Checking steel frame integrity after a crash

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Mrs W was involved in a crash on her old steel tourer. The front forks and front wheel are bent out of shape, but the handlebars still turn cleanly, and the back half of the bike seems to run smoothly.

I can't see any obvious frame damage, but I know I don't exactly have an expert eye. Is there an easy way to tell whether there is enough damage to the frame that we should send it straight to a skip, or whether it's save to see if someone wants to take the trouble to build the frame up into a bike again?

(She's fine now that her cracked rib has healed - the crash happened months ago, and she got an insurance payout swiftly.)

the snail

Guru
You can look for cracks in the paintwork, and feel for ripples in the tubing - sounds like the headtube area would be the most likely area to be bent. You could run a string from rear dropouts around the steering head and measure from the seat tube to see how straight it is - bearing in mind it may not have been totally straight from new. Steel is much better than alu and carbon at withstanding damage though, and tourers are generally much more robust than lightweight bikes. If it is bent it could be straightened, probably best to get expert advice from a framebuilder though.
Good to hear Mrs. W has retained her frame integrity and got her money.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Look at the paint work on the underside of the top tube and the down tube - just where they meet the head tube. Any damage will be visible here, especially as a period of time has elapsed to allow any rust to develop under the paint.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
A well built steel frame won't break in a crash - it will just bend. Provided that any bend isn't bad enough to make the handling dangerous, you can carry on riding it.
If any bend is minor enough that there isn't any detectable ripple below the down or top tubes, a frame builder can check for bends and bend it back into alignment. Argos (Bristol) quote £30(£40) for Retrack frame (and forks).
A rippled tube would probably need replacement, and may cost more than the value of the frame.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
The area at the bottom of the downtube where it meets the headtube is the first place to look after an impact severe enough to total the forks. Creases or cracks in the tube wall mean the frame is scrap unless it has great monetary or sentimental value. The rest of the frame is unlikely to have suffered any damage unless the tubes have taken a direct impact against something, otherwise they are fairly well protected by the components which touch base first. A quick visual check will soon tell you whether there is anything to worry about, other than that if the bike runs straight it should be ok.

OP
OP
srw

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Thanks to all - the frame has neither monetary nor sentimental value (it's a 1980s ladies' frame) and will probably be advertised as a giveaway on here if it's not buggered. I'll take a look for creasing and cracking next time I'm at home in the light.

Top Bottom