Cheap Chinese shifters. How bad can they be?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Bought these for a local boys bike, an old Schwinn as the original thumb shifters had stopped working and couldn't be persuaded to operate correctly.
I wanted to get some 'home used' thumb shifters but couldn't find any. Cost me the equivalent of £3. Came with the cable inner and outers. No brand name. Both front and rear derailleurs looked the same as I could not see any difference between the pair to denote which was which so assumed they were the same.
IMG_20221019_163732.jpg

I was told they would work on anything up to 10 speed so not indexed.
I got them fitted and they worked okay but rather stiff, but that could be down to the derailleurs as well I guess.

IMG_20221019_174133.jpg

We'll see if they stand the test if time.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Stiffness could well be cheap cables, but you aren't going to be fitting expensive ptfe lined ones.

si_c

Guru
For £3 probably worth trying, if it appears that they are losing the will to live or becoming unreliable at least you have bought some time to source replacement parts.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Very , threw loads of these away when I was at the bike recycling workshop.

Stiff at the start , became loose in weeks and broke when trying to fit new cable.

Strictly BSO fodder

Grip shifts?? Oh lordy - work of the devil, whatever the brand. I'd rather have friction levers, either stem or down-tube mounted.

Top Bottom