intend to again, but could you combine length of membership, post count and usefullness of the posts by using a points threshold to allow access?

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

Founder
Not that I used the chat room or intend to again, but could you combine length of membership, post count and usefullness of the posts by using a points threshold to allow access?

No, I'm using time for a specific reason - it can't be manipulated (unless you're Dr. Who of course! :laugh:).

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere but a chatroom toolbar seems to have appeared, either yesterday or the day before, at the bottom of the page. As it's reporting that no one's online, is it only there in preparation for a later switch-on date?

Top Bottom