Cheapest PAYG mobile package?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I've just noticed that Three's 3/2/1 deal is over and it's now 10/10/5 (10p a minute, 10p a text, 5p per MB)

I don't use any data so just looking for cheap calls and texts. 3p a minute and 2p a text was amazing. £10 would last me 8 or 9 months.

10p a minute is still cheaper than my landline, but is there anyone offering cheaper PAYG deals?

:rolleyes:

vickster

Legendary Member

Punkawallah

Über Member
Use the 1pmobile for my 'dumb phone', had no problems.

They even allowed unused credit to make a payment. Thumbs up from me, but I don't use 'data'.

presta

Guru
My phone is on a 10 year old T-Mobile tariff that carries your calling credit over at the end of the month, instead of it expiring. I don't think that sort of tariff is available any more though, which is a major reason why I carry on using a broken phone that's falling to bits, because I only carry it in case of emergency. I last bought a £10 top-up when I was on holiday in August 2019, and I've still got £8.24 left.

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

My phone is on a 10 year old T-Mobile tariff that carries your calling credit over at the end of the month, instead of it expiring. I don't think that sort of tariff is available any more though, which is a major reason why I carry on using a broken phone that's falling to bits, because I only carry it in case of emergency. I last bought a £10 top-up when I was on holiday in August 2019, and I've still got £8.24 left.
that's why I moved to Three in the first place, the £10 didn't expire until it was spent, which saved me over £100 a year

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

Good advice...

TOP-UP REQUIREMENT
  1. In order to remain a customer, you must top-up your 1pMobile phone/account with at least £10 once every 120 days (4 months) with effect from the Commencement Date.
  2. If you fail to top-up by the next top-up due date (which is shown in your account area),
    1. we will close your 1pMobile account,
    2. your mobile number will be disconnected,
    3. and any unused credit will be lost.
    4. If you have ported a mobile number to us then the number will be returned to the issuing network provider and may not be retrievable.
  3. The current minimum topup is £10.

...so £30 a year whether i use the credit or not, and I'd have to set up a top-up alarm to remind me :blush:

I might be better off sticking with Three. I've just topped up another £10 with them so will have to see how long that lasts :okay:

I'm with O2. My texts are significantly less than 10p each, but I can't tell you what my calls cost per minute. I don't use data. I have no idea what the deal was called when I got it, as the lad in the mobile shop - where I bought a Big Button Old Lady dumb phone - had to set it up for me as my eyesight was extremely poor at the time. He asked me how I used the phone and then told me he'd set me up with an O2 PAYG account with no minimum payment and no expiry of credit. I've probably bought just a little more than £10 credit each year since I've had it, which is four years.

I've got an ASDA PAYG sim. Calls cost 4p a minute and you only have to make one chargeable call every 6 months to keep it active. The minimum top-up was £1. I haven't topped it up for a year or two so I don't know if it still is.
https://mobile.asda.com/pay-as-you-go
Yep my dumb phone is with Asda.
Very good.
But I am following this thread with interest as they are forcing all their customers to "reapply" to port to Vodafone (or go elsewhere) or their service and phone number will lapse.
I think mine is/was 8p per min though - 4p per text.

Chris S

Legendary Member
But I am following this thread with interest as they are forcing all their customers to "reapply" to port to Vodafone (or go elsewhere) or their service and phone number will lapse.
I've swapped and you keep the same phone number. You also get a free bundle with unlimited calls for 30 days and you don't have to buy another one. You just top up as before.

All the details are here:
https://mobile.asda.com/my-account/migrate/initiate-migration

Top Bottom