'Cheap' or finance?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
But what if you don't have that many pennies?

Or if you like beautiful feel and simplicity of a well set up mechanical system?

Don't buy it?

Tin Pot

Guru
Why? if 0% and no issues with paying back? I've used 0% finance for biggish purchases in the past (not bikes, kitchen for example) and have never had an issue as in all cases I've had the funds.
Why not take advantage of 0%, particularly in those long forgotten days when savings earned more than 0.5% in interest! Obviously, an interest bearing loan is different, I don't pay to borrow money (except a very small mortgage, but I have to live somewhere)

Avoiding debt is always a good idea. People get into trouble even on 0% finance and it doesn't take much for the ball of debt to start rolling. Stopping it, not so easy.

barongreenback

Über Member
As I understand it, the frame is exactly the same until you get to the S-Works models. So why not go for the Elite now and save up for a few upgrades when you've spent some time with it and you know what you'd enjoy most?

Incidentally, I'm also looking at the Roubaix and I felt the Comp was a good balance between spec and price. Just trying to set up a test ride at the moment. Open to suggestions on any alternatives that would be as comfortable to ride.

adamangler

Veteran
Presumably there are other parts too, not least a frame. It's very easy to pay that for just a frame in Ti or indeed custom steel, obviously plastic coated soot is cheaper ;)

Yes but its not steel or T.I its probably not even a high modulus carbon. Its a an overpriced specialized was my point.

1900 quid for some steel tube welded together is hardly a bargain either, however retro it makes you feel.

Tin Pot

Guru
Looking at picking up a new bike for the summer. I like the new Roubaix, but have a few options:

Cash budget is around £2000.

Option 1: Buy something for £1900: namely this from my local shop: http://www.bikesheduk.com/specialized-roubaix-sl4-elite-2017

Option 2: Spend more - but via finance. They also have this: http://www.bikesheduk.com/specialized-roubaix-sl4-expert-udi2-2017 My LBS do offer bike finance, so although I've not applied, I assume I'd be accepted?

Anyone got any opinions/experience of either of the above?? And which you'd go for?

Option 3: A friend is selling an Emonda SLR Frameset (H2) for £1100. I could buy this and spend the rest on parts - including using bits I have in the garage to complete the build.

Help very much appreciated.

What colour is the Roubaix and Edmonda?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
What colour is the Roubaix and Edmonda?

Finally after 3 pages, someone nails it.

Ride2017

[QUOTE 4671878, member: 45"]they're pretty strict on you paying ticket price. If you don't take finance you can generally get money off or a deal on extras.[/QUOTE]

Not my experience of Specialized..... using Google try and find a single company that's not selling at Specialized "Recommended" Retail Price. Some places will admit that Specialized don't allow them to discount or sell non-standard bikes. As an American company I guess nobodies told them that price fixing in the U.K. is illegal ;)

Anyway to the OP I definitely wouldn't be buying a bike now as in a few months they'll start to clear out the 2017 models to make way for the 2018 ones and again looking in Google 25% discounts seem to be pretty standard.

Top Bottom