Cheap AA batteries?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ash68

Don't know if the words cheap and long lasting go together too often. Tend to buy mine from asda in multipacks, but go for duracell. Think you get what you pay for really. I've never tried rechargable batteries, suppose that could be an option. Anyone any experience of them?

andrew_s

Legendary Member
2800 mAh NiMh rechargeables £3.99 for 4

charger £13.99
Charger £5.99

Note that NiMH rechargeables lose charge in storage relatively quickly, so are best suited to regular use. There are more expensive versions (Eneloop, Hybrio) that don't have this problem, but they cost more and don't have as much capacity when freshly charged.

The cheaper charger will only charge batteries in 2s or 4s, so isn't too good if you have anything that uses an odd number.

The 2800 mAh rechargeables will give good light for longer than duracells in a bright light, but don't have the very long tail-off period of alkalines

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Re-chargeable every time, initial outlay for all the gubbins, relatively high.
In the long run, cheap as chips as they say. If you need say 4 batts for 2 lights, get 8 then you have back up.
Normal batts slowly lose power 'til they die.

Re-chargeable maintain a constant output until they die, and they do die "just like that" ! Some decent batteries / chargers HERE (Uniross one of the better re-charge batts manufacturers.

ash68

thanks for that Andrew and User, I would need the AAA batteries for my rear cat eye lights. Might try the local Maplins at the weekend.Get some batteries and a charger and see how they go.Got to be better then forking out for batteries every month or so.My front lights a Lumicycle and just gets recharged every couple of days.
Cheers.xx(

Thanks ELMER, suppose like all things you get what you pay for, so I'll look to get a good quality set, with some spares as backup.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
I will add that my bike is just over 12mths. old, the batts in my rear led (on flash mode) are still the original alkaline type, I've re-charged the 2 AA batts for my smart 3 led front light twice, trust me when the batts are re-charged, don't look at it to see if it's brighter, I couldn't see feck all for 1/2 an hour !!

P.S. Ash68, Get that Guinness in the fridge ready for next year m8 !!

don't know about cycle lights, but i got some Hybrio ones (from Asda) and they lasted for ages in my dslr

L

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Hubby was given a solar battery charger for his birthday, which takes 'AAA' 'AA' 'C' or 'D' batteries, although you have to charge 4 at the same time. I've yet to try the batteries, but does anyone have any experience of whether they will get to the same power level?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Try 7dayshop.com - loads of rechargeable batteries - I just got some Panasonic 2100mah which apparently hold the charge for long periods (although not the highest storage) - these were for my camera. The Uniross express chargers are cheap and very quick to charge from them. £5 should by a quality set of batteries 4 x AA / AAA

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
Thanks for the advice people. I found some cheap Duracell today, our local Focus is closing down and has 20% off. Then I'll look at re-chargeables.

I guess I was hoping someone knew where somebody was selling 48 super longlasting batteries for a quid, perhaps on e-bay or something.:blush:

ash68

Elmer Fudd said:
P.S. Ash68, Get that Guinness in the fridge ready for next year m8

If you make it this far,I'll have a 4 pack in the fridge for ya, Elmer
Did I read you were thinking of cycling with a bloke from Brum on your trip?

domtyler

Über Member
Aperitif said:
Just been viewing Mr Hippo's thread about the bus and bike in the café and, while browsing the website, came across this...
http://www.clipaday.com/videos/battery-trick-will-save-you-mucho-dinero

If time permits, read the comments underneath - so bitchy, so stupid! :biggrin:

Loved this one:

you people are so stupid,americans are smart enough to buy rechargable batteries and bluejack you talk about fat americans,have you looked at the big butts english girls have,my god you could if you have such great health care although it takes years to get elective surgery. its because you have to because all you worthless guys dont have jobs,and please spend some money and put fluoride in your water,,english people have nasty teeth. And any country who still spends good money on a worthless royal family have got to be idiots anyway.Just remember when we ring the bell for what little help your country can do militarialy,,you come running boy.

:blush::biggrin:

Top Bottom