Cheating at scrabble

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sorry I am a bit slow on this one.

So some kid sneaked in two blanks into a game. How could he then play them without being caught?
There are two blanks in a game and if he plays extra then it will be obvious.

If you want to cheat then take eight letters and hide the last one until you need it and then near the end take one less. (Not that i do)

(is it worse to be in a scrabble competition or to talk about it on here?)

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
It's the principle... something we're good at on here!

Mrs A_T was helping with a Middle School Christmas Fair tombola when she became aware that the 2 girls helping to set it up [daughters of the Chairman of the Governors... makes him sound a bit posh but he isn't like that] were keeping hold of the winning tickets ending with 0 and 5 and passing them round to their clique.... had a quiet word with them both and insisted that they put them all back and paid for their tickets like everyone else. She didn't make a fuss at the time- just watched them like a hawk.... the 2 girls turned out OK- they were very contrite at the time and very scared... both have mentioned it to Mrs A_T as a lesson learned since- they are 26 and 22 now!

tyred

Legendary Member
Tut, tut, cheating:gun: Wouldn't catch me doing that.

Oops, my spare ace of hearts has fallen out of my sleeve.

Bman

Guru
I thought it was the other way around, the cheater tried to get rid of the two blanks he had been delt by dropping them?

This made sence to me as the blank tiles do not give you a score.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I thought it was the other way around, the cheater tried to get rid of the two blanks he had been delt by dropping them?

This made sence to me as the blank tiles do not give you a score.
Surely, having two blanks and a few top-scoring letters would give you some pretty impressive scoring possibilities?

Bman

Guru
Not really (IME). Ok, it might give you more options to use the high scoring letters, but unless you place all 7 tiles at the same time to get a 50point bonus, or use the blanks to place a high scoring letter on a bonus square, your score is the same with or without the blanks.

Also, if you are left with a blank tile when your opponant wins, its a -25point score for each blank you have left.

al78

Guru
Not really (IME). Ok, it might give you more options to use the high scoring letters, but unless you place all 7 tiles at the same time to get a 50point bonus, or use the blanks to place a high scoring letter on a bonus square, your score is the same with or without the blanks.

Also, if you are left with a blank tile when your opponant wins, its a -25point score for each blank you have left.

Having the two blanks gives you far more options to put a seven or eight letter word down and get the 50 point bonus.

I've never heard of the -25 point rule, when did that come in?

Noodley

We are speaking about the game where the object is to make as many rude words of less than 5 letters aren't we?

Bman

Guru
Having the two blanks gives you far more options to put a seven or eight letter word down and get the 50 point bonus.

I've never heard of the -25 point rule, when did that come in?

I should have said, I have no idea about competition rules. Ive just played Scrabble socialy. However, Im pretty sure that rule applies on the several Scrabble games I have on the PC. I cant find anything to back that up from google, so maybe I'm wrong?

Anyway, I'm crap at Scrabble! My Wife always beats me :sad:

mikelanders29

I have found a dozen things saying scrabble cheating is an offense and those players deserve what they are doing in the competition. We want safe and clean scrabble tournament which gives opportunity to new players.
scrabble help

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm feeling a bit too ill to go and dig out my old Travel Scrabble set but I remember noting some of my high scores and I think they were high-500s in 2-player games. I haven't played for about 7 years and quite fancy a game now.

Top Bottom