Cheeky Favour Request

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What about Google Maps on your phone? My cycling pal used it to ride from Lancashire to Cornwall and back for a wedding. In cycle mode it took him along some super routes. Just turn off the screen and plug in an earphone.

I've just asked mine for a route from my office here to the Arc de Triomphe and it calculated in a couple of seconds. Perfect.
I wouldn't use google to plot the route, it's cycle routing is eccentric. For a ride like this you carefully plan to route ahead of time, you don't just except what google comes up with on the day.

(every time I've used google cycling routes, I've regretted it, so I haven't used it for a while).

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
[QUOTE 4205326, member: 45"]You can alter have to fix the route yourself.[/QUOTE]
FTFY

[QUOTE 4205326, member: 45"]You can alter the route yourself.[/QUOTE]
Yes, but you have to know the roads well enough to alter it, and you have to do it on your phone. Useful in an emergency, but doesn't seem to good approach to a carefully planned epic journey for charity where you have had time and leisure to pick the best route.

[QUOTE 4205328, member: 45"]Last year it would let you read downloaded maps, but you needed a data link for navigation. That may have changed, because they keep changing it.[/QUOTE]

Hmm, I wonder how we could find out? Oh yeah...
Screenshot_2016-03-22-17-07-43 copy.png

@cycle2run Whatever you use, make sure you get it at least a few days before you are planning to leave. All GPS devices have a learning curve, and you will need to practice. I learnt to use OSMand by creating a GPX of my daily commute, and following the next few days. Learnt all it's eccentricities that way.

User269

Hi All

Been posting on here and using this forum for help and advice as next week i attempt to ride from Warwickshire to Paris in memory of my father and for charity thenrun paris marathon.

I have been let down from a sponsor and in need of a saviour. Would anyone be able to hire or lend a Garmin type cycling navigation unit. I cant afford to buy one and would happily leave a deposit or pay a fee and give all my personal and world address and contact details out.

If anyone could help, I will be grateful forever :smile:

Thanks

Thierry

As you'll need to learn how to use a navigation device, quite apart from also plotting your chosen route and uploading it, surely it would be easier to use maps? Have you used a cycle navigation device and associated software before? It's a bit of a learning curve, and I doubt you'll make much sense out of it within the next week. As @jefmcg said.

OP
OP
C

cycle2run

Regular
Will look into the apps just worryabout phon battery

If anyone hears of anyone with a gps device please push them forward! right, back to finishing my build!

vickster

Legendary Member
You can get back up batteries that you can charge up overnight. A garmin doesn't have a finite life either especially if following maps on screen (maybe 6 hours for my 800)

User269

Will look into the apps just worryabout phon battery

If anyone hears of anyone with a gps device please push them forward..............

Which gps device will suit your purpose? Which one(s) are you proficient with?
Why are you ignoring the messages that you won't be able to use it effectively without some experience and learning?
What charity are you supporting, how much have you raised or been promised so far? Do you have a link for your fundraising? Why not tell us what it is?
Surely you're more interested in raising funds for your charity than borrowing a gps that you dont' know how to use?

Which gps device will suit your purpose? Which one(s) are you proficient with?
Why are you ignoring the messages that you won't be able to use it effectively without some experience and learning?
What charity are you supporting, how much have you raised or been promised so far? Do you have a link for your fundraising? Why not tell us what it is?
Surely you're more interested in raising funds for your charity than borrowing a gps that you dont' know how to use?
I am doing my own organized charity challenge in my fathers memory, I am cycling to paris in April then running the Paris marathon (For Mind mental health charity as he took hs own life). New to both types of sport!! I have a feq questions, hoping this area of the forum is OK if not let me know and I will move. I currently have a Carrera TDF which I bought just to get my training going. I plan on upgrading in March before the event, which is where my first question lies:

User269

Yes,saw that.
No links to fundraising for MIND, or any interest expressed in any of us sponsoring.
But lots of interest in bike building questions and borrowing, pointlessly, a gps.
We need to be sponsoring the charity ride for MIND, not lending a gps.

OP
OP
C

cycle2run

Regular
Whiskeywheels

Sorry, been stressed and not replied to everything.

I didnt advertise for two reasons, a lot of forums have certain rules on links etc and also because so many people do bike rides I was worried you guys get inundated with charity requests.

My site is cycle2run.co.uk which tells you all about my challenge and a just giving link. Any sponsorship is of course greatly appreciated! :smile:

Thanks

Reactions: mjr

User269

Whiskeywheels

Sorry, been stressed and not replied to everything.

I didnt advertise for two reasons, a lot of forums have certain rules on links etc and also because so many people do bike rides I was worried you guys get inundated with charity requests.

My site is cycle2run.co.uk which tells you all about my challenge and a just giving link. Any sponsorship is of course greatly appreciated! :smile:

Thanks
Excellent, thanks very much. Now we can get some sponsorship from here.

Top Bottom