cheapish, inconspicuous camera

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

united4ever

Über Member
Does it exist....don't want big square one on helmet since I think they wind people up sadly. Are there any that look like a light on front handlebars?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Why do you want one?

OP
OP
U

united4ever

Über Member
mainly the feeling of riding alone down a country lane, would be good to have some recourse should some loon try to drive me off the road or maybe if someone tries mugging me on the canal path I commute on year round.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
mainly the feeling of riding alone down a country lane, would be good to have some recourse should some loon try to drive me off the road or maybe if someone tries mugging me on the canal path I commute on year round.
I don't have one. I've been offed a couple of times by bad driving but I wasn't hurt enough to care about it. From the few camera clips that I've seen posted by cyclists, my guess is that you will get far better footage of an accident if the camera is on your head somewhere, rather than the bars. Your head tends to follow your eyes. Your eyes naturally look at potentially hazards.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Ah, linked the wrong one. :blush::laugh:
Quite a fun idea though, increasing brightness as you go faster. Probably overcomplicated and unnecessary but as someone who's not really a fan of overly bright lights I sort of like it.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I was knocked off my bike while commuting with quite serious injuries as a result. I am really, really, really glad I didn't have a camera or light on my head.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
I don't have one. I've been offed a couple of times by bad driving but I wasn't hurt enough to care about it. From the few camera clips that I've seen posted by cyclists, my guess is that you will get far better footage of an accident if the camera is on your head somewhere, rather than the bars. Your head tends to follow your eyes. Your eyes naturally look at potentially hazards.
Although your not supposed to mount things on your helmet I agree with you. Different reason though - your body acts as one big shock absorber giving smoother footage than a bike mounted camera.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Bear in mind it's another thing to have to switch on before you start. If you can get in the mindset of switch it on, leave it, and don't review it unless needed then fine, otherwise you can get obsessed - a bit like Garmin devices - I switch my Garmin on, then leave it to do it's recording.

Met an angry man on an electric hybrid with a head camera last night. He cut me up (I was in the car), then I passed him some time later with 3m-4m space, and he started shaking his head - what's that about ?. His road presence was poor also. It does distract from riding pleasure in my experience.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Although your not supposed to mount things on your helmet I agree with you. Different reason though - your body acts as one big shock absorber giving smoother footage than a bike mounted camera.
The better cameras have image stabilisation so not really an Issue if you opt for one of those.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Does it exist....don't want big square one on helmet since I think they wind people up sadly. Are there any that look like a light on front handlebars?

The Fly12 fits the bill but isn't cheap. This is the old model (which is excellent) so you might get a bargain on one of the internet auction/classifieds sites.

Fly12.png

DSK

Drift Ghost X. Great battery life, can used on helmet, mounted to bike, vehicle etc.

There are similar style cameras available but, you need to be careful that the picture quality remains strong across all light conditions, which the cheap ones won't be able to to offer.

Top Bottom