check list help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mark1974

hi
had new bike couple of weeks now have cycled over 100 mile in this time {feel free to congratulate lol}
so my question is
What checks should i do ?
thanks
Mark

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Kick the tyres as you grunt in a manly way. ;)

I dont really check anything unless something feels odd, probably not good advice though!

You could check none of the spokes are loose, the wheel spins straight and freely, that your brakes blocks are aligned well, theres nothing stuck in your tyres and maybe clean some stuff. :smile:

sidevalve

Über Member
Pretty much as above really, but you could try wobbling the wheels side to side and the steering head and BB to check the bearings are OK.

festival

Über Member
Depends where you bought it from and how well the bike was put together and prepared for you.
Apart from the basics such as nuts and bolts tightened properly and brakes and gears adjusted correctly, are you getting the best out of the bike by having your position checked and fine tuned before you started to use it?
If the bike left the shop in A1 condition you probably need only check tyre pressure, lean on the major parts such as bars,brake levers etc to ensure they don't move and a quick visual check at this stage.
After another 4 or 5 weeks it would be time to take advantage of the free check over that all good bike shops offer. They did offer didn't they?

rollinstok

Steering and brakes are all important so check all bolts are tight and there is no play in headset ( pick front end up and give it a shake )
Well done on the mileage
Love the badge... YNWA

OP
OP
mark1974

mark1974

Depends where you bought it from and how well the bike was put together and prepared for you.
Apart from the basics such as nuts and bolts tightened properly and brakes and gears adjusted correctly, are you getting the best out of the bike by having your position checked and fine tuned before you started to use it?
If the bike left the shop in A1 condition you probably need only check tyre pressure, lean on the major parts such as bars,brake levers etc to ensure they don't move and a quick visual check at this stage.
After another 4 or 5 weeks it would be time to take advantage of the free check over that all good bike shops offer. They did offer didn't they?

i got it on c2w scheme so i will make sure everything is ok but we have a great little bike shop in our village sure they will have some sort of service scheme once i have done few hundred miles
cheers for replys guys !!!

ynwa

Sandra6

Veteran
Did the shop you bought it from not offer a free first service?Most places now suggest you pop back in after about 6 weeks to get everything checked over - mostly it's gears and breaks that need adjusting. Worth going in and asking them.

Top Bottom