Cherry cake to cycling.......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lostmiles

Yesterday I was quite happily talking to myself and Delia in the kitchen. Delia wasn't there of course but it is what we oldies tend to do now and then. All went well until I took my cherry cake out of the oven and let it cool.
Oh dear! Disaster!
Despite following Delia's advice, to the letter, I found that my cherries had sunk! Now that is not good.
Sunken cherries in the kitchen.
The cake was perfectly good and if I say so myself, well cooked and quite tasty. But my cherries were not in the right place. There were plenty of them but all near the bottom of my newly baked cherry cake.
There was only one thing to do after tidying up the kitchen and that was get online and sort out the problem of "the sinking cherries". To be honest I found Delia not to be very helpful. In fact online I found the same advice as in the book. "Save a third and put them on the top and poke them in with your finger. They will not sink."
Delia. They still sank! But still a very nice cake.
You will understand that being of that older generation all this typing and searching took me quite a while, in fact almost an eternity and my right index finger needed a plaster by the end of it. Off I went to find the first aid kit. After two circuits of the house I found the computer again but had no idea what I was supposed to be doing.
Someone on the radio mentioned bicycles as part of a report, I think. I tried to put two and two together and came up with about nine. (close for me). Some time later I was still sat at the computer and discovered that other people were as confused as me but they weren't seeking advice about "sunken cherries". They were asking about finding the bottom part of France from Calais. Now I knew I was on to like minded people when I started reading things like that. As I read on it became clear they weren't just interested in just finding out where that bottom bit of France close to the Med was; they wanted to go there.
The clincher for me was that they were not wanting to get there by plane. Nor train. Not even by car.
....they wanted to go by bike! Now its not like going and fetching the Sunday papers it?

Did the bottom bit of France sink whilst Europe was being baked? I must go and find out.........
John.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Hi john and welcome.

That has to be about the longest introduction post I've ever read. Congratulations.

Did you find the sunken bit of France, or the cherries...in the end?

OP
OP
Lostmiles

Lostmiles

Yesterday I was quite happily talking to myself and Delia in the kitchen. Delia wasn't there of course but it is what we oldies tend to do now and then. All went well until I took my cherry cake out of the oven and let it cool.
Oh dear! Disaster!
Despite following Delia's advice, to the letter, I found that my cherries had sunk! Now that is not good.
Sunken cherries in the kitchen.
The cake was perfectly good and if I say so myself, well cooked and quite tasty. But my cherries were not in the right place. There were plenty of them but all near the bottom of my newly baked cherry cake.
There was only one thing to do after tidying up the kitchen and that was get online and sort out the problem of "the sinking cherries". To be honest I found Delia not to be very helpful. In fact online I found the same advice as in the book. "Save a third and put them on the top and poke them in with your finger. They will not sink."
Delia. They still sank! But still a very nice cake.
You will understand that being of that older generation all this typing and searching took me quite a while, in fact almost an eternity and my right index finger needed a plaster by the end of it. Off I went to find the first aid kit. After two circuits of the house I found the computer again but had no idea what I was supposed to be doing.
Someone on the radio mentioned bicycles as part of a report, I think. I tried to put two and two together and came up with about nine. (close for me). Some time later I was still sat at the computer and discovered that other people were as confused as me but they weren't seeking advice about "sunken cherries". They were asking about finding the bottom part of France from Calais. Now I knew I was on to like minded people when I started reading things like that. As I read on it became clear they weren't just interested in just finding out where that bottom bit of France close to the Med was; they wanted to go there.
The clincher for me was that they were not wanting to get there by plane. Nor train. Not even by car.
....they wanted to go by bike! Now its not like going and fetching the Sunday papers it?

Did the bottom bit of France sink whilst Europe was being baked? I must go and find out.........
John.
Hi john and welcome.

That has to be about the longest introduction post I've ever read. Congratulations.

Did you find the sunken bit of France, or the cherries...in the end?
Greetings and thank you.
I found all the cherries whilst eating the cake; not all on my own I might add.
But I am intent on sorting out the bottom bit of "sunken" France from Calais.

raleighnut

Legendary Member

Top Bottom