Chest pain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
GtiJunior had exactly the same, a fast fluttering heart beat at exactly the same place on the same ride. ECGs and tests showed nothing to worry about and he continued his life unchanged. Our cycling buddy is a physician and he showed GtiJ how to perform a carotid synapse massage, which settled his heart down straight away.

Drago

Legendary Member
Only reason I'm putting it on here is to see if anybody else has ever had this problem.
We can't say, because we don't yet know what, if anything, is medically wrong with you.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have a lot of ectopic beats when I get lung clots, but there are lots of reasons for getting them. Good luck getting it sorted.
Ditto.

I had them very badly (for hours or sometimes days at a time and severe enough to be scary) for more than a year after my clots. They gradually diminished but I can still cause them now (8 years on) by riding too hard without warming up, or by going to above about 95% of maximal effort.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
When i was back at 27 stone i had this which is one of the reasons id had enough of being the way i was. I didn't have pain but a sinking feeling and a pronounced slow down of beats could be felt but then a quick recovery. My heart was ok, but blood pressure when you're unfit and in my case very fat can rapidly fluctuate and can cause heart flutters or palpitations https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/heart-palpitations/

But please get this checked out by as a matter of urgency as there are a number of factors that could be at play...

Globalti

Legendary Member
I used to get palpitations a lot as a teenager, probably because I drank so much coffee. I don't now as an ageing teenager.

AuroraSaab

Veteran
Hi. I've only just seen this, so sorry for the late reply. I could write a book on skipped beats as I suffered with them massively after I had an operation about 15 years ago. At times I would get them constantly and for years I had them on and off for days at a time. They caused me huge anxiety and panic attacks (which can make them worse).

The good news is they are often benign, though obviously alarming. But as others have said the most important thing is to get them checked out asap. Heart arrhythmias are usually easily identifiable on ECG machines and once you've done the stress test they will know what's going on with you and how to proceed. A 24hr holter monitor would be helpful as it would record any that you were not aware of - most people will get a few during the day. Even in my case, where I was having thousands a day, if they are benign the most likely route will be to simply ignore them (not easy) or go on beta blockers.

Without sounding alarming, I am sure your gp will have mentioned that you need to be concerned if you start suffering from dizziness or blackouts, shortness of breath, chest pain. I've had a few trips to A and E when my heart has been racing and beating erratically. It's always calmed down on it's own but it's always better to be safe than sorry. Best wishes.

Edit: I would avoid caffeine and alcohol until your appointment as many people find these trigger palpitations. I only drink decaf now, though in my case it was as if my heart had got massively oversensitised and loads of things could set them off, including cold weather, hot baths, overeating, anxiety.

Last edited:
Top Bottom