Cheap turbo trainer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

billy92

After not getting out much this year due to the weather and a fractured hand I've decided I would like to buy a turbo trainer to increase my fitness on top of the daily commute to uni. However, I have no experience with these so I have a few questions

Is there much difference between the different models and brands?
Would I be better buying rollers?
What's the cheapest rollers which will do an acceptable job?

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Budget?

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Try gumtree/local free ads/local clubs first. Turbos are hefty so if someone else has taken the wallet hit for postage, you might as well take advantage.

Then again, you may find a local seller on ebay

philinmerthyr

Über Member
Does a bike need and modification to be used on a turbo trainer?

Does using a turbo trainer damage tyres or wheels?

Arsen Gere

Über Member
Does a bike need and modification to be used on a turbo trainer?

Does using a turbo trainer damage tyres or wheels?

I just use my ordinary road bike and don't change anything. Tyres get a coating on them and can wear flat rather than a more rounded edge. Some people use a different skewer. I don't. Some use a turbo tyre to get more grip, they are a softer compound and wear faster. I just use my normal road tyres.
The only damage to a wheel I have seen is when someone did not secure themselves properly and the bike fell out of the turbo and it hit a spoke.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Rollers won't help if you have any broken bones - i.e. you've still got to 'ride' the bike. Turbos are useful if you've got an arm/shoulder/hand out of action.

Tacx do some good ones, even there bottom end models are quality.

OP
OP
billy92

billy92

Thanks guys I'll be sure to look at them. Other suggestions are also welcome. My hand is better now but I have been off for such a long time I want to get some rides indoors when the weather is especially bad as this has been a slow start to the year.

Top Bottom