Check my troubleshooting logic!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Evilcat

Hi all,

I've had a clicking noise from the drivetrain on my Spesh Roubaix that I first noticed a few months ago, and that has got progressively worse over the past few weeks. The click happens most pedal revolutions when putting on the power whether or not I am seated; it does not happen when freewheeling apart from when I have just stopped pedaling and am pressing down on one of the pedals (e.g. while cornering).

So far I have:

(1) Cleaned and lubed everything, including cleats
(2) Check for obvious things like cable ends touching my shoes
(3) Replaced the cassette and chain (needed to do this anyway)
(4) Checked that the jockey wheel was not hitting the cogs
(5) Checked for dodgy spokes and ensured the magnet isn't hitting my computer sensor
(6) Serviced the pedals and reinstalled
(7) Removed the cranks and lubed/reinstalled the chainring bolts
(8) Checked the chain rings for signs of wear

I'm left with pointing the finger at the BB which seems to run rough on the drive side bearing. My assumption is that new BB bearing is required (the non-drive side is smooth as silk). The BB bearings are 2.5 years old and the bike is used all year round for commuting, so hopefully my hypothesis is reasonable. However, if anyone has any other ideas I'd be very grateful!

Thanks,

EC

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
It may sound unlikely but I did once get flummoxed by a click and as a last resort, cleaned and regreased the seat post and it worked. Some grit had managed to get in and the graunch was transmitting the sound down to the BB.

OP
OP
Evilcat

Evilcat

Yeah, I'll do the seat post tomorrow, but then again I do get the noise out of the saddle....

Thanks,

EC

sidevalve

Über Member
If youv'e got another pair of pedals try fitting them as an experiment but I agree the BB may be the problem.

OP
OP
Evilcat

Evilcat

Thanks all -- as one of the bearing's is graunchy I'll replace it at the weekend. Wouldn't hurt to dis/re-assemble the seat post as well -- and if still an issue then I'll swap out the pedals. Boy this is annoying!

EC

steve52

I'm back! Yippeee
my bet is on pedal bearings, try another set

OP
OP
Evilcat

Evilcat

Just to finish this off after a brief spell not riding, turned out the rear wheel was slightly out of true and that plus the carbon seatstays flexing under load caused the Garmin cadence/speed sensor to hit the spoke magnet. On the downside I did spend on new BB bearings, but on the plus side it did cause me to service the bike properly, true a wheel and it really did need a replacement bearing, chain and cassette. And now I have a bike that rides like a dream... at least that's how I am rationalising it. :smile:

EC

Top Bottom