Two phones - a good idea?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
one of the advantages of having more than one phone with you is different sims ( unless you have a dual sim phone) eg vodafone and O2 to deal with coverage issues

Dual SIM phones are essential IMHO. Data rates if you're using a UK SIM in NZ or South Africa are murderous.

OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along
A quick update from my original question.

I now have one phone with SIM and one without. I use the first to communicate and the second to navigate having saved a route from cycle.travel onto it; yes GPS does work without a phone connection.

Yesterday I cycled around 30 miles following this navigation; the phone went from 96%charge to 82%, which I thought was good.

My monthly charges are £5 for the SIM. Nothing for the SIM free phone, which cost me £65 new.

For anyone who isn't interested in tracking rides and statistics this is a good option.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I now have one phone with SIM and one without. I use the first to communicate and the second to navigate having saved a route from cycle.travel onto it; yes GPS does work without a phone connection.
I gave my old phone to a friend. It would have been useless for navigation except on overcast days because the screen wasn't bright enough to see in direct sunlight. I used to have hold it in a shadow to use it outdoors in the summer.

So, anybody contemplating a second phone for navigation - make sure that the screen is usable on a sunny day.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll

Battery life has never been an issue for me, so I'll not cart around a battery bank.

I may go back to carrying a paper map too, when I'm in unfamiliar places.

they're hardly the size of a car battery. If I'm away camping I'll always take a battery bank. Not only is it a phone charger should i need it (never have, yet) but it also powers a small yet powerful lamp which has proved very handy.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
On the subject of tech hardware backups...

I go down to Devon by train to visit my sister 4 or 5 times a year. I used to get paper tickets but have now started using e-tickets. I worried about what I would do if my phone played up so I couldn't show the e-tickets. I would be mightily peeved if I had to buy more tickets, having already spent over £100! I could print out the tickets at home, but that would make e-tickets rather pointless...

Then it dawned on me that I always have my Android tablet with me on those trips. I now make sure that I have backup e-tickets on the tablet, just-in-case.

The other hardware backup that I resort to is when doing a long ride on unfamiliar roads. My Garmin has been very reliable, but I would hate to get lost if it were to die mid-ride. I therefore keep a copy of the route in the Memory Map app on my phone. I haven't had to use it yet but it is there if I need it. It is also nice to be able to check progress on the app's OS map - the ancient Garmin doesn't have maps, just displaying routes as a squiggly 'breadcrumb trail'.

Ferries here have gone down the same route with etickets but potential problem is that if you cannot produce it your booked space is also cancelled. I do have a copy on my iPad but can also get printed copies from the local office.
As you say printing them defeats to purpose of them, assuming you have access to a working printer.

Thanks for the update!
I use the first to communicate and the second to navigate
At the risk of being repetitive, should you wish to use your 'navigation' phone as a (wifi) backup in the event that your 'communication' phone goes awol it's a good idea to load/open the necessary accounts on it beforehand. For the likes of Google etc. it means that it will be a recognised device and everything will go smoother.

the phone went from 96%charge to 82%, which I thought was good.
There are a variety of settings that can aid battery usage such as "sleep between turns". Some days with few turns means the screen is asleep for most of the time. Other days it gets no sleep at all! NL can be very demanding on phone batteries!

OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along
Thanks for the update!

At the risk of being repetitive, should you wish to use your 'navigation' phone as a (wifi) backup in the event that your 'communication' phone goes awol it's a good idea to load/open the necessary accounts on it beforehand. For the likes of Google etc. it means that it will be a recognised device and everything will go smoother.

There are a variety of settings that can aid battery usage such as "sleep between turns". Some days with few turns means the screen is asleep for most of the time. Other days it gets no sleep at all! NL can be very demanding on phone batteries!

Thanks to your previous advice I have set up all the important apps on the new phone. I haven't quite summoned the courage to swap the SIM card yet, but everything works through WiFi.

Jameshow

Veteran
Id be tempted to have two phones and two bank accounts so that in difficult circumstances mugging etc you would have another means of emergency help, travel, Comms.

OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along
Id be tempted to have two phones and two bank accounts so that in difficult circumstances mugging etc you would have another means of emergency help, travel, Comms.

Funny you say that.

I travel using a Monzo card preloaded with enough money for a couple of days touring. If that gets stolen, lost or becomes faulty I've lost a few quid. No great harm done and I have another card with me which would not be easily found.

I usually carry some cash too.

Belt, braces and binder twine. When did I become so cautious?

Top Bottom