Cheeky b******!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafflycat

I loathe pedal reflectors - every pair of platform pedals I've had they've worked loose, broken, fallen off. Never needed anyone to steal them to have them go missing.

snorri

Legendary Member
The last time I bought pedal reflectors the guy in the shop had some difficulty in finding the securing nuts and washers. He told me "Most people just replace the whole pedal":ohmy::ohmy:
Silly me.:ohmy:

grhm

Veteran
downfader said:
... and people have now been trying to reserve their post by leaving their locks chained up over night.

We have people do that here too. Are you sure they're trying to reserve the place in the bike stand?

Some of the locks left chained to the stands here are owned by people with road bikes that don't want to carry the lock. At least one has commented to me that I could easily buy another lock to use at home and "save carrying that great big weight around".

None seem to be to precious about which slot in the shed they get. But that said the rack is only full during the summer and there are several other racks around the building.

Might be someone getting pissy about their spot - but I'd prefer to believe they're either avoiding scuffing their paintwork or weight-weenies.

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
grhm said:
We have people do that here too. Are you sure they're trying to reserve the place in the bike stand?

Some of the locks left chained to the stands here are owned by people with road bikes that don't want to carry the lock. At least one has commented to me that I could easily buy another lock to use at home and "save carrying that great big weight around".

None seem to be to precious about which slot in the shed they get. But that said the rack is only full during the summer and there are several other racks around the building.

Might be someone getting pissy about their spot - but I'd prefer to believe they're either avoiding scuffing their paintwork or weight-weenies.

Partly I agree with you, but having listened to some of the things the students come out with it puts a different slant on it. I have a nice bike, always have done imo, still prefer to carry the lock with me.

Knowing the local area (and having to scare off little chavs in the past) kids will climb into the cage through the gap at the top if they think they can get away with it. We've had several bikes nicked there, mostly from outside but one or two from the cages.

One of the students committed the ultimate mistake last summer - they locked their front wheel to the left part of the door frame and the rear wheel to the right part of the door frame. Completely blocked off the entrance... I think a fair few people had let the tyres down and given it a good kick as it looked a state. ;) Such vitriol ;)

Joseph

downfader said:
Partly I agree with you, but having listened to some of the things the students come out with it puts a different slant on it. I have a nice bike, always have done imo, still prefer to carry the lock with me.

Have to say, I quite often leave my lock at work, locked to wherever my bike last was (sometimes a cycle stand, sometimes a tree when the cycle stands were full :biggrin: )

Partly just easier (bit of faff getting into holder), and partly because it's sheer joy riding the bike on the days I have neither lock nor laptop on it and it's lovely and light ;)

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Joseph said:
Have to say, I quite often leave my lock at work, locked to wherever my bike last was (sometimes a cycle stand, sometimes a tree when the cycle stands were full ;) )

Partly just easier (bit of faff getting into holder), and partly because it's sheer joy riding the bike on the days I have neither lock nor laptop on it and it's lovely and light ;)

I dont mind the weight. :biggrin: I did when it was on my back but I've split it into three now (chain in the saddlebag, tools in the toptube bag and a rucksack for me uniform/anything else)

Makes you feel like you're putting some effort in. Might be changing this soon though if I go back to pannier rack etc.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I leave my 10lb Gold standard chain at work, - loads of others do - mots have the heavy locks left, but I carry a heavy D with me and an Abus Bordo (not too heavy) - still my rucksack weighs a tonne - Ultra Gravity training it's called ;)

Top Bottom