Cheap but Good: Bamboo Base layers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Merino Wool is probably the best base layer that you can use - but I don't have the money to try that out. I have used what is meant to be the best alternative: bamboo. For me it has work well and I use it when cycling and when hill walking

I bought my first bamboo base layer from Aldi's in one of their cycling sale events and it worked very well, however it was still quite expensive. Later on I noticed that they had a hill walking event - the base layers layers where quite a lot cheaper ( so look out for these events at Aldi.) I have some and they work just as well as the cycling specific ones.

However I've just noticed that Screwfix have "Site base layer" for £10. The detailed description says that this is a bamboo base layer, I haven't got one yet, but it will be where I will be getting my next set of base layer from!!

( I still can't got over the fact that bamboo works so well)

Ps it is very soft if you are worried about that!!

Happy New Year

Last edited:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I have some bamboo stuff got reduced in Aldi, it's very soft and moisture absorbent.

mythste

Veteran
I've one of the Polaris ones and tbh I've not been impressed. It doesn't hold the heat as I'd expected and hasn't kept the shape well.

Hmm, I have a bamboo Tee shirt that has become very "lifeless" after a few washes. I wonder if thats a trait of the material, or I've just got a cheap tee!

OP
OP
currystomper
Hmm, I have a bamboo Tee shirt that has become very "lifeless" after a few washes

I've not had a problem with my Tee's (from Aldi) and I've been using them for a year - they just get washed in the normal 40 Deg wash with all the other sweaty cycling stuff!! ^_^

dim

I've got thermal tops (long sleeved), and thermal long johns ... got them as a prezzie from my daugher

very good and I should have got some last year. I always dress warm, and even wear a jersey with all the other stuff such as t-shirt, track suit etc etc if it's a cold day

This year, (so far), my hands are getting cold and we have still not had very cold weather. I'm using the same gloves as last year, but for some or other reason, my hands are a lot colder now than last year?

I'm looking at buying either Alpaca wool gloves or motorcycle gloves ( I used to ride a motorcycle, and I had cheapish motorcycle gloves which were much warmer than my current cycling gloves

I have found T.K. Maxx a good source of bamboo base layers and socks. I have used Surfanic base tops and Green Treat socks for a few years. There are claims the material has anti bacterial properties, it seems, at least, to have deodorant properties.

Top Bottom