Cheapest Tiagra roadie for 1st time/ cleet advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Good price. Shoes do tend to come up a little small so you may want to go up a size. What pedals are you getting?

OP
OP
O

Omario7

Regular
Good price. Shoes do tend to come up a little small so you may want to go up a size. What pedals are you getting?
Undecided on pedals. Any advice?

OP
OP
O

Omario7

Regular
Depends whether you go for SPD or SPD-SL...the latter are generally more costly
Right...went to cycle surgery today. Had a v.helpful and knowledgable staff member, who recommended i had a look at a specialized allez (thought it wud suit me) at fort dunlop store. However he thought the eddy merckx amx-1 has an awesum spec for its price. Also recommended spd-mtb's ratha than sl's (due to usin them to walk as well as ride with). There is a tourin pedel which has 1side spd and other side normal pedal for normal trainer use.

OP
OP
O

Omario7

Regular
Thnx vickster. Btw, the z95 is on sale for £500 in diff. Sizes!!! I'l b poppin over to evans cycles shortly to hav a look at the merckx, and to try some clipless footwear
Where hav u seen the defy 2 priced at £639? The cheapest i hav seen it is £700. I'm goin to hav a look at one at fort dunlop in a few mins...

OP
OP
O

Omario7

Regular
Giant store in Twickenham - don't think there is one near Brum http://www.giant-stores.co.uk/

I am very happy with my Avail 2 (ladies Defy 2) - from Cyclesurgery for £700

Very good review here http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/road/product/review-giant-defy-2-12-45687

Yes, i agree with ur specialized comment. The chap at CS said that Trek's r generally not as comfortable as Giants. I'm by the minute convincin myself to go with the defy...btw, wot do u think abt the cateye el220/ld150 set? £22 on ebay!!! Bargain i think

Personally I think Specialized bikes are overpriced for the spec at full price

Trek 1.5 is a similar spec to the Defy 2 I think - and is around £700 from CS

OP
OP
O

Omario7

Regular
Cambridge store hav 1 left in m/l (which shud b fine for me being 5ft10). I'l get it checked at fort dunlop. They hav a display one at £639. I'l get the FD guys to price match (as per their website!!!). Hope they approve.

vickster

Legendary Member
I am not far off 5'10 with 33 inside leg and the M was too big and ML huge. However poss shorter in back and smaller hands being a woman, albeit a big one lol. Make sure you try it out ok. Happy shopping :-)

Zakalwe

I'd be wary of any shop statement like "brand x isn't as comfy as brand y", along with "I think bike Z suits you better" - Sounds more like target hitting tactics to me.

Any bike is comfortable given the correctly shaped person sitting on it, the only way you'll know if it suits you is by riding it.

One of my bikes is an Allez and I'm happy with it, full Tiagra '09 model which was a smidgen over £700 back then. The bits and pieces approach you get now with components smacks a bit with Spesh now. Still, the frame fits me well enough and does its job over the winter. Your mileage, as they say, will vary.

Just get out and ride them and one of them will stand out.

OP
OP
O

Omario7

Regular
I'd be wary of any shop statement like "brand x isn't as comfy as brand y", along with "I think bike Z suits you better" - Sounds more like target hitting tactics to me.

Any bike is comfortable given the correctly shaped person sitting on it, the only way you'll know if it suits you is by riding it.

One of my bikes is an Allez and I'm happy with it, full Tiagra '09 model which was a smidgen over £700 back then. The bits and pieces approach you get now with components smacks a bit with Spesh now. Still, the frame fits me well enough and does its job over the winter. Your mileage, as they say, will vary.

Just get out and ride them and one of them will stand out.

Thnx4advice. I wudv thought like u but the chap recommended an allez which they didnt stock anyway. However my job's done for today...

OP
OP
O

Omario7

Regular
Right...afta 2long days researchin and gettin sum awesum advice from u guys (esp. Vickster!!!), i went out and bought the followin from Cycle Surgery, but price matchin:

- Defy 2 2012 (£674)
- Mavic Pulse MTB shoes (£68)
- Shimano A530 touring pedals (£28)

I'm well chuffed with this and cannot wait for it to arrive (as it's on order). Btw i did try the defy 5 at fort dunlop in m and m/l, and found m to b a bit too small.

I'm now waitin for my ebay bid on set of Cateye EL220/ LD150 lights to end (i'm currently the highest bidder with £12.50 and 24mins left!!!)

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Nice one. wishing you many happy miles on it.I have the same pedals.If you havent used spd Pedals before make sure you adjust the pedal to its loosest adjustment until you get used to them. This allows easier release if you have to stop in a hurry or the chain comes off or some other mini disaster occurs while you are clipped in.

Top Bottom