Cheap and good quality panniers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HelenD123

Guru
Nice to have pockets. I wonder how waterproof they are? As you say, good value for money.

P.H

Über Member
   I had some Deuters, the bags were OK, though not really waterproof, one of the zips broke on the first tour and the fixing system was cheap and nasty and lacks adjustment.  The elastic at the bottom never gives as solid a connection as the hooks on better panniers and when the plastic wears off the upper hooks they wreck racks.  I've had better cheap panniers, but really the extra few quid for the best is worth it.  Deuter do make some quality panniers, those are the same price as Ortlieb or Carradice;

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=33837

This was several years ago, things may have changed, but I doubt it.

I wanted some smaller front panniers, I ended up buying some Halford ones at 20 pounds, fitted Klick panniers fittings on them instead of the Halford crap stuff. Turned out to be very strong and waterproff.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
You guys that have the cheap panniers from SJS on ebay, how much did you pay for them? I have watched about half-a-dozen of these auctions end now and even bid on a few and judging by the bid histories they seem to have some sort of bidding cartel going on to drive up the price.

They seem to be just the size and price I want so it would be a shame if I decide they are definitely manipulating the auction process as that is likely t make me walk away on principal!

willem

Über Member
For value panniers my vote goes to the Ortlieb city line. They are about a quarter cheaper and lighter than the regular ones. That is still not dead cheap, but they will last forever. Take less and you will only need the rear ones.
Willem

bigjim

Legendary Member
I think you need to bid at the last minute for SJS. I find if you bid early it tends to get into a bidding war. I don't know if it is manipulated but I got mine very cheap. They finish at different times as there is usually a few sets on at a time so try items ending at antisocial hours.

delport

Doesn't anyone else notice the strong similarity between the £5 ebay panniers and halfords panniers which were sold for £25 and above only recently for a pair?
I think it was these ones
http://www.halfords....tegoryId_236256

The halford ones also have that same bright flourescent strip on the side, i have a pair of those panniers as well as my rucksack panniers, and the flourescent strip can be seen from a very large distance away.

As for customising panniers, i made my own out of rucksacks, i created pannier metal hooks from 4 childrens coat hooks i bought in belgium for 2 euros.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
.... Take less and you will only need the rear ones.
Willem

Do you not find it a pain on slow steep uphills Willem? I've found with all the weight on the back I have to stand up to put some counter weight over the front wheel, which for me isn't the comfy way to climb.

I'm tempted to go for the Ortlieb front roller, not the cheapest but best to buy once IMO... the 25x30cm size wont allow me to go over board on luggage, and I am a bugger for trying to fill gaps!

Top Bottom