1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheap Decathlon commuter

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by Mister Paul, 1 Feb 2008.

1. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

They're doing their triban 7 for less than £200 at the moment. I think about £196 or £194. It's a great bike. Front disk, rear v-brake, skinny-ish tyres. Excellent for commuting.

They've also got their road bikes reduced. I think the cheapest is £84.

Decent bikes at Hawk cycles prices.

2. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

people seem to like them but they're heavy and stories about parts wearing out quickly

yes they're cheap but it doesn't make the bike better, good for starters I suppose, I sued to ride some awful rubbish when I started out

mind you. I'm riding awful rubbish now too

3. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

The bikes are pretty good for the money - cheap bikes are shite and don't last too long, but that's what you pay. The bloody pedals on each of my road bikes cost more than a cheap complete bike. Their half carbon ultegra road bike was 500 quid after xmas....half price.

4. OP
    OP
    Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

They got a very good report in C+ a couple of years ago. And my 7.2 road bike is still going strong after 12 months. It cost me £140. I got £80 for the brake levers on Ebay when I converted it to flat bars.

5. Maz

Maz Guru

84 quid for a road bike? How do they do it? Are the components made by well-known companies?
    did you see the prices on line or shop?

6. OP
    OP
    Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

In store. They're Shimano components. And I don't know how they do it. Mine had 105 flightdeck levers. so I got the rest of the bike for £40.

7. John the Monkey

John the Monkey Frivolous Cyclist

Probably the Sport 1.

A guy on ACF is giving it a long term test. His last post on the subject;

8. OP
    OP
    Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

when my 7.2 was in the LBS last year Trevor, the world's best mechanic, said that it was a great bike for the money. The only thing he pointed out was that these days they're not as accurate with their BB sizes, and the chain doesn't run straight.

9. gambatte

gambatte Middle of the pack...

I've got the Sport 2 16S, race style, shimano sora, STI, aluminium frames got a 5 year warranty.

http://www.btwincycle.com/EN/sport-2-16s-25131977/#product-details

Not a squeak as yet, extremely minimal adjustment required since new.

£169 all in.

10. Maz

Maz Guru

The gear changers in that bike in the link (do they call them downtube shifters?)...excuse my ignorance - I thought those were rather old school (I'm not saying crap or unreliable). Is it easy to use these shifters? They look a bit cumbersome to me.

11. col

col Veteran

You would be surprised how easy they are to use Maz,its all i had until my bike now,and very reliable,not much to go wrong with them,more direct control,if you tried them,it wouldnt take long before they were second nature.

12. gambatte

gambatte Middle of the pack...

When you consider how many countries they're in
    http://www.decathlon.com/new/en/020_distribution_networks/010-10_network_decathlon.html

how many stores they've got worldwide (and they're not small stores!)

You can see they've got the economy of scale that a lot of other bike manufacturers haven't got, they've got their own retail/service network and you're not paying a premium for a 'name'

Check out the B'twin website, you might be pleasantly surprised

http://www.btwincycle.com/EN/chambery-cyclisme-formation-10240525/

First company I've seen produce a £300 full sus MTB that got decent reviews.

13. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

Down tube shifters are dead easy, especially indexed ones. Still use Ultegra and Dura Ace down tube shifters on both my road bikes

14. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

am i right in thinking you can only put downtube shitters on bikes with narrow tubes, or even only ones with the bosses already drilled into the frame?

it is ridiculous though, 105s should be over a ton on their own, so if you want some shifters it's almost worth getting that bike and just keeping the rest for spares....

I think decathlon make good bikes and sell their bikes at a loss as a kind of loss-leader in order to keep people coming back to the store for the accessories most of which are total crap.

15. John the Monkey

John the Monkey Frivolous Cyclist

I reckon indexed ones for the rear block is the way to go, if not all round. (TBH, friction is easy enough for the front, as the alignment is less crucial).

I found downtube shifters ok to ride with Maz, although you have to anticipate the gear change a bit more than you do with STis or Ergos. With non indexed shifters, getting the alignment right (esp. on the rear) is the thing to get used to, as otherwise the chain rattles about and you may get spontaneous changes of gear :biggrin: . With an indexed rear (the Sport 1 is friction front, indexed rear) it's easy as long as it's adjusted correctly.

The only other complication is having to have one hand off the bars whilst changing - not always possible if the roads are a bit poo and you need to hang on over the potholes :biggrin: