Cheshire ride, Sat, 20th July, 2019 (170 km/106 miles from Walkden, 124 km/77 miles from Dunham)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GuyBoden

Guru
The Venetian Marina Cafe, which has been used many times on the Cheshire rides, has been closed and is unlikely to be opening in the near future.

I regularly stop at the cafe on my rides in the Tarporley/Nantwich area, the cafe was very late in reopening after the lockdown, then it was short of staff. Yesterday, I was told by the neighbouring shop that it was closed "indefinitely". I'll miss the cafe and their good value all day breakfast:cry:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The Venetian Marina Cafe, which has been used many times on the Cheshire rides, has been closed and is unlikely to be opening in the near future.

I regularly stop at the cafe on my rides in the Tarporley/Nantwich area, the cafe was very late in reopening after the lockdown, then it was short of staff. Yesterday, I was told by the neighbouring shop that it was closed "indefinitely". I'll miss the cafe and their good value all day breakfast:cry:

That's a shame.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm giving Dray's in Eaton a try next time I'm in the area. I'm betting that hot food isn't being served after 2pm, like many small cafes.

Opening hours
Wednesday - Saturday
10am-4pm

https://www.thedrayscoffeeshop.co.uk/menu

Dray's Coffee Shop in Eaton
That would work pretty well with a minor alteration to the route we did in this 2019 ride.

I'm happy enough with a sandwich or toast and a piece of cake, but it would be good to have the option of something more substantial.

I look forward to your cafe review! :okay:

PS Ask them about 6-10 cyclists turning up on a Saturday lunchtime.

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

I think I recall you tucking into one of the breakfasts.

Didn't you peel off for home a short time afterwards?

If so, that may give us an indication of what your main attraction of the ride was.

Seriously, the cafe was a very agreeable place to stop, traffic free, room for bikes, room to have a short wander about, and something to look at with all the marina activities.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Didn't you peel off for home a short time afterwards?

If so, that may give us an indication of what your main attraction of the ride was.
I think it was more a case of practically riding past where he lives!

Keeping marina theme you could always go to Tattenhall Marina cafe. Shame about Venetian as I did a 3 marina cafe 100 that I need to change now :angry:
Tattenhall Marina wouldn't take much rejigging of the route to get to. If Dray's coffee shop doesn't suit, then we could go there instead.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Looking forward to getting out with you all soon, missed our rides this past 18 months. Gutted about the Marina cafe, I cannot see it being closed permanently with all that boating traffic nearby, let’s hope it returns

Top Bottom