Chester: Cyclist is dragged off his bike by knife-wielding thief who then steals it

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris S

Legendary Member
A few people in Birmingham have been mugged for their bikes as well.
It's one of the reasons why I ride an old bike. It's also more likely to stay where I leave it.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
There's a few reports of similar happening in the Limehouse basin in East London recently, including some of the quieter narrow streets and not only the paths... but police seem rather keen to catch them and getting mugged for one's bike is still exceptionally rare. It's still much more likely to be nicked while parked.

This is one of the few times where I think riding stupidly large bikes with strange controls may actually be an advantage, although I'll probably not get as lucky as the local cycling campaigner who left his bike unlocked outside a shop and emerged just in time to see his fixie buck a thief off into the path of a police car!

Not a new problem, though: http://www.bartitsu.org/index.php/2010/06/self-defence-for-bicyclists-1901/

SteveF

With acid attacks more prevalent, it could have been worse, that said, I doubt being stabbed would be much fun.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
As you look at the photo my mums house is in the road on the right. Before that we lived in a house about 200 metres behind the camera.
I moved away from the area when I was about 19 (30 years ago)

There always were some tough nuts knocking around the area, but it's not quite as good as it was, despite what @Crackle says. There are of course some great people living in the area, but it seems to be in a spiral of decline.

An incident like this doesn't surprise me.

Oh, and Great Sutton isn't in Chester. It's close, but it's more a suburb of Liverpool and Southern Ireland (you can tell I went to a catholic school)

Top Bottom