Cheap racer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spoons47

Hello all.
my 14 year old son will be undertaking a school project for his Engineering class. So he is looking for a road/racer cycle that he can restore or upgrade components etc. His budget is approx £50 although I could help him a bit if a bargain was to be had. Don't mind travelling a few miles to collect.
Thank you in Advance
Cheers

Simon

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Be useful if you told us where you're located spoons. Maybe @biggs682 has something in his stable although carriage might kill it.

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
thanks @Cycleops

@Spoons47 what or how much of a project does your son want ?
ie just a frame and build up or a complete bike to get going again ?
is he going to ride it if so how tall and or what frame size does he want
and your location , i an in Wellingborough nn8 postcode

OP
OP
Spoons47

Spoons47

thanks for your reply.
Ideally he is looking for a complete bike, to get going. He will be riding it as he is in charge of the project and will be financing it. Im in Crawley West Sussex but have a annual gold card so can get cheap train tickets

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@Spoons47 how about this

Just back from picking this very original Dawes Debonair up.

View attachment 417727

View attachment 417731

Previous owner told me a bit about it is owned from new by his best friend who lent it to him a long time ago unfortunately his best friend was killed in an accident and he became the owner.

View attachment 417728

He told me how he had ridden many a happy mile on it over the years but couldn't recollect the last time it was used .

Looks all original with some nice bits on it ie 32/40 hole wheel set , ideale type 43 record leather saddle , cocordinating blumell guards , milremo stem and a nice set of Dawes engraved bars .

Zs6974 stamped on the r/h rear dropout .

View attachment 417730

After a quick wet wipe down .

View attachment 417733

Might need some tyre's

walkman-man

If you're able to get up to north London, I have an old Elswick frame in around this size. I also have suitable parts to build it up with, but this might too much of a project than he'd wish to tackle?

WHT

Hello all.
my 14-year-old son will be undertaking a school project for his Engineering class. So he is looking for a road/racer cycle that he can restore or upgrade components etc. His budget is approx £50 although I could help him a bit if a bargain was to be had. Don't mind travelling a few miles to collect.
Thank you in Advance
Cheers

Simon
Look on Gumtree online. That is where I found my 'rescue' bike. Also, the marketplace on facebook is good for secondhand stuff. Ah! See you've already tried gumtree! Try Friday Ad online too.

Top Bottom