Check your quick releases!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cubist

Still wavin'
I always put the lever into the angle between chainstay and seat stay. I've only ever had a QR come loose once, and that was at Llandegla. If anyone knows the big berms switchback bit on the red route about halfway round which starts with a a sharp left turn off a downhill stretch...? I got the bottom of that thinking the rear felt odd, whe a rider behind me pointed out the rear QR was undone. Vertical dropouts have their uses! I must say I much prefer threaded through-axles. The 142x12 Maxle on the Ibis locks up nice and solid, and both bikes have 15 mm axles on the front one, Syntace and the other RS Maxle.

RebornBumbler

I have both mine pointing rearwards on the basis that if anything can snag or catch, it will.
Minimising the possibility of (for example) a branch or piece of fence wire also opening the QR is a bonus.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Had a near miss with one on Sunday. Saw it in the leaves at the side of the road but thought it was dead. Alive or not, it jumped out in front of me as I passed. I may have squawked. A lot. Now I know my reaction was justified!
I was descending the Haworth Old Road at speed once when a baby rabbit leapt out of the verge and proceeded to run alongside me. It is a pretty severe descent so I could not slow down quickly ...

shackleton-knoll-from-haworth-old-road.jpg

I tried to scare it away but it continued to track me. The daft creature ran between my wheels twice before finally going back to the verge! :eek:

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I was descending the Haworth Old Road at speed once when a baby rabbit leapt out of the verge and proceeded to run alongside me. It is a pretty severe descent so I could not slow down quickly ...

shackleton-knoll-from-haworth-old-road.jpg

I tried to scare it away but it continued to track me. The daft creature ran between my wheels twice before finally going back to the verge! :eek:

On a ride with my cycling group a while back, a rabbit ran right in front of my front wheel then back again and did the same to someone else behind me. Lots of swears were said!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I prefer allen key skewers but then I always carry a toolset for the bike I'm on.

ayceejay

Guru
IF your wheels are seated correctly and your METAL skewers are tightened correctly there is no way they will come loose.If they are tightened and become seated during a ride then it is possible.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I have both mine pointing rearwards on the basis that if anything can snag or catch, it will.
Minimising the possibility of (for example) a branch or piece of fence wire also opening the QR is a bonus.
Rearward facing, at least on the back wheel, is a no-no in road racing or group riding.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have been spinning the back wheel of the MTB on the stand. It really is ridiculous that I didn't spot that tight QR sooner! The wheel spins so well now, whereas before I was lucky to get it to spin 2 or 3 complete revs.

Top Bottom