Cheapest brand new adult bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
If...

Change a letter?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If it gets someone into cycling and they upgrade to something better, which I'm sure a lot of people on here have done, then that's fine. Some people may only be able to afford such bikes, so really should we be mocking it or them.
Unfortunately for some getting a poor quality cheap bike has the opposite effect, turning them off cycling, as in @KneesUp post. Some of these bikes are so dreadful that they are truly worthy of mocking, but I don't think anybody has mocked people for buying them.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
If it gets someone into cycling and they upgrade to something better, which I'm sure a lot of people on here have done, then that's fine. Some people may only be able to afford such bikes, so really should we be mocking it or them.
agree ^^^

Unfortunately for some getting a poor quality cheap bike has the opposite effect, turning them off cycling, as in @KneesUp post. Some of these bikes are so dreadful that they are truly worthy of mocking, but I don't think anybody has mocked people for buying them.

similarly, some people will spend many hundreds or more on a fancy bike and all the kit and it'll be a similar 1 ride wonder.

I see far more cheap as chips Trax and Apollo and Tesco sold stuff riding regularly round my way than I do carbon flyers.
they may not be a leisure bike of choice but as a utility machine for someone who doesn't know or care about cycling & just wants to get about the place, they have a purpose and while we may scoff from our snobbery and enhanced awareness, 99.99% of the general population just see a person with a bike whether its a Pinarello scooting to the velodrome or an own brand £80 full suss thing bouncing out of the Asda next door

Last edited:

KneesUp

Guru

My current everyday bike cost me £26 from eBay. It's not especailly light, being a 24 year old mountain bike, but the difference between it and the free bike I got when I joined the gym is unbelievable. I ride this one four or five times a week. I rode the free one once.

I'm fortunate in that I was (mainly self) taught how to look after bikes as a kid, but even so I reckon you could get a better bike for less by getting one second-hand and getting your LBS to service it. This would also be better for the economy of the UK (keeping LBS in business) and for the world (fewer resources used)

Total cost of my bike including diesel to fetch it and a few service items was less than £40.

OP
OP
mrbikerboy73

mrbikerboy73

Über Member

I suppose it could go either way really but I see so many about, they must serve a purpose to many.
I ridden some shocking old sheds in my time but that's where it all began for me.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Decathlon have done various bikes around the £100 price point. None of them are made of cheese. Why can't the likes of Tesco and Sportsdirect do the same. A good British or EU minimum standard might be a good idea. Using metal instead of plastic brakes and decent bearings isn't going to change the price by much.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bicycle-N...1268784704?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item20e4469640

New, apparently, with a buy it now for £56. There are some cheaper ones if we stretch the definition to include listings where the bike is "new other", meaning I guess "never used".

The cassette looks decidedly un-new to me.

My old BSO, 'Sir Creaky Bike Of The Dump' was a Universal susser that I got from a furniture recycling place for £30.

I did ride it for quite a while, and I tried to get the most out of it, but it creaked and squeaked almost from day one, and it also started to corrode very quickly, so it eventually WAS taken to the dump where it belonged! (but not before I got a few bits and pieces off it).

Tin Pot

Guru
The tesco bike was out of stock so I bought a Trax TFS1 for around £79. Got me through a sprint triathlon...nearly last place, but it didn't fail me. Whereas I had three bike failures on my next tri on a Cinelli!

The Trax is a BSO but it got me into riding and I can go offroad with it occasionally.

Top Bottom