Cheap degreaser?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tojo

Über Member
Poundland....Elbow grease....don't ask how much it costs........:crazy:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I use Jizer, about £16 for five litres including carriage online. The gunk from the last session sediments out very well so you can use it again and again. I keep it in old plastic PET bottles. I also use it in an ultrasonic bath. I'm not sure if it's supposed to ignite in there, but it never has yet, and the chain comes out absolutely gleaming.

Lpoolck

Veteran
I use the screwfix one for cleaning my chainset and it works flawlessly. I dilute it down to around 1 part degreaser to around 6 parts water and it works fine and works out great value for money compared to bike specific degreasers. I don't use it to wash the bike, for that I use car shampoo.

Kevoffthetee

On the road to nowhere
I use Smart RTF Remover which I get from work. 5:1 in warm water and leave it in there for 5 mins. Then marigolds on and attack it with a tooth brush. Compressor and airline to blast any moisture out then wet/dry lube the chain once it's back on the bike.

All done in my morning break at work

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I never use a degreaser. Regular oil of the chain, and wipe off with an old rag (e.g. cotton T-shirt). If the MTB get's filthy, hose off the chain, then oil, and wipe/wipe.

Paintwork/components - soapy water, sponge and brush. Mr Sheen to shine !

You don't need it. If the chain is getting gunked with oily muck, a small screwdriver to poke out the muck, then oil and wipe again. Degreaser strips out all the oil.

OP
OP
B

blimpnoddle

I use the screwfix one for cleaning my chainset and it works flawlessly. I dilute it down to around 1 part degreaser to around 6 parts water and it works fine and works out great value for money compared to bike specific degreasers. I don't use it to wash the bike, for that I use car shampoo.
Thanks for the useful info. Just to make sure I've understood you properly, you dilute 1 to 6 not for general bike cleaning but for degreasing chainset, is that correct? Sounds as if it would be too weak but if you do it and it works that's very impressive. If so I'll get some.

PS - I guess noone's tried the Swarfega degreaser I linked.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Once the chain is clean, rinsed and dried, one surely replaces the lubricant? In the event of a really deep clean one could even soak the chain.

Lpoolck

Veteran
Thanks for the useful info. Just to make sure I've understood you properly, you dilute 1 to 6 not for general bike cleaning but for degreasing chainset, is that correct? Sounds as if it would be too weak but if you do it and it works that's very impressive. If so I'll get some.

Correct, I use it with brushes to clean cassette/chainrings/jockey wheels and pour some in a chain cleaner. Works for me.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I'm planning on using diesel this year, I've used Simple Green and citrus degreasers in the past, but you can't beat the price and reliability of diesel. Over here, about US 1.75 per gallon. I can get that while I'm caring for my charges.(13 Busses).

jiberjaber

Veteran

Me too, I don't bother diluting it, just put it in a old spritzer bottle and spray on the cassette neat, then use a paint brush with a mix of water and degreaser to agitate the grease and rinse it all off... in the chain I use it neat with a chain cleaning tool, though I am presently experimenting with not using a chain cleaning tool and just rags to clean the chain at the moment...

I wouldn't recommend using degreaser to clean the frame etc, car shampoo is probably the best for that, though I do use degreaser on the chain arm to get any oil stains off there before I use my nice clean sponge on it, being a white bike, its not fun if you transfer a blank smudge all over :smile:

Top Bottom