Cheaper insurance for 'cycle aware' drivers.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
I bit of a step in the right direction

Not as cheap as "no insurance" though, which half of the buggers round here have

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
The ABI have already said that the government hasn't discussed this with them yet and can't see how it'll produce lower premiums, given that less than 0.1% of motor claims involve cyclists.

I've been cycling since I was 5 so I'd have to take a cycling awareness course to qualify?

I notice there's no HYS commenting been opened on this one. Perhaps they're scared it will divert the hate and shoot slinging from today's brexit clickbait.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The ABI have already said that the government hasn't discussed this with them yet and can't see how it'll produce lower premiums, given that less than 0.1% of motor claims involve cyclists.
But how many % of motor claims involve drivers who are also trained cyclists compared to drivers who aren't? If it's dispropotionate, then that might suggest lower premiums would be justified.

One possibility suggested on another site is that the government might be looking to give some discount or rebate on the insurance premium tax to cyclists.

I'd expect take-up to be at least as good as PassPlus's (£180 course for a short-term reduction at best) - but I can't find anything say how many people do PassPlus each year.

Government pushing this rather than the insurers makes me doubt it will happen.

mjr

I've been cycling since I was 5 so I'd have to take a cycling awareness course to qualify?
Probably. Would a refresher hurt anything, though? It's been on my round tuit list since I picked up from comments (not directed at me) by a friend who works as a cycling trainer that I'd gotten into a couple of bad habits about junctions.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
But how many % of motor claims involve drivers who are also trained cyclists compared to drivers who aren't?

I doubt that's measured (or even measurable for historical cases) so it's impossible to say.
Would I qualify with over 50 years' experience in cycling and only an ancient cycling proficiency test pass to my name?

tom73

Guru
https://road.cc/content/news/252229...-cycle-training-crackdown-parking-cycle-lanes
Lot of this is what may happen if it ever will but we do know what wont be happening.
No to helmets and wear hi-vis being compulsory and bike licensing and number plates also out the window so not all bad.
But sadly the rest as with most government's reviews is on the whole a wasted op to really change stuff for the better all round.

mjr

https://road.cc/content/news/252229...-cycle-training-crackdown-parking-cycle-lanes
Lot of this is what may happen if it ever will but we do know what wont be happening.
No to helmets and wear hi-vis being compulsory and bike licensing and number plates also out the window so not all bad.
But sadly the rest as with most government's reviews is on the whole a wasted op to really change stuff for the better all round.
Congratulations - you agree with Cycling UK and others: https://www.cyclinguk.org/press-rel...ance-reacts-dft-proposals-improve-road-safety

Top Bottom