Check your chain!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I have a fairly new KMC chain that some of the rollers have rusted to buggery on where as others are fine. It is not even slightly stretched but it is going to go back to CRC this weekend. It is a crap chain so will stick to Shimano in the future.
That's a bit strong! Chain rusted in some parts but not in others is quite typical of a bike that is put away wet. I tend to find my commuter develops stiff or rusty links where the chain has been wrapped around the cassette and jockey wheels when I treat it like this. Nothing a bit of oil and some riding doesn't fix.

The original Shimano chain on my commuter stretched like hell then did this after only 400 miles while all replacements have lasted between 1-2k (KMC seem to be the best).
I massively over oiled it because I couldn't work out what the clicking noise was during my dark winter commutes. I completed at least 1.5 20 mile commutes with the chain in this condition :eek:
brokenchain.jpg

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
:eek: :eek:

I bought a KMC chain in the summer but didn't use it till the winter. Un boxed it to find a missing pin, put onein in the knknowledge that it'd only hold for a few hundred miles and carried quick links, sure enough it failed. I can't remember who I bought it from though!

A few years ago I had one fail like the OP but I suspect that was after a fall on ice and it held well until I was home and replaced it.

A while ago, I broke the chain on my Decathlon MTB. Trying to re-start on a hill in too high a gear, I stomped hard on a pedal and the chain broke. It was probably about 3 years old by then, and had been regularly oiled, but not properly cleaned or inspected.

I fitted a new chain, but on close examination several of the plates in various links of the old chain were cracking. So it was only a matter of time before one or other failed under stress.

For your own peace of mind, and maybe to save a long walk home, take a close look at your chain!

Crankarm

Guru
That's a bit strong! Chain rusted in some parts but not in others is quite typical of a bike that is put away wet. I tend to find my commuter develops stiff or rusty links where the chain has been wrapped around the cassette and jockey wheels when I treat it like this. Nothing a bit of oil and some riding doesn't fix.

The original Shimano chain on my commuter stretched like hell then did this after only 400 miles while all replacements have lasted between 1-2k (KMC seem to be the best).
I massively over oiled it because I couldn't work out what the clicking noise was during my dark winter commutes. I completed at least 1.5 20 mile commutes with the chain in this condition :eek:
brokenchain.jpg

It is a crap chain! My bike chains never get a chance to rust as they are never still for that long as I ride everyday 33 miles.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
It is a crap chain! My bike chains never get a chance to rust as they are never still for that long as I ride everyday 33 miles.
Each way? ;) :hello:

brokenchain.jpg

that looks close to an undercarriage cracking moment.

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Update: I received an email this morning from KMC asking me to post the chain (via their Freepost) to the research centre in Holland for them to check over.

Top Bottom