Wales : Clwyd Chester to Llandudno - June 30th 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Pah! :wacko:

From those who brought you "We cancelled the trains in case it really does snow"! :laugh:

ColinJ

I have pencilled the date in my diary and will buy the rail tickets as soon as they become available. Currently, I can only see timetables up to June 14th.

My Cheshire ride will be the first weekend in June and I have now booked the other 3 weekends for family visits etc.

OP
OP
si_c

si_c

Guru
I was going to post an update this weekend about this. I'm definitely going on the 30th, I haven't checked train tickets back yet as I'm not sure if I'm riding or training yet.

I also haven't done a pre-ride yet, so some of the route is not 100% between Fflint and Ruthin, but the rest is pretty much locked in. Some of it will depend on road surfaces and whether the roads have deteriorated over winter.

OP
OP
si_c

si_c

Guru
I've done a pre-ride of the bit through to Ruthin, which was where I had a few concerns about road quality, I'll probably do the rest of it next month, the road up and out of Northop isn't too bad, although there was quite a bit of mud on the road from farm vehicles which made my back wheel spin a bit on the steepest section, but that will have dried out and/or washed away by June.

In terms of gearing, I definitely made a mistake using a 12-25 cassette, I'd suggest at least a 28t largest, but 30 or 32 would be better! I was struggling up a couple of the steeper sections.

ColinJ

In terms of gearing, I definitely made a mistake using a 12-25 cassette, I'd suggest at least a 28t largest, but 30 or 32 would be better! I was struggling up a couple of the steeper sections.
I tell you what - I will use a 12-30 cassette and to be really sure, I will pack a 28 tooth chainring as well! :okay:

OP
OP
si_c

si_c

Guru
I tell you what - I will use a 12-30 cassette and to be really sure, I will pack a 28 tooth chainring as well! :okay:
That's likely to work! I'll probably be swapping the 12-25 for an 11-32/34 depending on what I have kicking around. Either way about the same gearing.

ColinJ

Tickets to Chester are currently showing as more expensive than Advance tickets to Prestatyn ON THE SAME TRAIN (!!!) so unless that changes I will be buying the wrong ticket and getting off the train early ...

@si_c - now the date has been fixed it is time to change to a more definite thread title!

Something imaginative like 30th June 2018 - Extended road ride in North Wales? :whistle:

OP
OP
si_c

si_c

Guru
Cheers @ColinJ should have updated the title a while ago!

This ride is still planned for the 30th June for those who are interested.

Again, just a reminder that it is a bit hilly, around 2300m climbing over the 95ish miles, so you need to be comfortable with that sort of distance and climbing, although the last third is reasonably flat so it's just a rolling fun stretch into Llandudno.

A reminder of the route here.

ColinJ

Sorry, @si_c - I am going to have to pull out of the ride. I was already a bit worried about the current rail problems (trains late, cancelled at short notice, overcrowded etc.). Now, my sister has announced that she is coming up this weekend with my niece and/or nephew. They would only be here for 2 days so it would be a bit selfish of me to disappear for half of that time!

I'll get up early on Saturday and try to get a decent local ride in before my guests arrive.

I do really like the sound of your route though, so maybe we can do it together another time, preferably when the trains are more reliable and less busy?

If you go ahead anyway, enjoy your ride!

OP
OP
si_c

si_c

Guru
Sorry, @si_c - I am going to have to pull out of the ride. I was already a bit worried about the current rail problems (trains late, cancelled at short notice, overcrowded etc.). Now, my sister has announced that she is coming up this weekend with my niece and/or nephew. They would only be here for 2 days so it would be a bit selfish of me to disappear for half of that time!

I'll get up early on Saturday and try to get a decent local ride in before my guests arrive.

I do really like the sound of your route though, so maybe we can do it together another time, preferably when the trains are more reliable and less busy?

If you go ahead anyway, enjoy your ride!

I've just come on to post a reminder about this too, I've been meaning to do it for a few days, but I've been quite busy with work!! I'm still going to be doing this ride if anyone wants to join me - just let me know beforehand. But if nobody does, I'll do the extended route including the run back from Llandudno, of course anyone is welcome to join with that too.

It's been a little less organised than I'd planned it to be honest, but these things happen. This is generally my preferred long loop through North Wales these days, so I'm quite happy to do it another time, July is actually generally quite good for me, so if you give me a week or so's notice I can book it in with Mrs C.

Top Bottom