Cheap computer for turbo training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sniffer77

Hi all
With the light slowly fading I will be using my turbo soon(I know I should go out but I'm not confident on my bike in the dark)
Can anyone recommend a cheap computer for time/distance etc?
I've got a garmin fr110 watch but that won't help me with turbo sessions.
Cheers

Bryony

Veteran
I bought a cheap wired one from tesco and attached the sensor to the back wheel, the wire was plenty long enough to reach the handle bars. It worked really well. If you can check how long the wire is before buying!

OP
OP
Sniffer77

Sniffer77

Thanks Bryony, was thinking of wireless but not sure what is decent etc.
Will have a look at the wired like you suggested though

Bryony

Veteran
I tried my OH's wireless cateye but the distance from the magnet on the back wheel to the handlebars was too big and it wasn't picking it up, so thats why I popped to Tesco and bought their wired one I think it was about £6. There maybe some wireless ones out there that would be able to pick up a signal from the back wheel, but I wouldn't have a clue which ones they would be!

arch684

Veteran
I tried and failed to find a wireless computer that would work from the rear wheel just got a wired one from aldi works fine

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I tried my OH's wireless cateye but the distance from the magnet on the back wheel to the handlebars was too big and it wasn't picking it up, so thats why I popped to Tesco and bought their wired one I think it was about £6. There maybe some wireless ones out there that would be able to pick up a signal from the back wheel, but I wouldn't have a clue which ones they would be!

What is it called? id like to see that one. Thanks

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Since speed and distance readings do not mean anything on an uncalibrated turbo trainer, why not just stick a cheap clock in front of you?

I do (say) 10 minutes gentle warm up, 10 minutes steady effort, then alternate periods of hard and easy effort until I feel that I have done enough, or run out of time. The last few minutes would be a gradual warm-down.

If you really want meaningful numbers then you would be looking at a turbo trainer which can be calibrated to give repeatable results.

Brightski

Chronos Racing Team
I've got a cheap Union computer with plenty of wire for the rear wheel :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Sniffer77

Sniffer77

Since speed and distance readings do not mean anything on an uncalibrated turbo trainer, why not just stick a cheap clock in front of you?

I do (say) 10 minutes gentle warm up, 10 minutes steady effort, then alternate periods of hard and easy effort until I feel that I have done enough, or run out of time. The last few minutes would be a gradual warm-down.

If you really want meaningful numbers then you would be looking at a turbo trainer which can be calibrated to give repeatable results.

Fair point, but wouldn't a computer show me improvements with distance and speeds if im doing similar sessions?
Yes I know it's not the same as the road but seeing any improvements would help
Thanks

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Fair point, but wouldn't a computer show me improvements with distance and speeds if im doing similar sessions?
Thanks
I have a gym bike with a big flywheel and a friction brake and it has a computer attached. It is impossible for me to set the brake to a precise level of friction, other than to undo the brake completely so it doesn't generate any friction. The computer therefore does not tell me anything meaningful, other than elapsed time. One example of how useless it is - it has a 'calories burned' function but the computer is not connected to the brake so it does not know whether I am working against massive friction or just freewheeling

I go by feel and set the brake to high friction when I want to work hard, and loosen the brake to recover.

I think the simplest way to gauge your progress would be to go out and find a fairly hard climb and see how fast you can ride up it. Even that would be affected by wind conditions though.

Alternatively, find yourself a safe local road loop and time yourself round that.

I have a collection of loops and hills round here which I test myself on. I know how hard or easy I normally find them, how long they take to ride, what gears I use and so on. I know I am making progress because my small ('granny') chainring is getting less and less use these days, and I am using harder gears at the back more often.

There is one road which has a steepish descent immediately followed by a steepish climb. When I was fit a few years ago, I could fly down the hill in the big ring and power my way up the other side without changing down to the middle ring. I can't quite do it at the moment but I am getting closer and closer to the top before my legs cry for mercy!

Brightski

Chronos Racing Team
Thanks
I use mph as in hold x mph for so long or don't let it drop below x mph and I counts distance whether it is relevant to road miles doesn't concern me, it's whatever works for the individual, this works for me :thumbsup:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Thanks

Not really, since most turbo trainers do not have a repeatable power profile, i.e. the effort to do 20 mph one day, won't be the same as the next or previous day. Even if your turbo does have a good repeatable power curve you need to pay close attention to set up, eg. same tyre pressure, same pressure on the roller, same temperature etc that unless if very keen, is just a load of fuss.

A heart rate watch would be more useful IMO. Measure time @ intensity.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
What Rob says. He lives on his turbo, - yup, eats, sleeps. Only gets off it to do a time trial ! ^_^

Seriously, what he said, your HR monitor and time is what you need. Speed and distance is irrelevant. If you want it for logging miles, just say 10 miles is 25-30 minutes effort.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
What Rob says. He lives on his turbo, - yup, eats, sleeps. Only gets off it to do a time trial ! ^_^

Seriously, what he said, your HR monitor and time is what you need. Speed and distance is irrelevant. If you want it for logging miles, just say 10 miles is 25-30 minutes effort.

It is harder than it looks to drink a mug of hot coffee whilst on the turbo trainer... ;)

Top Bottom