'Cheap' or finance?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JCroxton1

Looking at picking up a new bike for the summer. I like the new Roubaix, but have a few options:

Cash budget is around £2000.

Option 1: Buy something for £1900: namely this from my local shop: http://www.bikesheduk.com/specialized-roubaix-sl4-elite-2017

Option 2: Spend more - but via finance. They also have this: http://www.bikesheduk.com/specialized-roubaix-sl4-expert-udi2-2017 My LBS do offer bike finance, so although I've not applied, I assume I'd be accepted?

Anyone got any opinions/experience of either of the above?? And which you'd go for?

Option 3: A friend is selling an Emonda SLR Frameset (H2) for £1100. I could buy this and spend the rest on parts - including using bits I have in the garage to complete the build.

Help very much appreciated.

vickster

Legendary Member
What's the finance rate (0% only if can pay off over 12 months) and can you afford the payments and necessary imo insurance premiums (which will be significant for a £4k bike even named on your home policy), even if the worst should happen (lose job, bike stolen, can no longer ride for whatever reason)

Go ride the bikes and decide which you line regardless of the cost assuming all are affordable. Only you can decide whether a bike warrants the additional cost and debt if on finance.
How will you feel if the more expensive bike is reduced in 6 months time and you are still paying it off?

Personally I wouldn't spend 2k on a Specialized but if you like them decide after the test ride

What do you expect from the upgraded parts? Will you forever think what if if you go for the cheaper bike? Or end up 'upgrading' anyhow which will cost more. £2k is hardly cheap

Bear in mind with the second hand Trek there's no warranty

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
I'd go for option a) in your shoes. Sure, the finance option may get you a more expensive bike, but it'll probably be a vanity thing and unlikely to be or go any 'better'.

Your call though, only you know what suits you best.

vickster

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4671859, member: 45"]This.[/QUOTE]
There is a 0% finance option looking at his link, if paid off over 12 months, less aggro than with the CC, although you'll get retailer protection with a CC (not sure why you'd need it for a bike)

When it comes to negotiation, £100 of cash off the price is £100 for buyer and seller. £100 of free accessories is £100 to the buyer but only £50 or so to the seller.

OP
OP
J

JCroxton1

Have you got 2 grand legs or 4 grand legs^_^
Like to think they're 6 grand legs, but more likely £60!

mark st1

Plastic Manc
Bikes seem fairly similar to me except the £2000 extra buys you Udi2 and possibly a slightly better wheel set. However being stick wheels on a Spesh they will be pretty pony anyway. I'd go option 1 personally and upgrade to Udi2 if you feel it's the need. I've had 105 11 speed and thought it was fantastic. Enjoy either though nice bikes.

davidphilips

Veteran
as screenman said I see quite a few people each week who regret buying on finance, i would avoid finance.

if it was me i would wait until i was sure what bike i wanted with the spec i wanted no use buying an expensive anything and a day/ week later regretting not buying something different/better at a better price.

vickster

Legendary Member
Not all bikes get reduced, especially the top of the range ones, no need, enough punters to buy the small production runs

vickster

Legendary Member
Guess it depends if he wants his new bike now for spring and summer or in September ready for autumn and winter

He could likely get a bike with a spec like the black Roubaix for less than 4K if he shops around other brands

Top Bottom