Cheap Vs Expensive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
I don’t get the difference between buying a cheap road bike and a really expensive one.

why do people buy +£1000 pound bikes, and go on about lube and changing parts every year or so etc.

I bought my steel road bike years ago for like £60 or £80 a few year ago, so far I’ve bought some new wheels and tires and a cable probs something else.

Point is I haven’t spent much, yet I can still ride fast and get some good KOM's on strava.

Are the really worth it and why?

BSRU

A Human Being
Because people can^_^

PpPete

Legendary Member
A really good steel road bike could be very close to a modern titanium or carbon fibre or the best of the aluminium frames.
You don't say whether your £60 or £80 was second hand.... I'm guessing it was.

Just don't do what I did and walk into a really enthusiastic shop who insists you try out the latest greatest... after you've just done a hard ride on your old bike. As I said at the time, "it's like strapping on a fresh pair of legs".

OP
OP
Peter Armstrong

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
People ask me why I dont get a new bike, It looks pritty shabby up close, I sort of just grind off the rust and spray a blob of paint over the area, (the paint gets on other stuff like the gears or what ever) makes it look worst. And theres dirty oil all over it etc, ow and the rear cog think move about abit, ow and the brakes sqweek. It all works tho, so why upgrade

GrasB

Veteran
Point is I haven’t spent much, yet I can still ride fast and get some good KOM's on strava.
How many miles have you ridden? I get to the point where my cassettes are slipping in one gear or another within 10k miles, that's less than a years riding for me. Obviously if you're looking at 2k miles a year you'll get 5 years out of a cassette.

Lee_M

Guru
Because people can^_^

what he said

anyone can do what they like, but not looking after your bike isn't something to be proud of.

When people spend a lot of money it's an investment, so they look after it to make sure it lasts.
and not everyone rides just to brag on strava

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
There is a price point/equipment grade where it makes sence getting a good level of kit.

For example - Tiagra is an excellent groupset - you can pay bits more here and there for better parts.

Can't say 've ever regretted buying Dura Ace for the best bike - it's been on the bike 22 years. I originally had a loose cup BB, but only changed that when the cartridge ones came out - bought the Dura Ace/XTR bb for about £70 (over 15 years ago) and haven't ever touched it - other than to remove to check frame and re-assemble. Same with the pedals - haven't once needed to service them, but they were top of the range. Headset was changed to a cartridge DA a few years ago because the old one had finally pitted. That was over £60 for the headset. When I bought the bike I had the spare cash, wasn't married or had kids. Would be very different now if I wanted to splash that cash again.

My commuter was a mix of 'good' long lasting parts - wasn't cheap, and was bought on a 'most durable and reasonable weight basis'. BB is a basic cartridge shimano - easy to replace if it fails - hasn't in over 3 years. Headset - fairly standard, but protected as have guards. Hubs - reasonable Formula ones - LBS recommended as it's easy and cheap to replace the cartridge bearings - also easy to re-grease ! Rims high quality Mavics - been re-placed 2-3 times now due to wear. Bars/stem - went near higher end as the weight/strength was much better than the cheaper ones. Got XT SPD's for about £45 - well sealed, and a doddle to re-grease.

You probably got your steel bike second hand - they are very good bikes - don't know the kit on it, but if looked after and maintained they last.

Some folk like changing and modding bikes - better than doing it to a car ! Your money, do what you like with it.

OP
OP
Peter Armstrong

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
what he said

anyone can do what they like, but not looking after your bike isn't something to be proud of.

When people spend a lot of money it's an investment, so they look after it to make sure it lasts.
and not everyone rides just to brag on strava

No its not, I do the best I can with the money ive got.

Who brags on Strava?

Lee_M

Guru
So far about 600 + miles, I have no idea what it did in its 18 years or so life before me.

so you havent yet had it long enough to know if your lack of maintenance is a long term successful strategy or if it will suddenly collapse in a heap and the seat post end up your arse :ohmy:

Lee_M

Guru
No its not, I do the best I can with the money ive got.

that wasnt what you implied, everyone has a financial limit and have to live within that, there's nothing wrong with that
dont know how old you are or how well off you are, but some people are older and richer and can choose to buy themselves nicer bikes. Its not a case of thinking they are good enough to notice the difference from an expensive bike, but its nice to have one :bicycle:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
So far about 600 + miles, I have no idea what it did in its 18 years or so life before me.

Ah that's not loads yet then.

Many of us are clocking that in 4 - 6 weeks of commuting say, in all weathers, so spending £1k on a bike makes sence if you read my post above. My best bike isn't used all the time now - just the odd weekend, but the last 3 times it's been out in the rain and muck. Just gets cleaned up, dried out and lubed and put away for the next ride.

OP
OP
Peter Armstrong

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
so you havent yet had it long enough to know if your lack of maintenance is a long term successful strategy or if it will suddenly collapse in a heap and the seat post end up your arse :ohmy:

Which also means I havnt had it long enough to class the maintenace as "Lack of maintenance" .

OP
OP
Peter Armstrong

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
Ah that's not loads yet then.

Many of us are clocking that in 4 - 6 weeks of commuting say, in all weathers, so spending £1k on a bike makes sence if you read my post above. My best bike isn't used all the time now - just the odd weekend, but the last 3 times it's been out in the rain and muck. Just gets cleaned up, dried out and lubed and put away for the next ride.

In terms of speed then, I supose my only Issue is weight and gears? The lighter the bike the faster and the lighter the bike the more expensive it will be
Therefore Fast = Expensive ?

Top Bottom