Cheap and good quality panniers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

willem

Über Member
I have had no problems climbing thus far, but you have a point. First, I use a drop bar, and that is better than a straight bar. Second, I have a bar bag, I have three fuel and water bottles on the frame, and I try to have my rear panniers as far forward as I can. Finally, and most importantly, I try not to overload the rear. So I only have a light tent on top of the rack and no heavy extra rackpack. Last summer in Norway I had more than the usual because of the potentially bad weather, and it was obvious that I should not have taken any more than I had.
On that trip my luggage weight was about 18 kg. Of that, 3 kg was in cold/wet weather gear that I would not normally take elsewhere. I have also calculated that I could have lost another 3kg by leaving home some unused stuff, and getting lighter equivalents for other items. Take less than that, and you begin to loose functionality, however. So, realistically, some 12-15 kg is quite possible in most conditions. That should be fine in just two rear panniers. If you want to loose more weight on the panniers themselves, have a look at the new experimental lightweight range that Ortlieb are selling in small numbers in Germany (price for one rather than a set): http://www.outdoorworks.de/index.php?site=index.html&prod=7337&vid=86748&function=set_lang&lang=en
Willem

bigjim

Legendary Member
You do not always need panniers as they can contribute to the weight and encourage you to fill them with even more weight.

worth a look

andym

Über Member
"I've found with all the weight on the back I have to stand up to put some counter weight over the front wheel, which for me isn't the comfy way to climb"

I suspect the issue is more to do with the frame geometry than rear panniers. I used to have a mountainbike with a relatively high BB height and without anything (other than me - 75kgs) that did used to start to get a little difficult on very steep climbs, but in most circumstances it shouldn't be an issue. The weight in front panniers is not going to make a lot of difference.  The type of bar is a red herring.

P.H

Über Member
I use four panniers even though I could easily get everything into two with the tent on the rack.  I find my bike handles better with the weight more evenly distributed.  Both pairs are front panniers which also reduces the width of the bike.  An added advantage is it makes packing and organisation easier, the rear panniers carry stuff that I need to set up camp, so there's no need to take them off the bike, which is less to store in the porch.

There's many ways to skin a cat :rolleyes: 

Danny

Legendary Member
The Edinburg Cycle Co-op own brand paniers are made by Vaude and are also pretty good value for money, particularly if you buy them in one of their sales when they are often heavily discounted.

ZIZAG

Veteran
rolleyes.gif
Hi I have bought and used . And can recommend the LIDL 60ltr Pannier bags .:tongue: Loads of room and pockets .
A bargain at £14:99
wave.gif

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Woohoo... I have just snatched a set of the ebay panniers from SJS for £1.70 +P&P so altogether only £8.69! Now that is what I call a bargain.

Main useage will be for commuting (lunch box, a shirt and a few odd tools/pump/spare tube) so they will not be worked too hard but I also have a dream......

Maybe this summer I will ride my bike to my dads house. Thats from Manchester to near Newport, South Wales, and I reckon if I really pushed hard it could be done in 2 days with an overnight stop.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
My SJS panniers arrived at last today (sunday delivery from royal mail as they try to clear the backlog!). They are better than expected for the price I paid and are bigger than I thought they would be. Without any experience of how quickly they fill up and what I would carry for any longer trips (I would always do B&B or cheap pub accomodation anyway) I reckon I could easily manage a 2-3 day excursion.

Overall first impression of the SJS bargain panniers has to be a definite thumbs up, it's just a shame that the Snail Mail kept me waiting so long that I began to doubt SJS was going to honour my purchase.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
My SJS panniers arrived at last today (sunday delivery from royal mail as they try to clear the backlog!). They are better than expected for the price I paid and are bigger than I thought they would be. Without any experience of how quickly they fill up and what I would carry for any longer trips (I would always do B&B or cheap pub accomodation anyway) I reckon I could easily manage a 2-3 day excursion.

Overall first impression of the SJS bargain panniers has to be a definite thumbs up, it's just a shame that the Snail Mail kept me waiting so long that I began to doubt SJS was going to honour my purchase.

It's a good plan going the B&B route... but being somebody yet to set out on my 1st tour in 15 years, and 2nd tour of all time... should i pack a tent and sleeping bag just in case? Or is that the daftest idea on CycleChat so far this year?

Top Bottom