Cheap Singlespeed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
With 205£ you'd get a pair of Campagnolo cranks. If you are looking for a basic single speed to begin with I'd say go for it.

I used to see a guy on that same model most mornings, although I haven't seen him for a while, (may be a fair-weather dude I guess). It looked the part though ploughing through rush hour traffic.

I don't know anything else about that particular bike, but a mate of mine did the Bolton Ironman UK last year on a Viking Tri-Race. Different bike granted, but it took 12 months of training and 8.5 hours of abuse on teh day without any issues whatsoever.

Also, Angelfishsolo, (formerly of this parish) had a Viking bike too, (the model eludes me), and he was always championing it.

With all that said though, (and this doesn't help you with your Debs voucher), but for that budget, (and a 6-8 week lead time!), I'd be buying a second hand bike TBH.

I used to see a guy on that same model most mornings, although I haven't seen him for a while, (may be a fair-weather dude I guess).

I don't know anything else about that particular bike, but a mate of mine did the Bolton Ironman UK last year on a Viking Tri-Race. Different bike granted, but it took 12 months of training and 8.5 hours of abuse on teh day without any issues whatsoever.

Also, Angelfishsolo, (formerly of this parish) had a Viking bike too, (the model eludes me), and he was always championing it.

With all that said though, (and this doesn't help you with your Debs voucher), but for that budget, (and a 6-8 week lead time!), I'd be buying a second hand bike TBH.
I have bought a few second hand bikes in my life and can say that an used bike worth of 200£ easily swallows an another 200£ in form of maintenance costs.

jim55

Guru
yeah its a solid bike ,budget but solid ,if anything is gonna dissapoint itl b the weight of it (mostly the frame )wheels ,brakes and stuff are fine ,i got another viking/coyote (very similiar) s/s and i think the parts are used across the board on most of these bikes ,looks really nice though ,i seen one in the flesh with a nice honey brooks and matching bar tape and it was lovely (with a retro look)id say yeah ,go for it:thumbsup:

and btw it was a giro d'italia that angelfish solo had i think ,a cheapish geared bike,like most of the viking brand ,it looked nice ,but obv built to a price

I have bought a few second hand bikes in my life and can say that an used bike worth of 200£ easily swallows an another 200£ in form of maintenance costs.
It's true, that can happen if you are unlucky, (or don't know what you're looking at - not suggesting this in your case JH, although I don't know you).

I actually have a bike in the shed now that I planned to just ride round on, but it's now sat in bits waiting for me to throw several £££'s at it, but that's also down to me being a fanny :blush: and wanting everything just so, the fact is I could still be riding it if I'd really wanted to, but I hear what your saying.

I also appreciate some folk are not comfortable in their own abilities as regards mechanical nouse when it comes to checking used bikes over.

simon.r

Person
Couple of points :

Is it 1 53cm (in product summary) or 56cm (in header)?
Assume you realise it's fixed rather than a singles-peed freewheel?

jim55

Guru
Couple of points :

Is it 1 53cm (in product summary) or 56cm (in header)?
Assume you realise it's fixed rather than a singles-peed freewheel?
WHEELS: Viking 700c Silver Double wall alloy rims, with Joytech alloy 36 hole hubs, Flip Flop rear hub.
sw/s freewheel one side and u flip the wheel round for fixed

You get what you pay for :wacko: . I love my similar Viking Road FX/SS, it weighs a fair bit but 2,330 miles later and I'm surprised nothing has went wrong (not even a p'ture!) for me so far, touch wood its been the perfect commuter and leave around town bike. @edindave didn't even get his out of the box however, before things started to go wrong for him.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I've had £110 of Debenham's gift cards burning a hole in my wallet for about 8 months. I was idly perusing their website earlier, when I realised they sell bikes!

I've wanted a singlespeed for ages, and I saw this for £205, which means I'd only have to stump up £90 of cash to own one. But is it cheap & cheerful, or cheap & nasty?

http://www.debenhamsplus.com/DE_Viking_Mother_and_Baby_Bikes_60054353/version.asp
Hip Priest i can do you a good price on this http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/saracen-sestriere-single-speed-bike.117927/

I think you must have just been really unlucky.

I just followed the maintenance schedule which I use for all of my bikes. And despite the low mileage this is what I "had" to replace.

25£ for shifter rubber covers.
20£ for new chains.
38£ low friction cable & housing set
60£ for new tires (inner and outer)
26£ for brake pads
15£ for bar tape.
3£ for bar end plugs.
1£ for one car less sticker :biggrin: (not necessary)

Top Bottom