Cheshire Cyclists: Route Advice Request

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hip Priest

Veteran
Hello all. I'll be back in my hometown of Warrington next week, and I'm taking my bike! I've never ridden in Cheshire, but I was looking to do a route of 40-60 miles. Anyone got any routes or suggestions?

PS - I've been told to try Mow Cop, but I've just looked it up on streetview and my body started hurting immediately.

Dave7

Legendary Member
A nice route I do is from Winwick>Croft>Risley>Culcheth>Glazebrook>Warburton Bridge>Dunham Massey>Lymn.....then iether re-trace or back via Latchford.
No real hills, pleasant, not too much traffic and (depending on how much you meandor) you can clock up 30/40 miles. You can add to it by going Culchetch>Lowton>then back to Glazebrook.

What sort of bike do you have? I am assuming it's a road type ?

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
Warrington to Mow Cop, round trip of about 80 miles. Fairly steep climb up Mow Cop
Try Warrington to the Cat and Fiddle. Do not have road numbers to mind but, from memory, take A50 to Mere Corner and Knutsford. Then A537 Chelford Road to Macclesfield and then follow the Buxton road, may be the A537. Fairly nice flattish road from Knutsford to Macc. From memory, first mile or so of the Buxton road is steepish to the left hand bend, nice gentle climb to a pub called 'The Setter Dog' which may not be there anymore but possibly a visitor centre opposite will still be there with a cafe, then a nice climb to The Cat and Fiddle. Lovely ride down back into Macc and fairly fast road back to Knutsford.

OP
OP
Hip Priest

Hip Priest

Veteran
Warrington to Mow Cop, round trip of about 80 miles. Fairly steep climb up Mow Cop
Try Warrington to the Cat and Fiddle. Do not have road numbers to mind but, from memory, take A50 to Mere Corner and Knutsford. Then A537 Chelford Road to Macclesfield and then follow the Buxton road, may be the A537. Fairly nice flattish road from Knutsford to Macc. From memory, first mile or so of the Buxton road is steepish to the left hand bend, nice gentle climb to a pub called 'The Setter Dog' which may not be there anymore but possibly a visitor centre opposite will still be there with a cafe, then a nice climb to The Cat and Fiddle. Lovely ride down back into Macc and fairly fast road back to Knutsford.

Cheers. Will definitely have a look at that. Didn't realise Mow Cop was that far away.

400bhp

Guru
A nice route I do is from Winwick>Croft>Risley>Culcheth>Glazebrook>Warburton Bridge>Dunham Massey>Lymn.....then iether re-trace or back via Latchford.
No real hills, pleasant, not too much traffic and (depending on how much you meandor) you can clock up 30/40 miles. You can add to it by going Culchetch>Lowton>then back to Glazebrook.

What sort of bike do you have? I am assuming it's a road type ?

Avoid the bit in bold - it's crap. Just head pretty much anywhere south of Lymm, you've got Tatton Park, Delamere (cafe in Delamere or the train station), a few hills at the back of Delamere. Avoid Northwich and you'll be fine. There's a few NCN's in thet part of the world that meander and are nice.

Hello all. I'll be back in my hometown of Warrington next week, and I'm taking my bike! I've never ridden in Cheshire, but I was looking to do a route of 40-60 miles. Anyone got any routes or suggestions?

PS - I've been told to try Mow Cop, but I've just looked it up on streetview and my body started hurting immediately.

Should you find yourself on Norley Road around the Cuddington area, (Delamere forest area) and want a cuppa, let me know I am usually in, except Thursday am and quite happy to oblige.

Also not sure why 400bhp said avoid Northwich, generally not had any issues cycling around or through Northwich and the climbs out are easy compared to Norley road running up to Frodsham... frequently cycle around this area given that I live here now...

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Tatton Park and Jodrell Bank for a good cafe stop. It is also easy to spot if you get lost on the lanes. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Hip Priest

Hip Priest

Veteran
Cheers for all the advice (and the very kind offer of a cuppa!). My trip back to Warrington has been postponed, but I'll definitely use this advice in a couple of weeks when I'm back. I know Northwich quite well. Used to drink in the Penny Black!

400bhp

Guru
Should you find yourself on Norley Road around the Cuddington area, (Delamere forest area) and want a cuppa, let me know I am usually in, except Thursday am and quite happy to oblige.

Also not sure why 400bhp said avoid Northwich, generally not had any issues cycling around or through Northwich and the climbs out are easy compared to Norley road running up to Frodsham... frequently cycle around this area given that I live here now...

All relative mate - in a relatively traffic free B/C road county there's no need to venture into Northwich. Going through Marbury (note for Hip Priest - Marbury is an off road route suitable for road bikes) is nice though.

billy1561

BB wrecker
A decent ride i use from Warrington is head towards daresbury then Frodsham and up into Delamere and straight through to oulton park. Back through budworth and antrobus and stretton. You know your way back from there i assume. I have the exact route on gamin if you want it. 44 miles and 500 mtr of climb. Usually around 3 hours ish.

Cyclist33

All relative mate - in a relatively traffic free B/C road county there's no need to venture into Northwich. Going through Marbury (note for Hip Priest - Marbury is an off road route suitable for road bikes) is nice though.

Although there is more to road riding than purely avoiding traffic. Some parts of Northwich have an industrial drama to them. Plus I thought you were a bit harsh about Dave7's route.

billy1561

BB wrecker

I'm often in that area on my bike. A water refill would be very useful if the kettle is broke . Apologies for no cheeky smile icon I'm on my mobile.

Cyclist33

A decent ride i use from Warrington is head towards daresbury then Frodsham and up into Delamere and straight through to oulton park. Back through budworth and antrobus and stretton. You know your way back from there i assume. I have the exact route on gamin if you want it. 44 miles and 500 mtr of climb. Usually around 3 hours ish.

One thing I don't understand is I rode from Frodsham station up to Manley Way and over to Delamere Forest, and rode up Old Pale Heights, and then on the road to Chester, and the mapping system says I only climbed 150 metres in total?

Top Bottom