Cheshire ride #2, Sat, 31st August, 2019 (100+ miles from Walkden, 120+ kms from Dunham)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GuyBoden

Guru
Excellent Cheshire ride yesterday, yes there was 10mins of torrential rain, but that didn't subtract from a very enjoyable ride. Thanks to the great company of Colin, Brian and Steve there was plenty of good banter and a nice steady pace.

Special thanks to Colin for organising yet another fabulous ride, what would we do without him.

My only concern of the day was when my breakfast order at the cafe was forgotten, I was getting increasingly worried and very hungry. A very stressful time indeed.

Thanks for the great ride everyone.

Excellent Cheshire ride yesterday, yes there was 10mins of torrential rain, but that didn't subtract from a very enjoyable ride. Thanks to the great company of Colin, Brian and Steve there was plenty of good banter and a nice steady pace.

Special thanks to Colin for organising yet another fabulous ride, what would we do without him.

My only concern of the day was when my breakfast order at the cafe was forgotten, I was getting increasingly worried and very hungry. A very stressful time indeed.

Thanks for the great ride everyone.
I totally agree,Guy. Great ride and great company. Colin's routes are legendary for their quality and scenic splendour. So much so, that I have done 3 of his forum rides twice in the last few months.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It was nice to see @Vantage again for the start of the ride. I tried to avoid burning out what was left of his tyres by keeping an eye on the speed this time, but it did keep creeping up. @skudupnorth was making his return to forum riding after a break for what sounded like some really fun medical procedures. It was good to see him again and he enjoyed his chance to do this route, having missed the July ride because he was on emergency childcare duties that day.

We followed a variation on our intended outward route at skud's suggestion. It spent longer on the canal towpath and A57 cyclepath than ours did. We showed him the other route on the return leg and he said that he wasn't even aware of the cyclepaths we took so he may well use them in the future. (We all agreed though that some of those sheltered paths might be a bit scary to ride alone (especially in the dark) because of the risk of being ambushed by a gang of lurking ne'er-do-wells.)

@GuyBoden is definitely an optimist ... I would have described the rain as lasting one and a half hours, including some torrential outbursts! I was glad that I had borrowed the Crudguards from my mountain bike.

The rain storm happened early enough that we were drying out by the time we got to the marina cafe. The seats outside were still wet but conditions were by then bright enough that we didn't want to eat inside so we just wiped the surfaces down. The food was nice and good value (£5.80 for a large all-day veggie breakfast, a mug of tea, and a can of Coke). Guy's meal was delayed (the order note had fallen unnoticed to the floor) so he eventually went inside and reminded them. We were given a free second pot of tea to drink while we waited, which also prompted some cake buying. The only downside was that we got plagued by more wasps than I have seen for the whole of the rest of the summer. Still, nobody actually got stung!

There was a blustery wind blowing all day which held us back a bit for the first 2/3 of the day, but was a welcome boost on the return leg.

We got quite a bit of sunshine for the last few hours. The day definitely had an end-of-summer feel though and it is getting darker noticeably earlier now. In fact, it was dark by the time we got onto the wooded Roe Green Loopline path back up to Walkden so I had to ride behind scud and Littgull to benefit from their front lights, mine being strictly a to-be-seen-by low power led flasher.

Brian and I didn't have long to wait on the train and the drunks on the journey didn't cause any trouble, though it was a bit distracting having a woman with a short skirt draped over her male partner opposite us and having her legs fondled for the duration!

I did 172 km (107 miles) in total for the day, my tenth qualifying ride for the Lunacy Challenge out of the thirteen required. Nickyboy's Scarborough ride next Saturday should be number eleven. I'll just have to squeeze two more in after that before the weather gets too cold, wet and windy for me.

Some photos should be posted below shortly, once the other riders have woken up! :laugh:

Last edited:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I didn't see who recommended it but I visited the Lavender Cafe (Dog cafe) just up the road from the oak tree. Had a nice couple cups of tea and some toast whilst sat on a nice comfy couch. Thanks!
Took my time going home and grabbed a couple bike in front of church pics on my travels. Got caught out in the rain. My shoes were still squelching when I got home. 43 miles in all and as usual, my diabetes made its presence known just as I reached the dog cafe.
Nice ride and pleasant company. My tyres weren't even hot. Thanks Colin :smile:
I think I might have cut up skud once or twice without realising. Sorry :blush:

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The only downside was that we got plagued by more wasps than I have seen for the whole of the rest of the summer.

