Cheap(ish) Merino

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clefty

Was just in my local Uniqlo and they have a shed load of merino in there, all colours, lots of styles all for 20 quid a pop.
picked up a nice red v neck and tis lovely, will defo be buying some more

girofan

;) Never heard of Uniglo "clefty". What sort of business are they?
Where else in the country do they trade and do they have a website?

HarryB

Clefty, before you spend any more money I'd suggest you wash your new purchase. Most cheap merino shrinks (even in 30 wash) like you wouldn't believe

OP
OP
clefty

clefty

i agree the website is a bit busy, and there's not a lot of merino on it, I however found loads in the Wimbledon branch. I've bought a fair amount of stuff from these guys before (albeit not merino) and although cheap they are very good quality clothes (i.e. not like Primark) I'll let you know how it washes tho

Blonde

Can't see any base layers as such. They seem to have sweaters/jumpers in merino (using product search) but no vests, t-shirts or base layers for women.

Blonde said:
Can't see any base layers as such. They seem to have sweaters/jumpers in merino (using product search) but no vests, t-shirts or base layers for women.

ground effect do some now... www.groundeffect.co.nz

they have a female specific range too

bikingtom

"Cheap" merino is a waste of money. It'll itch, shrink and be a load of tat. Know - tried it. Ended up chucking it away after one wash. Real, good, wear-next-to-skin merino isn't a cheap fabric simply cos there's not a lot of it about. What theres plenty of is not-so-good merino that's badly made (invariably in China). Either save up and buy something decent or forget it.

LazyLoki

Icebreaker stuff certainly isn't cheap merino, however that is quite a cheap price for Icebreaker stuff...it you know what I mean!

I've got one of those Oasis shirts and its a really nice baselayer. Warm, doesn't itch and you can wear it for days and days on end without it starting to smell! :sad:

The only downside of merino as opposed to synthetic baselayers is that they don't really 'wick' sweat away from the skin, they just remain comfortable even if they do get wet.

yello

I have seen cheap Italian merino, I think it was in Muji or maybe that shop on Regent Street (corner of Air Street?), name evades me... anyways, I didn't bother.

Some things can only be so cheap, and I reckon NZ/Aussie merino falls into that category. You get what you pay for and, imho at least, Icebreaker is (or certainly was) worth paying for.

Top Bottom