Cheeky break

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

8mph

Veteran
With forecasts predicting high pressure I've decided to take a short trip. The ferry has just pulled away from Poole harbour and should be arriving in Cherbourg at 12.45. Plans are a little sketchy. I was going to head for Amsterdam but wind directions are changing so I'm planning to head south to begin with and play it by ear depending on the weather news.
IMG-20181116-071545.jpg

rugby bloke

Veteran
Have a great adventure.

MikeG

Guru
Sounds fun. Are you camping? How far are you planning on going? La Rochelle is 290 miles, and back via Tours would give you a nice little circuit.

Last minute and playing it by ear tours are the best ones!!

Enjoy!

OP
OP
8mph

8mph

Veteran
I got away from Cherbourg at around 4 which was a little hectic on a Friday afternoon. Took a wriggly line South West and pitched up in the dunes at St Georges de la Rivier.
Kept mostly to the coast on quiet roads. Past through Avranches where there were a lot of road blocks and police, apparently a demonstration against taxes. Pitched up in some woods an hour later.
At this point my Maps.me app stopped working and with nowhere open to buy a map I used a compass and took a rather snaking route south. All in all a lovely day on pleasant roads. I disturbed a boar which flung itself into a ditch with a splash and stopped to take a photo of what looked like a beaver. As it slunk away I saw its rat tail. It was 3 times bigger than any rat I've seen.
Through St Etienne en Cogles, Vendel,Chatauxbourg, all lovely riding. Navigating around Rennes took a long time and it was getting cold. I pitch up 35 km from Rennes next to a bridge which crosses the Loire-Atlantique.
Woke up and it's ice cold. I have to force myself to get up and make coffee. The tent is to small to comfortably change into thermals but my top half is warm! I'm in Chatauxbriand and have purchased a Sim card. Going to download maps and get breakfast!

Attachments

• IMG_20181117_084428.jpg
    IMG_20181117_084428.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20181118_082435.jpg
    IMG_20181118_082435.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20181119_082536.jpg
    IMG_20181119_082536.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 36
OP
OP
8mph

8mph

Veteran
Finding a quiet road into Nantes took up a considerable portion of the afternoon, traffic was heavy. All of a sudden I found myself on the Loire cycle path. Nantes was very pretty in the dark but after a couple of hours hanging around at 4C I had make a move.
I cycled till midnight heading East up the Loire which has made navigation easy. Currently headed for Angers. The path is well signed and pretty flat which is handy as I'm using a bottle dynamo to charge my power pack and phone.

Attachments

• IMG_20181119_221304.jpg
    IMG_20181119_221304.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 36
OP
OP
8mph

8mph

Veteran
Still cycling the Loire. Today I have been joined by a chap who is touring on a Ribble and keeping up with him has been a strain!
It's hard to cover more than 60 miles a day in this cold weather. 15 miles outside of Tours. Tomorrow I'm planning to ride in and buy a balaclava. Brrrrr!

Attachments

• IMG_20181121_104349.jpg
    IMG_20181121_104349.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 32
Top Bottom