I've seen more wasps than usual, although I believe late August is peak season.

Quite a few in my caravan, and at cafe stops in Masham in North Yorkshire, and at the last stop of my recent forum ride from the Humber Bridge.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Exciting news ... the creaking noises from my bike WERE due to the cassette lockring not being tight enough. I was able to tighten it significantly this afternoon without using stupidly excessive force on the wrench and a quick test ride up the nearest hill was done in near silence. When the mechanic fixed the problem I'd had on the Humber Bridge ride, he probably used the correct torque for locking a cassette in place, NOT a pile of spacers with only the one sprocket engaging with the splines on the hub.

As for the rubber hood grips moving about ... I don't think I had them properly locked in place. I have refitted them and hope that they won't slip again on my next ride. They are getting pretty knackered though so I will try to find cheap (or free) replacements. I am definitely not paying the £20+ a pair that I have seen them advertised for on eBay. Alternatively, I'll try rewrapping the bar tape and include the hoods.

I've seen more wasps than usual, although I believe late August is peak season.

Quite a few in my caravan, and at cafe stops in Masham in North Yorkshire, and at the last stop of my recent forum ride from the Humber Bridge.
There has definitely been a big reduction in wasp numbers over the years though.

As a toddler, I found a hole in the ground with lots of pretty black and yellow flies coming out of it so I thought I'd poke a stick into the hole (as kids do :whistle:)... A few seconds (and scores of wasp stings) later I had developed a phobia of wasps. Every summer I took cover at the first sight of a wasp and there were hundreds of sightings every day. In a modern summer up here, I typically see a wasp or two every few weeks.

Last edited:

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Massive thankyou Colin,the route was fantastic as was the company. Great to ride with Brian and Guy again and meet @Vantage for the first time,sorry it was a short meeting but your Spa was stunning.
It was my first big ride since having my operations and i was gutted i had to miss the original one earlier due to child commitments so i was over the moon when Colin decided to do another before the dark nights start coming in.
You don't need another write up on the ride so i will just post the photo's i took. It was just brilliant,loved every fixed gear moment !!
DSCN3985.JPG
DSCN3990.JPG
DSCN3993.JPG
DSCN4000.JPG
DSCN4001.JPG

Thankyou,it was better than we could have hoped for,after totalling the route mileage and adding my ride to Walkden, i managed 115 miles on the fixie
View attachment 483051
Terrific set of pics, Steve (@skudupnorth).
Sorry I forgot to post the ones I took when I posted earlier in the day.

Here they are below. I'm afraid my photographic skills are a long way short of a decent standard.

Looking forward to riding out with you all again.
Beeston Castle 1.jpg
Lunch Stop at Venetian Marina.jpg

Attachments

• Bikes Parked at Venetian Marina.jpg
    Bikes Parked at Venetian Marina.jpg
    330.1 KB · Views: 7
  • Venetian Marina.jpg
    Venetian Marina.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 8
  • Barge entering Venetian Marina.jpg
    Barge entering Venetian Marina.jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 8

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Terrific set of pics, Steve (@skudupnorth).
Sorry I forgot to post the ones I took when I posted earlier in the day.

Here they are below. I'm afraid my photographic skills are a long way short of a decent standard.

Looking forward to riding out with you all again. View attachment 483072 View attachment 483073
Thankyou Brian, lovely set of photos from yet another brilliant ride with you all. Cannot wait for the next one

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

dscn3985-jpg.jpg

Ah yes, the access to Walkden station.... Simply perfect for disabled people, elderly people, parents with young children in buggies, anyone carrying heavy shopping bags, or tired cyclists returning from long bike rides (coming down the stairs with bikes like that is fine; different story when knackered and going back up! :laugh:)

lunch-stop-at-venetian-marina-jpg.jpg

Aaargh - every year that goes by, the marina photos show me looking balder, greyer, and more like my elderly grumpy dad! :whistle: (I wasn't feeling grumpy but Brian took the picture a split-second before I adopted my standard photo smile.)

Top Bottom